Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I don't have you down as registering for this round, but you did have this one registered for Round 3, and since you've been a good friend and active participant of the BOYD builds, and since we don't have a single completion announced yet, I'm gonna register you retroactively and declare you FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! BOO-YA! B)

Well thank you very much!??

I was somewhat late I guess, August 27th

7BB9170B-3593-43AE-B39C-5898C4BF699D.thumb.jpeg.9668c7abb73a4225e34d618241b8d654.jpeg7767D2C7-7D0E-4EE1-9722-9D8E8F696A8B.thumb.jpeg.aa862c866863aac1de8303b4f827d2c2.jpeg

30 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Great look on the truck.  Colors look great. Is the graphic on the door a decal?

Sure is, I designed it and printed with my printer and water slide decal sheet from a company called Blinggasm... stuff works great! My son's name is Jay so I named the company after him lol...

Screenshot_20190911-200254.jpg

30 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Sure is, I designed it and printed with my printer and water slide decal sheet from a company called Blinggasm... stuff works great! My son's name is Jay so I named the company after him lol...

I've been using the Blinggasm paper for a couple of years, now. I love it! It's very reasonably priced, too!

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I'm very happy with the line!

I am too... my only complaint is (and this isn't about the product) but I wish I could use the clear decal sheet on dark colors but I'd have to get a printer that prints white, gold or silver.

I beleive decals that come in kits have a two part printing process, one printer for the white and another for the designs. I could be wrong but the backs usually have a thin white layer of ink...

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I beleive decals that come in kits have a two part printing process, one printer for the white and another for the designs. I could be wrong but the backs usually have a thin white layer of ink...

Correct. The white layer behind is called the "mask".  I believe it's all printed in the same process.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:19 PM, disconovaman said:

Working steady on both of my entrys... I had a few set backs on the truck and that will effect the finished product but oh well. I'll have to keep goin, no time to backtrack now... here is some progress...

20190911_171440.jpg

Cool look. How did you do the swirl marks on the copper? That's neat.

Charlie Larkin

"Killing it Gene!" The Chevelle is  99.9% finished... well, as much as I want the build to be... My vision was always to finish the car the way I built the original one back in 1988,  (minus my little cousin's fingerprint right in the middle of the roof... lol!)

As I had stated before it is a replica of a 69 Chevelle, this guy in my town named Steve Fitzgerald owned. Like many street machines of the day it evolved over the years... But I built this way it was when I built the first kit. It was a Big block from the factory but he burnt a piston and replaced it with a 350 small block. 

It also had satin Centerlines on it which he later swapped for polished Centerlines around 91-92 (pretty much the last time I seen the car). I'd like to know where the car went now that I've been reminiscing about it.

It  was a show stopper... It had white interior 4 speed, deep sounding exhaust (before flowmasters) so, not sure what mufflers... We'd park in town and hang out and watch everyone cruise around. Good times!

I like doing these kinds of builds because it allows me to provoke old memories of my younger days. As I'm working on this kit I'm thinking of the real car and the model I built of it back then too. Very inspiring I must say.

Now on to finishing up the chopped Ford. I'm in the middle of packing for the move and doing small repairs to this house.. all while refinishing old furniture... (my new hobby) but I'll make time to get it whipped! lol thanks agian for this thread, it really does work! 

Screenshot_20190917-092914.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-104501.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-122110.jpg

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Been having a severe case of the blahs. Just have not been motivated . However looming deadline has gotten me back in gear.

I feel your pain, my friend. Have made little actual progress on any of the 3 Vettes, have done NOTHING on the '57 Chevy (meet you next round, Tom?). Am now working feverishly to try to drag the '69 Camaro across the finish line. I just now finished off a little task that I've been putting off for over a year involving the headlights. It's not gonna end up the way I wanted it when I started it, but I'm hoping to have it DONE enough to declare it so by the deadline. :unsure:

DRIVE ON, EVERYONE! GITTER DONE! B)

On 9/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Got some color on the 32. Needs another coat.

Wow, I like the Color combo on the 32!

On 9/21/2019 at 1:59 PM, Snake45 said:

Am now working feverishly to try to drag the '69 Camaro across the finish line

Really hoping you can get it done Snake...

On 9/21/2019 at 1:59 PM, Snake45 said:

DRIVE ON, EVERYONE! GITTER DONE! 

I'm declaring both of my "dead's" finished for this round... And these will be my final builds at the old house as we're preparing to move so I've gotta pack it all up and be out by next Friday! 

The 1969 Chevelle and 55 Ford Chopped Top Pick up. Both builds are done simple although neither were simple builds, if that makes since?

I had some trouble with the Chevelle originally because I had a 69-72 Chevelle junkyard that I got rid of 3 years ago and had pretty much all the parts to finish this one so I had to collect the parts to build it... 

Screenshot_20190922-141549.jpg

Screenshot_20190922-135516.jpg

Screenshot_20190922-141507.jpg

Screenshot_20190922-141433.jpg

Screenshot_20190922-135544.jpg

Screenshot_20190922-141303.jpg

Screenshot_20190922-145346.jpg

I had a clear coat malfunction with the Ford last week so I had to strip the hood and other body panels. it's alot simpler than my original design. I had aspirations to build a pull behind BBQ pit trailer for it and wooden bed racks and bumpers. but I abandoned all those ideas just to finish up for the deadline. I'll have to revisit those details as well as adding more decals later on. I will say that I have no desire to build this model again in the future.  I'll see y'all in the Next round... I hope...

On 6/12/2019 at 10:26 PM, dave branson said:

I am going to jump in with a Firebird Trans AM and try to finish for Memphis show in 2 weeks. I started this in 1991 used Fred Cady decals, my resin cast Honeycomb rims fuzzy fur on the interior.

001.JPG

003.JPG

063.JPG

004.JPG

066.JPG

065.JPG

Finally got the Firebird done in the process I also finished a AMT 2008 Dodge Challenger. Here are some pics. The Firebird II used Fred Cady decals and my own resin Honeycomb rims with SHABO marking, the Challenger was built box stock. I am in if we do this again. 

030.JPG

001 (3).JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG