Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

Here is my gitter done project for this next/current round. (A Lindberg 1:32 scale '49 Ford) Its been on the list for awhile. Mostly needing paint & detailing. I think the body work is done & awaits primer to confirm. I'm planning to use wheels/tires from the '56 Ford kit as the kit wheels/tires have vague & confusing engraving. The yellow wheel is from a '56 builder for illustration. I have a set of tires started. the wheels will be body color (red). White sidewalls still need to be painted. The "chrome" pieces have been painted black and await a coat of Alclad. They are currently stored along w/Cunningham "chrome" waiting Alcad. & not pictured here. (The Cunningham is a "dead" restoration project).IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.7b379b047948f6aec50754d6de092fb5.JPGIMG_1897.thumb.JPG.517e51ab079a9a0356196aebf52b62f8.JPGIMG_1900.thumb.JPG.675884e8fcaa11def63010ae6bd27814.JPGIMG_1893.thumb.JPG.0d38deb0d473d26298ff4e93ab098ed8.JPGIMG_1895.thumb.JPG.c547a00c7e5450e6e844cf0d1e9a0604.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

So I have this 69 Chevelle that needs to be finished... I can't even remember how long ago It was started (that long)... The color is Testors Enamel Burgundy Purple metal flake. and I haven't used that kind of paint for a long time... This build is inspired by a car that used to ride around our town in the 80's with this color (he called it Brandywine)... I built the car and painted it with Testors and was an exact match. I spent some time on it today and wet sanded and polished the paint. I hope to get this finished soon but aside from the body painted and some interior work it needs completely built. I officially am calling this my entry.

Screenshot_20190706-233351.jpg

Just now, Snake45 said:

69 Camaro, a '57 Chevy, and an AMT C2 Vette. Pic

3 of my favorites...

I plan on squeezing my 55 Ford in if I can find the inspiration... It's weird how sometimes I can see a project done and because of that reason just quit on it... I have to force myself to finish it... 

Also, I have the 72 Chevy Stepside longbed... and an 88 mustang, 66 Chevelle, Some dead 69 Camaros etc... etc... yeah, you know...

What the hell? I'll jump in with this SS/GT Firebird. It's a slammer. I just need to figure out how I am going to add the garnet red paint, to what's here. I didn't plan the paint layout, very well. It's an AMT Snap Fast kit begun in January of '07. It will be good to get it in the display case!

IMG_1951cr.JPG

IMG_1956cr.JPG

IMG_1957cr.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

2.jpg

Here’s what I’ll be working on for BOYD Round 4.

Revell ’69 Camaro snapper: Started around 2014 (maybe even before) painted and polished out about this time last year and not worked on since. All it needs is final detailing and assembly, but the hangup has been modifying the kit’s inaccurate RS grille into something more acceptable. After several hours of tedious work, it’s not quite half done. If I can’t get that thing finished by deadline time, I’ll just swap in a standard grille from a glue kit and drive on.

’57 Chevy snapper: Again, started around 2014 or maybe a few years before. I’ve removed all the chrome and candy from the body except for the iconic side spears and plan to shoot it in semigloss black primer. The hangup is I need to mask off the window and spear chrome trim, which has been airbrushed Testor Chrome Silver, which is a job I have been dreading and putting off for years now. Time to drive on.

AMT ’65-’66 Corvettes: Been playing with all three of these for several years, though haven’t really worked on them in many months now. I’m gonna try to get AT LEAST one of them done this round.  The ’65 with the hard top will be built as a street freak with a 6-71 coming through the hood. Next to that is a ’65 body that’s being built as a road racer using all kit race parts from a ’66 kit. The one in back is a ’66 that will be built as a box-stock custom. The idea with the last two is to do them exactly as someone might have built these kits in 1965-66, using only kit parts with the possible exception of the tires.

BOYDRound401.jpg.87e810c5d3b750ac1883b7616deeded8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This frigging Mini Freightshaker is fighting me all the way broke the frame trying to make the suspension.

The suspension has to be all scratched in 1/87 scale and is getting frustrating but i'm still trying to plug along. 

Now on my 4th frame Arrrrrrrrrgggh. 

No other updates till i get this thing figured out. 

My no progress report!

Since my July 4 report, I've spent a week in Seattle on business and this week my daughter had twin baby daughters.  So we are in NJ babysitting my first grand daughter.  Life comes before model cars!

I have been pluggin' along on the '50 Ford.  I have the decals.. round two... on the body and finally am satisfied with them.  And I went through the parts inventory and added the missing bits, prepped and painted them all.   At this point, when I get time, I believe we are in the home stretch on this one!

Then it will be onward to the Nomad.

17 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Making good progress John, I should have mine up on wheels soon but a trip to the flee-market and a collection of Glue bomb build ups has me sidetracked for the moment...

20190721_210048.png

Ohhh i like that gto and the flip nose malibu's...

@Snake45

Mini Freightshaker is dead just can't get the suspension to work out right in 1/87.

Replaced the frame 7 times because of errors that caused it to break. 

So see what I can come up with in my partially built stack of what I have laying around that's at least over a year old. 

Had high hopes to get it done but it just isn't going to happen.

Edited by NothingAsFineAsaW9

On 7/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, disconovaman said:

Making good progress John, I should have mine up on wheels soon but a trip to the flee-market and a collection of Glue bomb build ups has me sidetracked for the moment...

20190721_210048.png

That green 1G Camaro looks interesting. Is it "rescue-able"? Would love to see you do something with that. (Or would love to just see more pictures of it.) 

Also, do you have any plans for those Monogram '66 Chevelles? My own, which I was working for the last round of BOYD, got stalled after painting due to missing engine and chassis parts. I was gonna look for a glue bomb Monogram '64 GTO at the next toy show (first weekend of August) for a chassis; I see you have one of those here, too. 

If you're interested in working out any kind of deals, email me at SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com. 

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That green 1G Camaro looks interesting. Is it "rescue-able"?

None of the "painted" kits are rescue-able The camaro is painted with automotive paint and it wont strip. 

The GTO has the engine so glued that it's welded to the chassis.. And he loved brush painting, It's not even worth the shipping cost...lol. The only cars that I can salvage are the non-painted Chevelles and only because I have a small Monogram flip nose Chevelle junkyard and U can use parts from those to fix these. I'll see what I have leftover from that.

20190724_075533.jpg

Screenshot_20190724-075645.jpg

Thanks for the run gang but going back to real racing ?. 

All models are going to generate funds my collection will start to be posted on fleabay.

As i don't want to violate the no selling here.

these are a couple of pics of my last Hot Rod.

Have fun. 

IMG_20190722_152116.jpg

IMG_20190722_152132.jpg

Edited by NothingAsFineAsaW9

Anudder no progress report!   I did get the '50 Ford's flathead wired correctly this time!  I wanted to finish the chassis so I spent a few hours cursing at the shock absorbers and their non-cooperation to fall into place.  Finally got them sorta right, then touched up the paint on them that got scratched or worn in the process.

The shock absorber dilemma was accentuated by the big mess on the workbench.  So this morning I spent an hour or so clearing it off and sorting out everything I need to finish this project.   There is no stock horn, so I pulled one out of my parts bins and drilled / attached a mounting pin to it. I laid out all the parts on my side table and test fit a few things.   Another set back - I tried the fenders onto the body and found I had placed the Island Tours decals too low!  Right into the frigging fenders.  I dumped the body into the sink and soaked the decals off.  I will have to make another batch!   Argh.   This will be the third batch!

I decided to solve the warped fender unit by using a new one from my extensive '50 Ford pickup parts bin.  A few years ago I dumped something like 6 of this kit into a bin and am happily building out of it.  New fender unit has been painted yellow with the screwy hardware store paint that takes forever to dry.  It will need a second coat.  

So this puppy has been messing with me every step of the way.  I should've lost patience by now.   I'm hoping to have it finished for my club meeting next Saturday.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

So this puppy has been messing with me every step of the way. 

Sounds like the '57 Vette gasser that took me 15 years (including paint that took forever to dry) to finish just in time to make the BOYD Round 2 deadline. Courage, my friend, and drive on! B)