Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

If you're referring to my Firebird

Yes sir... The colors work well together...

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Like an attic studio.

That's exactly what it is too... I'm excited to have such an open space to work and I hope it will help with organizing too. The last place was cramped but I made it work...

20180818_201313.jpg

20 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Yes sir... The colors work well together...

That's exactly what it is too... I'm excited to have such an open space to work and I hope it will help with organizing too. The last place was cramped but I made it work...

20180818_201313.jpg

Thank you again, Anthony! I'm used to having a small shop space. The room it's in, now is 9'X7', part of that is taken by a 2'X4'closet that juts out. I've learned to think vertically! I could use a little more space, but, I have room for all my power stuff (lathe, mill, paint booth, sander, Dremel drill press, soldering, etc.) and it's all easily usable  with a push of the desk chair! I'm very happy  with it, but, a little room to spread out a little would be nice! Anyway, I digress...The gold was a can of Testor's lacquer given to me by Don Fahrni,  when he saw it in the original color. He handed it to me and said, "Here. Cover that up!" ? The original color was, according to the can, a pale yellow. According to what came out of the can, it was coral, or something equally funky. I bought the red, specifically for this project. It's Duplicolor GM Dark Red, I think. I didn't have a clue as to what I wanted to do with it, but I knew that I wanted to use that color with the gold. Here's a photo of the original color. I'm not sure why I kept spraying!

IMG_0584cr.jpg

16 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Click -- Refresh!  Click -- Refresh!  Click -- Refresh!  

I have a project all ready to go.

In the meantime I'm restoring the Blue Beetle!   Play on..

Okay, go ahead and declare it and post a starting pic. As usual, if we get eight players, I'll join in to make it nine and then Round 5 will be on. I think three have so far declared intention to participate. Deadline date will be December 31.

Meanwhile, here's the final roundup of Round 4. We got 8 finished, which is pretty much in line with Rounds 1 through 3. 

ROUND 4: FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30 2019

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Dave Branson: '70 Trans Am FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: Camper trailer SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! '50 Ford Truck SEVENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

SamIAm: '56 Chevy

NAFAW9: HO scale Freightliner

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Disconovaman: '69 Chevelle THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! '55 Ford pickup FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Straightliner59: '93 Firebird OH SO CLOSE!

Snake45: '69 Camaro EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

70 Grande: '67 GTO

SuperbirdMcMonte: '58 Impala FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Here is my entry for the next round, a Shoebox project that dates back to 8 February 2017 using the most recent re-pop of the venerable AMT kit. I found the kit to have quite a bit of flash around the body mold lines which required a fair amount work to clean up. To massage the body I used the custom front and rear belly pan treatments, removed the chrome side trim and added a trim ring around the front fender wheel cutout with skirts on the back. Also added custom fairings for the side lake pipes. The hood required a further finessing to have it fit with added thin strips to the leading edge.

The basic interior tub was rebuilt by cutting away the side panels and flipping them side to side to provide a blank canvas upon which to build the custom pleated door panels. The rear seat received a similar treatment as did the rear parcel shelf. Buckets from a 64 Fairlane filled the front portion using the stock dash and steering wheel.

Underneath the chassis is featured in red with additional details picked out in a variety of metal finishes. The wheels are from the 40 Ford panel with the bladed Moons. The Y-Block Ford is from the 56 Vicky kit and is in the beginning stages of construction.

The body was primed in Tamiya grey followed by the Testor Inca Gold.  I particularly like the scale finish to the metalflake. 
So here she sits... waiting for completion to join the street ranks and cruise!
Cheers Misha

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

We are off to a great start with some super models!  Let's see them all done!

IMG 0944

Okay, I'll  offer up one Trabant 600 Universale Panel Wagon.  Last saw light of day in 2014. Geoff Brown got me back looking at it with the completion of his kit.  He had messaged me to inquire about it's status... that was enough to pull it off the stagnant model shelf!

IMG 1676

And it currently looks like this.  Primer gray,  about 3/4 done. 

deutsche post 1

And our goal is one little East German postal van.   

Edited by Tom Geiger

Okay, here the Officially Declared list as of now, and a couple others have expressed interest but not declared a project yet: 

Round 5: Deadline December 31, 2019

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Dave Branson: RMR Resin Van

Misha: ‘49 Ford

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: Ghost Rider Corvette

We just need one more! Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? 

Edited by Snake45

2 minutes ago, prostreeter69 said:

Hey Snake:

I will stay in with the Bronco if that is OK. Will post pics of where it is at later.

Jon

No problem, I'll add you. 

Remember gang, you can only extend ONCE. We're not interested in having projects on this list for YEARS, that's the problem with them now. If you don't GITTER DONE in six months, it's officially a dead project again and it has to sit out at least one round before it's eligible again. B)

8 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Ok I'm in. Mpc Ghost Rider corvette. Flares molded to body and needs paint. Stalled for more than 15 years. Will post photos later when I get a chance.

Very cool, will add you as soon as the pics appear. B)

On 10/2/2019 at 4:17 AM, Straightliner59 said:

The original color was, according to the can, a pale yellow. According to what came out of the can, it was coral

I kinda like that color but the gold was the answer. I had a can of silver blue met. that sat in a byler barn for 3 or 4 years, I went to spray it and it was an exact match to frost green. I totally loved it! Ended up spraying an AMT Nova and a Revell Convertible Camaro with it. It's funny what heat will do to the chemicals in the can.

So far there's some pretty intresting projects this round guys... can't wait for the progress!?

I taped the body off, last night before work, and shot more red, when I got home, this morning. The pattern is a bit more uniform, now. Next, I need to mix the blue One Shot for the stripes. I hope I can achieve the color I want, with what I have on hand. I don't really want to have to spring for a can of Process Blue, but... Once I touch the blue to the body, I am committed--then, it will have to be striped, completely. That might eat up the entire quarter!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

As a show of good faith (?), I have already painted almost half the stripes! I mixed One Shot Dark Blue and White, to create a mid-toned blue. I am surprised how easily it's gone on. Of course, that's what it's made for. The paint's a bit rough, but, I am sure i can fix it, by the time I am done! I was kind of going for a sort of controlled chaos, to reflect the edges of the torn tape, since those can no longer be seen. It looks more finished, with the outlines, I think. Questions comments and critiques are always welcome!

DSC_0001-2cr.jpg

DSC_0002-2cr.jpg

DSC_0006-2cr.jpg

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

As a show of good faith (?), I have already painted almost half the stripes! I mixed One Shot Dark Blue and White, to create a mid-toned blue. I am surprised how easily it's gone on. Of course, that's what it's made for. The paint's a bit rough, but, I am sure i can fix it, by the time I am done! I was kind of going for a sort of controlled chaos, to reflect the edges of the torn tape, since those can no longer be seen. It looks more finished, with the outlines, I think. Questions comments and critiques are always welcome!

DSC_0001-2cr.jpg

Fabulous! You might actually be the FIRST one this round to GITTER DONE! Drive on! B)