Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

One of the things that bothered me with the way the bajabug ended up first time round was the rear track. It was way to narrow:
IMG_7270.jpg

The tires don't stick out beyond the fenders. One other thing that bothered me was that it was sitting to high. Not the groundclearens but the body was too high, it was above the floorpan and not over it:
IMG_7271.jpg

And the all black look was just to sinister.
So now, I have stripped the body of paint and here you can really see that it is sitting to high on the floorpan:
IMG_2894-vi.jpg
IMG_2895-vi.jpg

And then there is the wheels!! Check them out!! Slot mags, über cool:D
IMG_2896-vi.jpg
IMG_2897-vi.jpg

And to finish off this update, our very favourite dirt heads and their bajabugs:

I added the black pin stripe along the edge of the gold. 

4957B508-F4E8-44B4-AD8C-234F1A1C4571.thumb.jpeg.7c8e4e5aa61190181b38961de52373c6.jpeg

I laid out a piece of tape on my model mat along one of the guide lines. Cut one edge off to make it perfectly straight. 

7B4BC32C-D266-41AA-8257-DC8919A27429.thumb.jpeg.8f15ba1bb709679609c924a63ef8acf7.jpeg

I just eyeball the width. If it doesn’t look right on the car, I cut another. 

552CD880-9A81-4EC3-BA73-0EEBC0FEC346.thumb.jpeg.b1110d086e35cb8ce544db9496b36f6f.jpeg

042E4413-AA87-4714-8A44-FCE9B90235E7.thumb.jpeg.19ad08548eef7cc94a82c43c6ad962d6.jpeg

9178A5FB-594D-467B-9773-E256C0553FEA.thumb.jpeg.0c79fb69d7d8f76f5b830b4ff6c28401.jpeg

I did did this on both Hurst Olds and only used one 10 inch piece for each. $4.99 for 40 feet should last a while!

2E54D0FC-D320-4FC6-AFF0-3A48F650A396.thumb.jpeg.08bc6bee14c3cc6b59ab19e6c5c06784.jpeg

10 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

The two Oldsmobiles are outstanding, would look great on my shelf. These two have made me consider building them for myself. On silver? I'm wondering what clear to use? I never can get clear to stick on without soaking in and looking dry...

I painted the silver Oldsmobile over 10 years ago. But I believe I used Krylon silver with urethane clearcoat. 

Really nice stuff going on  here guys..That bug is cool Gaute! The Olds are looking really nice Dominick, that pinstriping you did is awesome ! Anthony your 55 is shaping up nicely...

I'm still waiting on decals so I may need to defer into next quarter ...

Anyways, liking this thread...we all need inspiration sometimes, and a deadline does it like nothing else ;)

Cheers

Fabulous progress, everyone! We might actually beat the final number of completions of Round One! (Nine)

I've made significant progress on my '57 Vette, especially with a bunch of that tedious "small stuff" that's not much fun. One more weekend COULD do it! Took a couple pics yesterday but haven't yet had time to process or post them. 

Meanwhile, since we flipped over to Page 17, time for a status update, which goes like this: 

Straightliner59: Junior Fuel Dragster STILL MAKING STEADY AND IMPRESSIVE PROGRESS!

Dave Branson: '70 Chevelle

Belugawrx: Castrol F1 MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Disconovaman: 36 Ford 5-window THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '55 Chevy MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

89AKurt: '48 Chevy truck “Canopy Express”

Modlbldr: '40 Ford “Starlet” FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '65/'96 Mustang MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Snake45: '57 Corvette STILL MAKING STEADY PROGRESS! FINISH LINE IN SIGHT!

Lordmodelbuilder: '69 Camaro

Bobthehobbyguy: Tarantula dragster

Can-Con: '67 Bonneville MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

SuperbirdMcMonte: Jeep Honcho SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! '68 Hurst Olds FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '69 H/O MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Geemoney: '34 Ford

Spex84: '59 Impala

Martin9428: '07 Shelby Mustang

Atmobile: Baja Bug VW

Kool Kat: '67 Mustang drag car

GO GANG! GITTER DONE! B)

I am finally seeing a chance to wrap up my Tarantula.  Body was painted quite a while back. But remaining parts need paint. Cold weather and a case of the doldrums have impeded progress. Finally have some decent weather for painting. Also have secured a decent camera for progress photos. Just have to get it in gear.

12 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

The dull coat helped knock down the shine tremendously.

That is a great finished look. Matter of Fact while I'm at it... If we were voting for the best dead build This one would have my vote! 

All the builds on here have me wanting to dig out my 50 or so Stalled builds and get them done. 

And Snake? you win for the "Best Idea for a Thread" award!

I'm more or less experimenting here and I probably won't like the result although I love the real car painted like this... I always thought GM got it wrong though. I think the colors should've been swapped, (coral top and gray bottom). I've never seen a real one with the two colors reversed. So that's why I decided to do it now... the colors I'm using are darker than the 55 colors but you'll get the point when it's done.

medium_chevrolet-bel-air-sedan-saloon-1955-for-sale.jpg

Screenshot_20190312-103057.png

Screenshot_20190312-101922.jpg

8 hours ago, disconovaman said:

And Snake? you win for the "Best Idea for a Thread" award!

I'd like to thank The Academy....:lol:

As promised, here's some progress on my '57 Vette gasser. Engine is basically done and installed in the chassis (I will be refining and Molotowing the injector scoop yet, though). Didn't put a lot of effort into it because the flip-front is now glued down solid, and the hood is just scribed in, so it's basically a curbside--I'm only interested in what pokes through the hood and is visible through the wheel wells. 

On the body, I got the windshield trimmed and glued into its chrome frame, and the chrome taillight bezels filed and trimmed to where they'd actually fit into their slots in the body--had well over an hour in these two "simple" tasks. I fully expected the headlight bezels to give me similar problems, but to my amazement and utter delight, they press-fit right into the body first shot (they're not even glued), and the lenses fit similarly well into the bezels (secured with white Tacky Glue). The grille, OTOH, is being a royal PITA and I might end up leaving it out altogether. 

I decided to leave the interior in its nice tan molded plastic, with black floor and dashboard. Tan was not a factory '57 color, but, whatever.  I'm in GITTER DONE mode now. 

57VetteGreen32.jpg.02bcbe3d398358c53817674feefc06bd.jpg

57VetteGreen33.jpg.596881a83b998b715abc880186dc9f52.jpg

57VetteGreen34.jpg.c4c548ea6bc0d6afcee18e539c60fa0d.jpg

57VetteGreen36.jpg.1f600b986fdb43b713db709cdd6eeef1.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Tan was not a factory '57 color, but, whatever.

Looks good in tan...

I applied the Coral today  without having any expectations...I knew whatever it was, It was gonna be. But I really like the colors flipped around. 

The directions even show the Shadow/Coral combo... 

I'm rolling now on a ProStreet chassis I can be proud of... more to come.

Screenshot_20190312-164036.jpg

Screenshot_20190312-163844.jpg

Screenshot_20190312-200329.png

All of the builds are looking great. 

Disco- I like the idea of swapping that paint scheme. I say go for it. (Now that I posted I see that you did. Looks great)

I will be working on the Mustang a bit tomorrow with plans to really hit it this weekend and make some decent progress.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Looks good in tan...

I kinda thought so, too, which is why I left it. I can always paint it black or white or whatever later, if the mood strikes me. 

I like your Coral color. I think it's more coral-y than the factory color, which means it's even better. B)

Been working on a lot of non-sexy stuff, like making cable assemblies for the throttle and the fuel shut-off. I got the clutch linkage installed, as well as a couple of tabs in the cockpit that I forgot to install, earlier (I'm finding a lot of that stuff! :wacko:). I also did some work on the steering box mount, and am hoping to get that all put together, later today/this evening. If I can, I should be able to install the cables, the steering shaft and butterfly, and perhaps get the body mounted. That would be a huge step, and a huge inspiration! I designed a possible graphic for the cowl--see below.  I need to install a helmet bar, too, as that was another oversight on my part! DUH!

mad mouse.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

That graphic looks really cool!!

I have had a set-back here. I had glued on the new wheels earlier this week and came home from work the other day to find that my 6 year old son had wanted to play with it. With the wheels glued, it does not roll very well and the result is a broken front suspension:mellow:

IMG_2924-vi.jpg

IMG_2926-vi.jpg
Here you can see what it should look like, I'm not sure at the moment if I can rescue the front suspension I have or if I want to scratchbuild another one.

Atmobile, I feel your pain, having very recently restored the chassis of a very glue-bombed and broken up Revell EMPI Imp, which broke into even MORE pieces as I went. But I persevered and got it back together, eventually. For your inspiration, a couple Before and After pics: 

EMPIImp04.jpg.eb0426776a07820f122f78089d5980f9.jpg

EMPIImp08.jpg.9bfe8b3ad297dc149ed2f2ce630a813c.jpg

EMPIImp16.jpg.3a9cfacf6121578a9236d2cbeaaba8c4.jpg

EMPIImp18.jpg.33c6850cc51a3c9180ecca2b39aa5c4b.jpg

Now, drive on! GITTER DONE! B)