Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Sounds like the '57 Vette gasser that took me 15 years (including paint that took forever to dry) to finish just in time to make the BOYD Round 2 deadline. Courage, my friend, and drive on! B)

Okay this one isn't that bad... my earliest photos are 2005!   This one should've been done other than all the do overs!   I had to build the engine twice.  I am decaling the body three times. I am cleaning up and painting a second fender unit and this darn cheap paint is driving me crazy!  

But I am determined!  It's sooo close!   Just a lot of nitpicking little details and final assembly.

I think its time I entered the "Bring Out Your Dead" effort to get this project completed!  This one has been at this stage-of-completion for nearly 5 years.  Yes, it's the old, often-disliked 1/25 MPC 1967 Pontiac GTO kit.  I did some improvements to make my build more accurate to the 1:1, but didn't get too serious about all the needed revisions.  Building it as a Day-2 car with some minor performance enhancements added to the engine and exhaust.  The interior is completed and flocked; the body painted in a color similar to 1967 Pontiac Fathom Blue.  This kit was molded in that Dark Blue styrene, so I didn't mess with primer; just painted it a Dark Blue like Fathom Blue.  I also altered the body to make it a non-hardtop/2-door sedan by adding in window frames. 

The reason this build stopped 5 years ago was the kit's glass; molded in that crazy-Dark Brown color that would end-up hiding nearly everything in the interior.  I wanted to replace it with clear glass, but that's where it stalled.  Here's a couple of pics.

GTO Pic2 (799x800).jpg

GTO Pic1 (800x569).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, dave branson said:

when are these builds suppose to be completed??

This round closes the last day of September. Which reminds me, time for an update and to add '70 Grande to the list: 

ROUND 4: FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30 2019

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window

Dave Branson: '70 Trans Am

Tom Geiger: '50 Ford Truck, 57 Nomad

SamIAm: '56 Chevy

NAFAW9: HO scale Freightliner

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Disconovaman: '69 Chevelle

Straightliner59: '93 Firebird

Snake45: '69 Camaro, '65-'66 Vette

70 Grande: '67 GTO

GITTER DONE! 

10 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Snake! 

Can I throw my 58 impala convertible back into the ring?  This one was started in the last bring out your dead period.

Absolutely! I'll add you to the next update. B)

BTW, I decided a while back to add one more rule to the BOYD builds, but haven't publicized it yet: You can enter a model in two consecutive rounds, but not three. If you haven't finished a BOYD project after six months, it's officially dead again. This is why I didn't re-list the Monogram '66 Chevelle I had going in Round 3. I had it painted by the end of Round 3, but wasn't sure I could get the chassis sorted out by the end of Round 4. I might put it back in for Round 5 if we have one, as I've found a chassis and now just need to put together a suitable engine. 

Meanwhile, I've accomplished precious little on my declared Round 4 projects. Haven't lifted a finger on the '69 Camaro. Have been working toward getting one of the C2 Vettes ready for paint; with luck and effort I can at least get primer on it Labor Day weekend. After the paint goes on, that one SHOULD progress pretty smoothly. In other words, I'm still hoping to get something done this round. 

Wow! Counting down the days agian...  So with the Revell Camaro out of my system... momentarily,  I am dedicating the month to finishing the Chevelle and My Barbecue Chopped f-100. If y'all see me posting on here with anything else call me out! lol...

Screenshot_20190903-113138.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

I haven't forgotten this. I am just stumped about how to finish this paint job. I want to shoot some metallic red on this, but can't decide on a design. It's so bad, that I don't even have an idea about what to do with it! I want to keep the white, and the gold and use the red to divide them. I am open to suggestions! Hoping for some, actually!

IMG_1951cr.JPG

IMG_1956cr.JPG

IMG_1957cr.jpg

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I haven't forgotten this. I am just stumped about how to finish this paint job. I want to shoot some metallic red on this, but can't decide on a design. It's so bad, that I don't even have an idea about what to do with it! I want to keep the white, and the gold and use the red to divide them. I am open to suggestions! Hoping for some, actually!

IMG_1957cr.jpg

Drive on and finish it up and put it on your shelf and declare victory. You can always come back and do the red later. 

If I wanted red on that one, I'd do it with red stripe decals. Somebody used to make these...ScaleMaster, maybe? 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Drive on and finish it up and put it on your shelf and declare victory. You can always come back and do the red later. 

If I wanted red on that one, I'd do it with red stripe decals. Somebody used to make these...ScaleMaster, maybe? 

At some point (maybe even  now) I had a sheet of red stripes. I think mine were Microscale. I actually used them to do a dragster. This thing needs a rebuild!

VOALRre.jpg

VOALRTop.jpg

VOARRside.jpg

Several stalled builds just waiting for some attention. 

This one, I’d really like to get back to. It’s been a few years since I even touched it. Converting a Galaxie to a Ford 300 is a bit challenging for me. 

Still have some putty and filling to do on the small scratches where the trim was removed. Also looking for a better bench seat. Or I’ll skip the tub altogether and go with the resin seats in the next pic. 

Dont laugh at the posts, they are not staying  that way. 

D31FDA94-AFF4-482B-ACAA-61905E723968.jpeg

DCCD674B-1D80-4E43-BB1E-4AADCD59EF43.jpeg

8685B005-5758-4A5F-B55D-44F38F56918B.jpeg

D35906C0-BFB8-4FB1-8E22-C759CD22051E.jpeg

5D38C914-9F97-47CA-A84A-06C312FC80D4.jpeg

AB517D1E-9A57-4D6B-A8BD-F2A79A1E7ABA.jpeg

2859EB4D-5F24-406A-AC2B-82851B3A9DC8.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

Several stalled builds just waiting for some attention. 

This one, I’d really like to get back to. It’s been a few years since I even touched it. Converting a Galaxie to a Ford 300 is a bit challenging for me. 

Still have some putty and filling to do on the small scratches where the trim was removed. Also looking for a better bench seat. Or I’ll skip the tub altogether and go with the resin seats in the next pic. 

Dont laugh at the posts, they are not staying  that way. 

D31FDA94-AFF4-482B-ACAA-61905E723968.jpeg

8685B005-5758-4A5F-B55D-44F38F56918B.jpeg

Great project Tom.  I've consider trying this conversion myself.

5 minutes ago, afx said:

Great project Tom.  I've consider trying this conversion myself.

Thanks JC. I just wish I started out with a better resin body. Drag City used to make a beautiful body, complete with the door posts. Ed told me he doesn’t cast that one anymore. I sure wish he did because I would buy three of them on the spot. 

Other than that, if I started back on this project, I’d probably have it done in a week or so. 

The black rubber seal around the windshield gives it a more symmetrical look. Also I wanted a pinstripe around the panel stripes on the hood so I masked off those and painted a purplish pink stripe... off to the races!

I did take some time out to print some decals for the Bad man 57 build to make it more personal... I know I said I was gonna focus on the Dead Builds but that's it, all I'm gonna do til I get these two done.

20190907_141010.jpg

Screenshot_20190907-141037.jpg

Screenshot_20190907-141112.jpg

Every time I get on this forum, this thread shows up, and a little voice says "what about ME?" ?  I've started, AND finished, a few projects since I touched the '48 Chevy Canopy Express.  I set it on the bench yesterday, and looked at it for about 90 seconds.  I know what needs to get done, the floor, the rail edge (tubing is the plan) and jamb edges.  I saw another project, with a shot much like this picture, but it has a floor. ?  I've used the Stealth Indy Pace Car for trying out a patina finish, now I know that I should use crushed Himalayan salt. ?  I'm capable of kit-bashing incongruent subjects, that are more radical than this, one being a resin body, so no excuse to *not* finish this!!!! ?  Now I have the end of this month for the deadline. ⏱️ There is the Phoenix IPMS show November 2, so it would be nice to have another entry. I'm on a roll of building, need to keep up steam.......

8 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Finished the dead 1958 Impala last night!

CEDD4147-8CA1-483F-9E1B-55EDC6D53071.thumb.jpeg.7e2976d87b5347dad0d0377027f31a3a.jpeg

I don't have you down as registering for this round, but you did have this one registered for Round 3, and since you've been a good friend and active participant of the BOYD builds, and since we don't have a single completion announced yet, I'm gonna register you retroactively and declare you FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! BOO-YA! B)