Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

"Oh boy! Tom has an update on his project" I thought seeing the thread at the top of the list! Yet, that is our biggest issue, diversions. I haven't touched my Inca Gold Shoebox, yet it is on the workbench next to the latest diversion, the 62 Plymouth Savoy 413 Max Wedge. I will get to it this weekend with an update.

Wishing all the others all the best, cheers Misha

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Yeah, the paint mishap kind of took the wind out of my sails. That said, the Firebird is still sitting petty much front and center on the workbench, just waiting for me to wet sand. I lost another chip of paint off the spoiler, and am waiting for a chance to get the hardware store to pick up a can of shellac. Don Fahrni ran into a problem like this one, and was able to brush shellac into the chipped-out area, sand that off level, then tape and respray the area. When he was done, you couldn't tell. Of course, he was Don Fahrni, and I am just...well...me!

If your hardware store carries a product called "KILZ", I recommend trying it!  It comes in gallons, quarts, and spray cans; just be sure to stir/shake thoroughly. It's meant to be a stain killer/primer, which it excels at, but if you need a good barrier coat, it can be thinned and airbrushed nicely. The good news is, if you want to use shellac, KILZ is white pigmented shellac!  It makes a quick-drying, easy to sand surface quickly. BUT...avoid water-based KILZ-II; not so impressive.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

If your hardware store carries a product called "KILZ", I recommend trying it!  It comes in gallons, quarts, and spray cans; just be sure to stir/shake thoroughly. It's meant to be a stain killer/primer, which it excels at, but if you need a good barrier coat, it can be thinned and airbrushed nicely. The good news is, if you want to use shellac, KILZ is white pigmented shellac!  It makes a quick-drying, easy to sand surface quickly. BUT...avoid water-based KILZ-II; not so impressive.

Thanks, Rusty! I was thinking Kilz was shellac-based. Thanks for the confirmation. I think that is exactly what I will get! Mr. Geary recommends it, as well.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:07 PM, Misha said:

"Oh boy! Tom has an update on his project" I thought seeing the thread at the top of the list! Yet, that is our biggest issue, diversions. I haven't touched my Inca Gold Shoebox, yet it is on the workbench next to the latest diversion, the 62 Plymouth Savoy 413 Max Wedge. I will get to it this weekend with an update.

Wishing all the others all the best, cheers Misha

Y'all shamed me into getting back into my Monogram '66 Chevelle. Last night I got almost half the body wet-sanded. That done, the polishing should be easy, and then on to building the chassis and engine. 

I have gotten mine wet sanded and ready to BMF. Then I'll do a light clearcoat and polish it out. I haven't touched mine for a while because I brought it and my 57 Ford home to do the BMF but haven't had the time in the evening after work to even look at them. Hopefully sometime this coming week I can get the BMF done in a couple of sessions.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

Tonight I'm making my own BMF for my projects. I should have enough foil....

Later-

IMG_20191108_182116237.jpg

IMG_20191108_182132894_HDR.jpg

I do that alla time. I find it's helpful to scratch up the back of the foil with a Scotchbrite pad--makes the MMFA flow out better and not bead up and leave dry spots. 

Just a couple quick "proof of life" shots of my Monogram '66 Chevelle project. The entire (flip) front end has now been wet-sanded, and the right side of the body, but not yet the right side, top, or trunk. Paint is Testor Root Beer with Wet Look Clear. 

66Chevelle100.jpg.3bc6f9e994bf411a913a647183be8556.jpg

66Chevelle102.jpg.dcfac1b062633d98554a9e4d026b98f3.jpg

On 11/11/2019 at 9:51 PM, Snake45 said:

"proof of life"

That's funny! I should be saying the same with all my stuff right now! I can't get around to doing anything to mine... They're locked in a room until I get some "ransom money" and by that I mean "free time" because time is money around here. I'm just too busy with the house and getting set up... Ugh! but that hasn't stopped me from buying atleast... Great color choice BTW...

I have not yet touched the Trabbie... as long as grokking it in the box and muttering to myself doesn't count.

But I have been working on a model. Somehow an old original Blue Beetle appeared and has jumped the line!

The 'beetle should be rolling off the assembly line within the next week.   Then I'll get to the Trabant.

If you're still taking entries I just got back to a project I started in January 2014. It's under Drag Racing Models here:

Here's where I left it off back then (I only posted once before running into some paint and motor issues that made me put it away:

DSCF2721-web.jpg
Chassis-Roll-Bar-2-and-Body-Web-B.jpg

And here's where I'm at today:

Chassis-Summary-Web.jpg
Body-Summary-1-web.jpg
Body-Summary-2-web.jpg

Like Dan Himmel did with his knockout Junior Fueler, I'll post updates here as well as in the original thread from six years ago (yikes!).

Edited by Bernard Kron

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That’s really interesting - what kind of foil is that?  

CabDriver-

It is a very thin foil that is used in commercial cooking. A buddy of mine works in a restaurant and they use it for wrapping potatoes to bake. He gave me the whole box probably 10 years ago and it has, what I would guess, is a thousand sheets, each divided by a thin sheet of paper.

Tonight I started my foiling. Drinking a scotch ale, listening to Lucero and fighting this foil job.

http://IMG_20191115_183619938.jpg 

Later-

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That’s really interesting - what kind of foil is that?  

I bought something similar--smaller sheets, smaller package--at Michael's not long ago, in the candy-wrapping section. But there's nothing particularly special about it. It seems to be identical to cheap, generic kitchen foil on a roll you can buy at any Walmart or supermarket. 

5 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Okay, so I made no progress on my 1/25 MPC '67 Pontiac GTO project a month+ ago, but I'm hoping it can be reinstated as a "Bring-out-your-dead" project for the December deadline; I'm really gonna work on it this time and get it all finished-up!

67_GTO_in-progress.jpg

You're welcome to jump back in, if you're sure you can finish by the end of the year. To avoid letting projects drag on forever, we now don't let a model run more than two consecutive rounds. I'll put you on the update list if you want. 

2 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

If you're still taking entries I just got back to a project I started in January 2014. It's under Drag Racing Models here:

Here's where I left it off back then (I only posted once before running into some paint and motor issues that made me put it away:

And here's where I'm at today:
Body-Summary-1-web.jpg

Like Dan Himmel did with his knockout Junior Fueler, I'll post updates here as well as in the original thread from six years ago (yikes!).

I've added you to the list for the next update. Think you can GITTER DONE in about six weeks? B)

10 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

CabDriver-

It is a very thin foil that is used in commercial cooking. A buddy of mine works in a restaurant and they use it for wrapping potatoes to bake. He gave me the whole box probably 10 years ago and it has, what I would guess, is a thousand sheets, each divided by a thin sheet of paper.

Tonight I started my foiling. Drinking a scotch ale, listening to Lucero and fighting this foil job.

http://IMG_20191115_183619938.jpg 

Later-

That’s really interesting!!  I’ve never even heard of such a thing - thanks for the info! How does it compare to BMF?  Does it work as well?

54 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That’s really interesting!!  I’ve never even heard of such a thing - thanks for the info! How does it compare to BMF?  Does it work as well?

It is extremely thin, like BMF and once the glue sets it works just the same. I really can't tell any difference.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

The motor is built and installed. As mentioned earlier, it’s a Revell Parts Pack Cadillac 354, built pretty much out of the Pak with the 6-carb option. A sheet metal “doghouse” flame protector for the carbs was fashioned from sheet aluminum and the exhausts extended using aluminum tubing. The fuel tank is from an AMT ’59 Ford kit with a gas cap added. The suspension is completed and installed. The front wishbones are split Model A items from the AMT kit and the rear traction arms are from a Revell ’32 Ford kit. The Pitman arm and steering link are scratch built from styrene stock. The rear slicks got switched out one last time, this time to the 2-piece pie crust items from the recent Round 2 ;36 Ford Coupe re-issue. They’re just the right diameter and width.

Below are pictures of the completed rolling chassis and a mockup with the body in place. I made a new “soft” tonneau cover to replace the original item. It’s fashioned from thin styrene sheet and masking tape. It has yet to be painted and I still have to work on fastening down the edges. Besides the tonneau cover, I have to work some more on the graphics and paint scheme, but I’m quite close to done now.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Chassis-Summary-2-Web.jpg
Body-Summary-3-web.jpg