Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

Hey Snake. I should have checked this thread a few hours ago. Went digging and found the hood. 

Good to see you already have one though.  ;)

About the Riv wheels. The Astro wheels are still in the kit. The 1/1 wheels weren't aluminum, just stamped steel and plated. 

astro_ad.jpg

The Skylark wires are also in the kit. one of my favorite wheels. 

Oddly, the same two wheels are in the Silhouette kit but the wires are narrower so a regular size tire fits them.

10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Hey Snake. I should have checked this thread a few hours ago. Went digging and found the hood. 

Good to see you already have one though.  ;)

About the Riv wheels. The Astro wheels are still in the kit. The 1/1 wheels weren't aluminum, just stamped steel and plated. 

astro_ad.jpg

The Skylark wires are also in the kit. one of my favorite wheels. 

Oddly, the same two wheels are in the Silhouette kit but the wires are narrower so a regular size tire fits them.

No problem, old friend, SMcM took care of me and I'm good. B)

Might have to pick up one of those new reissue Rivs just for the wheels--and the box. That's the box my original one was in. 

Making steady progress. Got the paint on last weekend and will spend this week color-sanding and polishing it out. Also found some green paint that's a near-perfect match for the old Pactra Leaf Green in the interior, for some much-needed touchup. No progress pics at this time, you'll just have to take my word for it. 

Have also about 95% decided on the paint for the '66 Chevelle. Was going to experiment on it and try a dark brown pearl nail polish, or perhaps a bronze craft acrylic, but time is running out and I don't have time to experiment, or risk a disaster, strip, and repaint. So I think I'll be going with Testor Root Beer, which I just found a new can of in the Snakepit last week. It looks very close to what I've had in mind in color for the thing from the beginning. 

I got the manifold in paint,  this morning. I need to reopen the holes for the port nozzles. Injectors and fuel lines are all but ready to install. I am using model railroad bolts I modified, for the injectors (port nozzles). I may be able to get those installed, tomorrow morning, after work. I got a pleasant surprise, when I painted the manifold, in that, it looked better than I thought it would! :D After the induction, and its inherent plumbing, I will build the headers. I need to drill the holes for the windscreen rivets, and install those, as well. I've made "hella" progress in the past two or three weeks!

083DAD1C-5AC0-403B-8A5F-FFFC9CDE7C30.thumb.jpeg.01752c942d4ba1a890373826bcdf3b3b.jpeg48E3B6C4-588C-439B-87F4-B675601FC74F.thumb.jpeg.1bd1e3a6ec481215e8073993d5a84148.jpeg

Ya know.... here's the "savings" of using cheapo paint.  While I was looking for the correct color to match the hardware store paint on the truck, I bought a few cans of colors I thought it might be.  This is Krylon  Yellow over Duplicolor primer.  Nothing but trouble.  Can says  "Drys in 10 minutes!"   Nope!   Can says  "Recoat within 10 minutes or after 24 hours"   Nope!  I've recoated after a week to have it crinkle up instantly.   I had everything to  minorly acceptable until I decided to add the stripe to the hood. I've since managed to strip / sand this all down and I repainted it over Duplicolor primer yesterday.  So I'll wait a week or so to see about a second coat.    Sucks!  If I had used Duplicolor or Tamiya paints I'd be on to final assembly by now!

In the meantime I've been working on the bed.  I was working on the rear steps and seating yesterday.   Still pluggin

Edited by Tom Geiger

14 hours ago, dave branson said:

I am going to jump in with a Firebird Trans AM and try to finish for Memphis show in 2 weeks. I started this in 1991 used Fred Cady decals, my resin cast Honeycomb rims fuzzy fur on the interior.

003.JPG

That looks like a project you can GITTER DONE in the next two weeks, so I'll go ahead and add you to the next update. Welcome aboard! B)

Snake I won't make the finish. 

Got t-boned by a pair of street racers that ran a red light.

Crotch rocket into the drivers door.

Camaro took the drivers rear quarter and turned me on my side.

Still very sore from being snapped around like a whip. 

Hope to get back in if you decide on another.

Standing by on the sidelines. 

13 hours ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

Snake I won't make the finish. 

Got t-boned by a pair of street racers that ran a red light.

Hope to get back in if you decide on another.

Standing by on the sidelines. 

Will withdraw you with honor, and hope you get everything sorted out happily and soon. 

Meanwhile, paint's on the '65 Riv, and polished out. The finish line is in sight! B)

65RivieraGB61.jpg.91466068c2c5e53fadceeef5cf56bced.jpg

65RivieraGB60.jpg.714159a2b8b8c1b4904810625d7286cf.jpg

The '66 Chevelle body is ready for primer. Notice that I've foiled the front fender crossed flag emblems; this will be the "foil under paint" technique. 

66ChevelleMono24.jpg.f7e7c872fc09c95940f52ece075b82ed.jpg

66ChevelleMono25.jpg.f1c7b130d3a75f5fcbabcda65e5f4658.jpg

Edited by Snake45

Finally got all the injector/hose assemblies installed, after much cursing, and crawling around on the floor, searching for the "dearly departed"! I have found rods for the butterflies, in some fine stainless spring steel wire. I have the barrel valve painted, and its fittings installed. Will get the linkage arm installed on that, next, then, it will be added to the manifold assembly. There's a possibility I can achieve my goal of having the manifold installed on the engine, overnight, tonight! I also have the header pipes cut and bent, and the flanges drilled. I need to cut/file/sand those to shape, then I can solder the pipes to the flanges. If this thing doesn't fight me so hard, and I have a very productive night, maybe both of those assemblies can be installed, by morning! Here's hoping!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr-b.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 10:26 PM, dave branson said:

I am going to jump in with a Firebird Trans AM and try to finish for Memphis show in 2 weeks. I started this in 1991 used Fred Cady decals, my resin cast Honeycomb rims fuzzy fur on the interior.

001.JPG

003.JPG

063.JPG

004.JPG

066.JPG

065.JPG

I really like your Trans Am. This reminds me of a movie, I can't remember the name, that had John Wyane as a privet detective and he drove a Trans Am in the same shade of dark Green.   

I think I am going to take a crack at finishing this one up while waiting for parts to dry on my 1912 T buildup. This is going to be a model of a local collector's Cord L-29, Phaeton Sedan, 1930. It will be a curbside and as been on/off my workbench since the last weekend of June, 1982. So, a 37 year bring out your dead. I feel it's time to either finish it or chuck it in the trash.

20190618_071515.jpg

20190618_071559.jpg

4 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I think I am going to take a crack at finishing this one up while waiting for parts to dry on my 1912 T buildup. This is going to be a model of a local collector's Cord L-29, Phaeton Sedan, 1930. It will be a curbside and as been on/off my workbench since the last weekend of June, 1982. So, a 37 year bring out your dead. I feel it's time to either finish it or chuck it in the trash.

20190618_071515.jpg

Are you looking to GITTER DONE by the end of the month? If so, I'll put you down for Round 3. If you don't think you can have it done by then, I'll wait and hold you for Round 4 (assuming we have one). B)

36 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

Oh...round 4 for sure.

No problem, Eric. 

Which reminds me, new page, update time: 

Round 3: FINISH DATE JUNE 30 2019

RobertW: Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune

Straightliner59: Junior Fueler Dragster MAKING STEADY PROGRESS! FINISH LINE IN SIGHT!

BelugaWRX: Wolf WR1

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Dave Branson: Fujimi BMW H5 FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Chaparral 2D FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE Moving on to '70 Trans Am

NAFAW9: HO scale Boss 302, HO scale Freightliner  WITHDRAWN WITH HONOR 

Geemoney: ’34 Ford

Disconovaman: Probably some kind of pickup—’55 Ford?

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window

Bandit1: Peterbilt 377

Prostreeter69: ’48 Ford

Snake45: ’66 Chevelle, '65 Riviera MAKING STEADY PROGRESS ON BOTH! RIVIERA PAINTED!

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Monte Carlo FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Austin Gasser THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '58 Impala

Modlbldr: '65 Mustang

Cdubya: '55 Chevy SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

JunkyardJeff: '34 Ford truck

RemingtonBox: Nissan GTR

Tom Geiger: '50 Ford pickup MAKING GOOD PROGRESS! COMING RIGHT ALONG!

We got a little less than two weeks to go, gang. Two full weekends, though. GITTER DONE!

Edited by Snake45

An hour or so of cruising this thread I am caught up. Wow there are real nice builds in here going on. It's infectious to see all the resurrected builds going on. I have been fighting the urge to jump in with one of my stalls from 10yrs ago, but I'm going to stay focused on my current Batmobile project. 

I can see this thread being a staple and a catalyst for many stalled builders on here.

Good call Snake on starting this group build project thread. 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:16 PM, Snake45 said:

Are you looking to GITTER DONE by the end of the month? If so, I'll put you down for Round 3. If you don't think you can have it done by then, I'll wait and hold you for Round 4 (assuming we have one). B)

I might be up for round 4. I'm curious, tho, as to the length of time per round & the consequences of not finishing? Have several projects in mind...

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

I might be up for round 4. I'm curious, tho, as to the length of time per round & the consequences of not finishing? Have several projects in mind...

The rounds are 3 months/90 days, i.e., if there's enough interest for Round 4, it will close September 30. If you don't finish something, we either mock you mercilessly, or, more truthfully, just say nothing about it at all. Not a big deal. The idea is just to motivate us to GITTER DONE, in many cases after years of inactivity and neglect. B)

Tom Geiger and I are supposed to get going on our 57 and 56 Revell Chevies respectively for the next round. 

My everlovin firstborn is getting married September 14th, so I  may not git er dun until the next round...?

Snake, are you going to do that Corvair this round? ?

Edited by Sam I Am