Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Got anything you can get finished in three months? 

I've signed up for the CBR and the BRBO so I'll be busy. Won't commit on my BOYD entry yet. I looked at that car recently and it doesn't look to need much. A bit of fabrication... and paint. I paint outside so that won't work right now.

I regret to say  '49 Ford won't be done tonight. I burned thru my 1st paint attempt polishing then had to repair a body seam that broke open while mounting it to the paint stand. It then sat as I worked on outdoor projects. (Then complication from cataract surgery left me with blurry vision over most the time period I had planned to finish.) 2nd coat of paint went on well, but again burned thru when polishing! I have the 3rd coat on & it may be ready to buff out tonight. 

Although it won't qualify for a 3rd round, I hope to have it done in the next 2 weeks.  It will not be returned to its cardboard coffin! Thanks to Snake & this thread for the motivation to get as much done as I have. If this thread continues I might have to pull out another coffin from the crypt.

Thanks for a great thread!  

Okay, time for the Round 5 Final Wrapup: 

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird WITHDRAWN WITH HONOR

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Dave Branson: RMR Resin Van FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Honda F-1 FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Misha: ‘49 Ford MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon MAKING PROGRESS!

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: Ghost Rider Corvette

Modlbldr: '64 Tbolt

Snake45: '66 Chevelle SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

TarheelRick: '69 SC/Rambler

Bernard Kron: '29 Ford roadster THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Revell Parts Pack dragster. FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE

LL3 Model Worx: Joker Goon Car SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Now, who's in for a Round Six? The following have shown interest: 

Dave Branson: Porsche 959

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon 

Bernard Kron: Interested but specific project not declared

Misha: You want to try to GITTER DONE on your ‘49 Ford? 

#1 Model Citizen: If you can get your '49 Ford Tudor done in the next few weeks--say by the end of January--we'll let it in. We just DON'T want stuff dragging out here forever! The whole idea is to GITTER DONE! B)

I did paint the Trabbie today!  Should be done this week if there are no interruptions.

When there were two weeks left in the year, I thought "no problem".  I was going to complete the Trabbie AND the Model A Blue Beetle on my bench.  

Then stuff happened.  Someone bought my NJ house.  I had little time to get ready for an engineer's inspection.  So we went and stayed with my daughter and I spent last week (every day but Christmas!) there taking care of details. At least the weather was good, and the engineer couldn't find any issues on Saturday!  

Then I got a call on my resume. I actually had a phone interview on Christmas eve,  a second one last Friday and again this coming Monday. Wish me luck.

We did return home Saturday night, but just to pick up fresh laundry and such. Then we went back to my daughter's on Tuesday for New  Years!  We got back yesterday afternoon and I didn't feel like doing anything with models.  I got back on my horse today.  

Here is an update on my Inca Shoebox build that ended up being stalled.  So yes please, sign me up for the next round! My intention was to build like mad during the holidays, yet I misjudged how much needs to be done and a late surgical date really threw the spanner into the works, so to speak.

Yet I have been at the bench puttering away. The body is getting closer with the application of  Molotow Chrome, somewhat nerve-racking being my first body trim attempt. Pleased with the quickness as opposed to BMF. Then the focus was on the Y-Block with paint and wiring. Drilled out the kit distributor to accept the plug wires, then wired the generator and starter to solenoid cable. Detail painted the pulley/belt assembly, the heater motor and began getting the water plumbed. Still need to install the interior carpet to complete the interior.

Hopefully it’ll zip along, as I’ve also joined in the Cannonball Run with the Hudson 4 door wheeled by De Niro in The Irishman!

Cheers Misha

E139F299-CDC7-4C98-966A-EF633C21E30F.jpeg

01D160C0-6B7D-4CC1-8C8A-4E33126736E0.jpeg

5014FF9E-7717-490D-8DCC-05B138615166.jpeg

Edited by Misha
Added photo

This one has been put in the shelf since 2016, and I can’t believe it’s been that long. After just finishing my Pennzoil Skyline build, I want to finish this one for an upcoming show. Hope I can get it done by the 18th. 

progress will be over in the pickups On the workbench page

B55212AC-759F-4AF6-955F-55396F0C09EF.jpeg

618661F0-F36D-4B83-AF51-6A3D90EDED14.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I think Round 5 was your first with this project, so extension into Round 6 is no problem. 

Great!  I had a busy year end. Someone bought my NJ house so I had a bit of work to do for inspections and such.  Which led to tearing up my left thumb, effectively putting me out of commission.   Also, it's coming out well and I didn't want to slam it together just for a deadline.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:07 PM, Snake45 said:

Now, who's in for a Round Six? The following have shown interest: 

Dave Branson: Porsche 959

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon 

Bernard Kron: Interested but specific project not declared

Misha: You want to try to GITTER DONE on your ‘49 Ford? 

#1 Model Citizen: If you can get your '49 Ford Tudor done in the next few weeks--say by the end of January--we'll let it in. We just DON'T want stuff dragging out here forever! The whole idea is to GITTER DONE! B)

Yes, Snake, I will take you up on round 6/Jan 31 finish for the Ford. I have been plodding along & think I am done with the body paint. Will work on BMF today/tonight. Had to replace my air compressor this week so now I can shoot Alclad on the bumpers, grille, etc.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:58 PM, lghtngyello03 said:

This one has been put in the shelf since 2016, and I can’t believe it’s been that long. After just finishing my Pennzoil Skyline build, I want to finish this one for an upcoming show. Hope I can get it done by the 18th. 

progress will be over in the pickups On the workbench page

B55212AC-759F-4AF6-955F-55396F0C09EF.jpeg

618661F0-F36D-4B83-AF51-6A3D90EDED14.jpeg

looks great

I did finish my current project, the Monogram Model A  Blue Beetle restoration of an old original.  I finished it this evening, and will take photos as I can this weekend!   So  onward with the Trabbie!

image.png.27168083c83cc10f6099781a7e5858a6.png

I did create the side decals this past week. Actually did them twice to get them to my liking.  Then (gasp!) I noticed the round on the back hatch! That's an 80 kph, speed limit designation for this slow poke vehicle... that's 50 mph to us Americans.  I can make decals, no worries, and do have white decal stock. My issue was how I was going to cut that perfect circle!  I went down to the basement and pulled out my ancient drafting tools. Yes, I have an old hard plastic clear circle template.  I had an idea... I cut reverse circles in Tamiya tape, that was taped to the glass on my work bench top. I did get one good enough to place on the body... and then masked off everything else, and sprayed the open center white.   And it worked!  So now I just need to make an "80" the appropriate size on clear decal stock and pop it into the center of the painted circle.   Yea me!