Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

I announced my intention to complete my Inca Shoebox for this round of "Git 'er Done!", yet life often tends to interrupt plans that are made. Nonetheless, I still have time to at least move this project along and with the holidays fast approaching and a minor surgical date coming up, I'm hoping to spend time at the workbench. The main work is getting the running gear built, based upon the Y Block from the 56 Victoria. The interior is nearly complete and the body requires detailing.

Here is where I'm at, plan is to post daily advances...
Cheers Misha

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

Still here should have an update finally been real sick over the last 4 weeks pneumonia in the left lung 1 week in the hospital. 

I know I'm behind but I'll get some work on the T-Bird before this one's over and finish it in the next one. 

Being Sick Sucks

Still making progress polishing out my Chevelle body, and trying to adapt the Chevelle engine to the '64 GTO chassis, and then fit the whole mess into the Chevelle body, which is turning out to be MUCH more involved than I imagined. GRRRRRRR!

Update time: 

ROUND 5: FINISH DATE DECEMBER 31, 2019

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Dave Branson: RMR Resin Van FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Honda F-1

Misha: ‘49 Ford MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon MAKING PROGRESS!

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: Ghost Rider Corvette

Modlbldr: '64 Tbolt

Snake45: '66 Chevelle MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

TarheelRick: '69 SC/Rambler

Bernard Kron: '29 Ford roadster THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to old-school dragster. 

LL3 Model Worx: Joker Goon Car SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Edited by Snake45

OK! One last entry for 2019.  I started this one in April, 2013. The picture below is from June 1, 2013 and shows most of the basic parts I had going by then. The basic chassis is a Revell C1122 Dragster Frame Parts Pack. The front axle is from one of the Revellogram '29/30 ford "Rat Rod" kits. The rear whitewall slicks are from Modelhaus. The checker board decals were adapted from a Revell '32 Ford Roadster kit and the Caribbean blue body paint and mango chassis paint are by Krylon. Since then I stole the wheels for other projects. I started on it again in the past few days and I;m currently building up a small block Chevy from the Revell Slingster kit. It'll have a GMC 671 blower and 2-port Hilborn injectors. I'll also use the spoked Halibrand mag front wheels from the Slingster. Not surprisingly if you know the stuff I tend to do I'm going for some Old Skool funk with this one. It's a pretty simple build-up, and with the body and chassis largely painted out I've only really got the motor, steering and cockpit and final assembly ahead of me. I should have it done by year's end.

8jeN1L1.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

I'm out. I have just finally been back to the workbench, for a few hours, over the last couple of days. I fell on black ice (the real deal--that concrete looked perfectly dry!) the day before Thanksgiving, and haven't been able to use the shop, or the computer, without pain, since. Enough about that. I did get a couple of little things done on the Model A, yesterday and today, so, I'm on the rebound. The paint mishaps with the Firebird took it from about a day from finished to, "To  hell with it! It can sit a few more years!" ? Seriously, though, I'll throw back in, for the next round. It's sitting right in front of me, on the bench, so, one of these days, I will figure out a lazy way to deal with the paint, and finish it up, and call it good.

Edited by Straightliner59

We will see! I thought the end of year would be quiet. Then I got a contract on my New Jersey house, so I’ve been there fixing everything I can that was on the previous buyer’s home inspection. The new buyer’s inspection is Saturday. So we are staying with my daughter since Christmas Eve. 

Then I get a call about an amazing job opportunity. I did a phone interview on Christmas Eve, and a possible Skype meeting tomorrow.  Amazing how life just does it’s own thing!

We will be here through Saturday since we were invited to a party then. So if I wind up back home on Sunday and next week, I’ll see if I can get the Trabbie done!

Edited by Tom Geiger

This project is moving along nicely, although it has involved a great deal of scratch building. This is the nature of building out from a Parts Pak chassis, with nothing much coming from any one kit. But at least one bit of the scratch building was unexpected. I usually use pre-wired distributors and magnetos from Morgan Auto Detail (M.A.D.). They look good, come in a variety of distinct styles, and save a great deal of work. But I ran out. Going into the holiday season and with a personal deadline of end of 2019, any hope of ordering more and getting them in time was pretty much out of the question. So the simple Vertex style magneto you see in the pictures below was scratch built one desperate afternoon. The rear wheels were found in the depths of my parts box. They look like some sort of AMT piece but the source is lost in the mists of time. They were stripped of their chrome and, along with the Halibrand spokes at the front, finished in Testors Acrylic Jet Exhaust to simulate a Dow 7 coating. As mentioned in my last post, the small block Chevy is sourced from the Revell Slingster kit which supplied everything south of the blower casing including the blower manifold and the headers. The GMC 671 is from one of the countless Elephant Motor setups from the long wheelbase AMT Ivo/Too Much/Digger ‘Cuda/etc./etc. kits I have used over the years. The Hilborn 2-Port was cut out of the blower/injector piece from an AMT ‘40 Ford kit. The build is a bit further along than the photos show, with much of the interior completed, including the floor and most of the steering gear, as well as most of the front suspension bits. 12/31/2019 still looks like an attainable goal for completion.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Interim-Summary-1-web.jpg

More "proof of life" of the Chevelle. After untold hours of work, I finally got the Chevelle engine (with sidepipe headers) into the '64 GTO chassis, and got the GTO chassis and Chevelle interior to work together, and got the whole mess to fit under the Chevelle body. For the first time EVER (and I started this build in the '70s), it's sitting on four wheels (some of them borrowed for the moment).  By happy chance, the "sit" is just about exactly what I had in mind from the beginning. 

I have less than 48 hours to finish this by deadline. Well, come to think of it, as we did last year, we'll accept accept completions for this build right up to midnight on the 1st, since many people have New Years Day off and might need it to GITTER DONE. So I've got less than 72 hours. Should be do-able. Theoretically, all the hard work is done, just need to bring it all together. 

66Chevelle105.jpg.9fa8a96b4dccf2a6dbec1a9b650c5825.jpg

66Chevelle107.jpg.0f8dfb70cda4d6c1296b6f69e8be97f4.jpg

image.png.291672fa520b76f9b3fd12859e48c5b9.png

Today I got  the decals designed and printed.  The car is a bit from done, I haven't painted the body past primer yet.  I thought I had some time but my daughter called today and invited us to come for New Year's Eve and Day!   So I don't think I'm going to make it by the 1st!   Maybe in the next week, it's so near done!

image.png.9a4717bb15cdc4bc0b3a571090f11011.png

Just some quick snaps to show that I actually got ‘er done in 2019. More formal pictures and details tomorrow. The only major last minute change was a set of Curt Raitz’s fabulous Tru-Wire front wheels to lighten up the front end and balance with the white walls at the back.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF7582-web.jpg
DSCF7581-web.jpg
DSCF7578-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

7 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Just some quick snaps to show that I actually got ‘er done in 2019. More formal pictures and details tomorrow. The only major last minute change was a set of Curt Raitz’s fabulous Tru-Wire front wheels to lighten up the front end and balance with the white walls at the back.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

That is sweet, Bernard! Those front wheels are beautiful. I may have to spring for a set of those. Congratulations on finishing it up!

14 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF7582-web.jpg

Well done, Bernard! This means you've personally completed HALF of this round's builds!B)

I finally got the Chevelle's wheel/tire problems sorted out, and the last of the chassis bits glued on. The body's all polished and Silver Sharpied. Just have to build the interior, detail the grille, and nail it all together. What a nighmare that backbirth has been! 

Thanks Snake!

The BOYD concept is cool. I hope to take part again next year.

Below are the final “beauty shots”.

Some folks have commented on the “patina” of this thing. This kicked around in my stash since I started it back in early 2013. I actually got fairly far with it, including painting the body and applying its signature checkerboard scallops. But when it came to clear coating, with Krylon clear, I seem to have gotten a defective batch and the clear just didn’t seem to want to harden. Eventually I gave up on it and stuffed it into a plastic bag along with the Modelhaus T140 wide-whites slicks. Stupidly, I bagged it too early and eventually dirt and tire marks got embed in the paint. Last month I took it out one more time. Six years on, the clear had hardened up and stabilized. I tried to clean it up where I could but it only made things worse so I thought “Why fight it” and decided to finish it up, accepting the worn patina for what it was – a Survivor from another era. Hence the “patina”… and the name I have given this old prototypical early 60’s digger.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF7584-web.jpg
DSCF7585-web.jpg
DSCF7586-web.jpg
DSCF7594-web.jpg
Chassis-Views-Summary-web.jpg

54 minutes ago, dave branson said:

I would like to thank "Snake" for starting this tread  . I finished a whooping 10 started models this year and started 0 new projects. I hope you keep this going I am in on the next build with Porsche 959.

Congratulations on GITTIN ER DONE again, Dave, you have the FIFTH COMPLETION of this round. And according to my records, you've done six of them for the BOYD builds this year, so you must have sneaked another four in! Good for you! Thanks for the kind words, and DRIVE ON! B)

33 minutes ago, DPNM said:

To reiterate what others have said Snake, this is a cool thread idea that you got started.

I have a companion build to my Cannonball entry that I may try to finish in 2020. That would be a good thing.

We look forward to having you in the build, DPNM! If there's enough interest, we'll be starting Round Six after the first of the year, completion date will be the end of March. Got anything you can get finished in three months?