Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

6 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

Snake, are you going to do that Corvair this round? ?

It doesn't qualify for a BOYD build, as I didn't start it over a year ago. But glad you asked, 'cause I've been wanting to talk to you about that thing. After I stripped the paint off, the body underneath was GORGEOUS, near mint, with all the emblems and so forth completely intact and very little if any glue or putty damage. I know I promised you I'd "restore" it but (lucky for me) you didn't specify "restore it as is." B) So here's what I did: I went on eBay and bought another one, with some missing parts and a boogered up (slightly) body, and I already have in the Snakestash a red 4-door promo I bought a couple years ago with a very warped body but most of the trim parts (headlights and such) present. So my plan at the moment is to try to get two complete 1G Corvair models out of the three--a stock-ish one, polished white plastic (though I might do something cool about the wheels/tires), and one with the high-zoot custom goodies off the one I got from you with early '60s custom-type paint. Sound good? B)

getPart?uid=ANmAukEPoJ8CXQu_6AoGaI8QGK8&partId=2&saveAs=IMG_1725.jpg&scope=STANDARD

I keep on pluggin' along!   I found this nice tropical fabric on the JoAnne's site and appropriated the image for my own purposes.  I scaled it down to match my vision and printed!  At first I thought I'd be printing it on decal stock, or even fabric but found simple is better.. that 20 lb bond paper wrapped around basswood cushions just dandy!  I used Elmers Glue. I made the cushions the other evening, all the edges were sanded round like cushions would be.  I spent my lunch hour today wrapping them.   I was pretty darn anxious to see how they looked, thus the above photo! 

I am pleased that the fabric will overpower the other elements in the interior, and add another color to the model.  Note that they are not in their final positions, just laid in there for the photo.

I don't know if I will be able to finish on time.  I'm flying out on business on Sunday and won't be back until next weekend.  And I'm having a grand time with this one so I don't want to marathon it!

I'm glad to see all the progress with everyone's projects I enjoy reading and seeing updates. I wish I could get going on my 55 Ford... it's not in the cards this round I'm afarid.

We have been trying to sell the house and we had a vacation scheduled right in middle of that... so for the past week I've been out of the state...

Also I learned some sad news about one of our model car communities dear friend's passing. Bob Linkous was known for going the distance to find good build-ups and selling them cheap... So I have a memorial project for him planned and I will be sweeping the bench and working on that when I get home.

In his younger days he was known for building old style oval dirt track cars... A friend of mine aquired one of his originals and I plan on building a replica of that car. Here is the orginal.  I stopped by the Hobby Lobby today in Sevierville Tn. and picked up a Pepper Shaker for the build. It will be these colors,numbers, and sponsorship... along with pipe bumpers and some personal details of Bob's to connect him to the car. 

57 chevy.jpg

I've made some progress but not as much as I would have liked. Have not gotten any bench time due to health issues. However I am now back on the bench. I got a modified AMT  wagon rod rear axle install on rear of chassis and am using a Monogram 32 ford front axle. The last two days I have been working on the interior and have made significant progress. This was major progress because that was what stalled this project. Will provide pictures when I get a chance. Will continue to drag this one to completion. If I can get the remainng fabrication done by the end of the month I will be happy.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, Snake45 said:

There are so many great projects underway in the "Bring Out Your Dead" thread, quite a few of which wouldn't take a whole lot to get across the finish line. I have a couple in that category myself (and earlier this year, I actually finished up three that would have qualified for the Dead thread). Anyone want to join me in committing to dragging one or more of these projects off the Shelf of Doom and actually finishing it by the end of the year? It could be fun! B)

Man, it's good that you didn't say which year!* Here's one I dreamt up in about 2015 and did a little work on it then let it rest for a couple of years. Earlier this year I got back to it but then stopped to work on others. See pix of its progress here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131480986@N08/albums/72157706546512444

32704152107_c2cc0bfc7a_b.jpg

The '66 Riv has the body narrowed but the four fenders are more-or-less in their original locations.

EDIT: * I just saw that the newest deadline will be June 30, 2019 — two days from now.

Edited by chepp

On 5/28/2019 at 8:34 PM, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.3ca6e13f6fc8956eda775bc44287ce5d.png

Been working a bit...  this is a 1950 Ford Jitney bus like you'd take for a tour of a tropical island.  The back was made from sides of the Monogram Tom Daniel Paddy wagon many years ago. I was away for the entire 3 day weekend so I got to sit down for a bit over my lunch hour today.

I stared at it for quite a while.  Then I mocked up the seats inside after many different ideas.  And here it is with the roof mocked up on it.  

image.png.22951d43da8591cccc664fbe7fae8bad.png

Not sure how I missed this one, but it is always great to see your projects Tom!

13 minutes ago, chepp said:

Man, it's good that you didn't say which year!* Here's one I dreamt up in about 2015 and did a little work on it then let it rest for a couple of years. Earlier this year I got back to it but then stopped to work on others. See pix of its progress here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131480986@N08/albums/72157706546512444

The '66 Riv has the body narrowed but the four fenders are more-or-less in their original locations.

EDIT: * I just saw that the newest deadline will be June 30, 2019 — two days from now.

This should look amazing when done, but these projects can be daunting. Please hang in there, I look forward to seeing it progress.

12 hours ago, chepp said:

There will probably be a Round 4 that will start July 1 and end September 30. Stay tuned. 

Edited by Snake45

21 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

Snake, Tom Geiger said he would bring out his '57 Nomad if I did one of mine. So I am jumping in with a '56 Belair. 

Cool, you are on Sam!

I am back home from a week away, business trip to west coast, so I got in zero model work done!  I’m still plugging along on the 1950 Ford but will drag out that Nomad

Edited by Tom Geiger

9 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cool, you are on Sam!

I am back home from a week away, business trip to west coast, so I got in zero model work done!  I’m still plugging along on the 1950 Ford but will drag out that Nomad

I might join you with a '57 Chevy I started in 2010. Or was it 2014? Whatever, it was years ago and thus qualifies. 

23 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

My Nomad dates back to the late 1980s when I got back into the hobby. I had just finished the 57 Ford and started the Nomad, never to finish it!

You just reminded me, I have TWO '55 Nomads on the Shelf of Doom--one a clean street cruiser, the other an old-school box-stock gasser. Maybe I'll drag one of those out for Round 4, too.