Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The stock Caravan was started over a year ago, right? Just post a start pic of where it is now and you're in. B)

I am farther along than I remembered. Although it may not look it, its been painted Chrysler Bright White. (Everything on the '98 I owned was white except the window trim, drip rails{?} & the rub strips on the roof.) Mostly painting the black trim around the windows & assembly is all that's left to do. I may attempt to scratch build a pair of fog lights. Perhaps not a real challenge for a round, but I seem to get so far along on a build & never finish. This thread give me the excuse to gett'r done. IMG_2035.thumb.JPG.36abef5eee7b1aa391369b9bf253b4b2.JPGIMG_2033.thumb.JPG.4516cfbff653442e609fc61962af7200.JPGIMG_2038.thumb.JPG.830dd14a368549245ee5f0f2cf148dd0.JPG

IMG_2036.JPGHere it is next to the pickup project

Edited by #1 model citizen

On 1/31/2020 at 8:38 PM, #1 model citizen said:

IMG_1984.thumb.JPG.b144c6260dc79f1dbf0ef1633f20e8c7.JPGIMG_1989.thumb.JPG.a146ee0b59a3aefecea1ca5d1b77cc77.JPGIMG_1987.thumb.JPG.1152dfbf8067b74c4d14ac955c01d6e2.JPGIMG_1988.thumb.JPG.dc261d5e24bd896a41d80eba869b8b48.JPGIMG_1985.thumb.JPG.d60310067f015351f457ccb35ebcd151.JPGIMG_1986.thumb.JPG.0c24b09cae7777f805d700658ac071e6.JPG Finally declared this one done @ 3 ;08 amIMG_1985.thumb.JPG.d60310067f015351f457ccb35ebcd151.JPG today! Not much of a model & why I I think these sow ears can be made into silk purses is beyond me! Anyway I got'er done!

looks pretty "silky" to me, since I know exactly what you had to work with.  I think I've finally spotted why this body looks so "disproportionate", the doors are too short for a two door sedan (and of course, the front of the car is too flat).

On 4/4/2020 at 9:19 AM, Snake45 said:

I have a very vague recollection that Pyro did a Beetle in 1/25-ish. Maybe? That's definitely not the IMC. 

definitely the Pyro "VW" sun roof sedan (I'm looking at the box as I typed this)

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Sounds to me like you qualify. Post a pic of where it is now and you're officially in. B)

I am going to have to dig it out this weekend. I recently moved and I thought it was one of the kits I unpacked when we got settled. I know where it is, just not sure which box.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, blunc said:

looks pretty "silky" to me, since I know exactly what you had to work with.  I think I've finally spotted why this body looks so "disproportionate", the doors are too short for a two door sedan (and of course, the front of the car is too flat).

Thanks Mike. I agree the front is much too flat (& bumper too wide). Its as if some one tried to make a 3 dimensional object appear 2 dimensional! Also, the "greenhouse" looks too long & the rear deck too short. If the greenhouse were shorter it would put the door in a little better perspective. Its for sure something is quirky with its proportions.

New page, time for an update: 

ROUND 7: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2020

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord (extension from Round 6)

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck (extension from Round 6)

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird (extension from Round 6) FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: Amish Buggy

Gwolf: '59 Ford Galaxie

#1 Model Citizen: Caravan

89AKurt: VW Microvan

Stinkybritches: Tamiya 1995 Cobra R

Snake45: Revell '69 Nova, maybe AMT AWB '66 Mustang

Bobthehobbyguy: Interest expressed but project not picked

Misha: Interest expressed but not officially declared, Tall T Coupe?

10 in so far, looks like we're off and running. Anyone else want in?  Let's GITTER DONE! B)

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird (extension from Round 6) FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Thanks, Snake! I think I have needed an extension, every time I've participated. But, I  am glad I have, because a couple of them may have just been stuck back in the closet, instead of in the display case! It's kept them near the front of the bench. I am just waiting on a sheet of Gofer decals, so I  can put some contingency stickers on it. They should be in the mail, today, and I am off, tonight, so, this will be in the display case, by morning.

DSC_0010cr.jpg

Here's the other one I'm hoping to maybe get done this round, AMT AWB '66 Mustang I started in either 2014 or a couple years earlier. So far all I've done is fill the roof vents (superglue gel on the left side, common body putty on the right side), remove the windshield wipers, and start filling the hole in the teardrop hood. Getting that hood right is a difficult task, and what sentenced this one to the Shelf of Doom. 

66MustangAWB002.jpg.e12d65bc69bbb7dad8815928cd65cfb5.jpg

66MustangAWB004.jpg.fb760f063e486a1a5c3e9c8a749e4864.jpg

On 4/8/2020 at 11:32 AM, disconovaman said:

You're right... I sold off some of my stalled projects last year to a friend ( Big feeling of seller's remorse) A fairly good builder, he's been slowly getting those kits built... One thing he can't seen to get right is the way the cars sit. I'm not gonna be critical because if I wanted them look the way I think is "right", then I should've just finished them myself...???Lol!

Here's an example...  I painted, detailed, built the engine, and interior but just lost interest. He claims there was no glass??? ? So he made his own from some protective tinted lenses from the eye doctor...?? 

Anyways, stance is important. ?

IMG_20200330_044939988_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200330_045052733.jpg

Screenshot_20200408-112744~2.png

I have a soft spot for the MPC Vette kits. I see that you incorporated a few of the newer Revell parts into it like the rocker trim and Motion Performance hood. I plan on doing the same (but use the L88 hood on an old MPC '69 resto project); and found that the Revell hood appears to fit nearly perfect if you sand the front (or back edge) down a smidge. But, I have not tried it yet due to time. If you sand the front of the hood to make it fit the MPC body it will also essentially make the front of the hood slightly wider taking up the minor hood gap that is otherwise present. But, I am not sure it the contour of the hood will match the MPC body where the front of the hood meets up. Do you recall if you sanded the front or the back of the Revell hood to make it fit the MPC body; and did you note an fitment issues?

23 minutes ago, krassandbernie said:

Do you recall if you sanded the front or the back of the Revell hood to make it fit the MPC body; and did you note an fitment issues?

I know it wasn't a direct fit and it didn't really completely fit after I made the adjustments... I think I sanded the fenders out just slightly to make it work... I love the mpc kit but for some reason I just gave up on this one... I'm gonna get a brand new one with the aluminum stacks and bare still rallys The coolest things about the newer re-release.

Cool screen name too BTW. I love Trosley!

This was inspired by the Duo... My son 15 built it he started reading K&B in my old Car Craft subscription...

11-05-27--8-73d8b796922b1ae1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I know it wasn't a direct fit and it didn't really completely fit after I made the adjustments... I think I sanded the fenders out just slightly to make it work... I love the mpc kit but for some reason I just gave up on this one... I'm gonna get a brand new one with the aluminum stacks and bare still rallys The coolest things about the newer re-release.

This was inspired by the Duo... My son 15 built it he started reading K&B in my old Car Craft subscription...

I've got the rallys, pm me and they are yours if you want em.

46 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

... the aluminum stacks and bare still rallys The coolest things about the newer re-release.

Ain't it truth! And the big/little tires. That stuff is the main reason I bought three or four of them. :lol:

6 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Did you snatch em up from Hobby Lobby when they were on clearance? I missed em, didn't get there in time and they were all gone...

Got one or two at Ollies for $10, and one or two at the local toy show for $10 or $15. Cheapest "parts mines" I've bought in years. :lol:

47 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Pretty cool! I am 99% sure that the Revell hood does not need the sides sanded. I know that if you were to sand the back side of the hood until it drops into the MPC body ('68-'72 bodies anyway) that the shape of the front of the hood is still a hair off; and there's slightly more hood gap on the sides than what one would prefer. If you sand the front of the hood (and not the back) it will basically allow the hood to sit a hair further forward closing up the hood gap with the body on the sides. But my main concern here still is that by shortening the front of the hood you are screwing with the surface contour; and possibly end up with the hood sitting higher than the body at the front due to the contour of the hood. I will likely end up practicing with a couple of Revell hoods to see which works out better (sanding the front, or sanding the rear.....and having to add a thin strip down the sides of the hood then).

btw, I cast the rally wheels from the MPC kits without the center caps. I also offer a deep dish rear version (that was mastered by a friend of mine)..........which to me, looks more like an 8" wheel.

Edited by krassandbernie

6 minutes ago, krassandbernie said:

btw, I cast the rally wheels from the MPC kits without the center caps.

Cool!  yeah those vette hoods are tricky to swap out and it seems they vary slightly from kit to kit... In the past I've cut down a steel wheel and used the rally center from the 69 chevelle and the lug pattern from the steel wheel also... that works really well...

• 2 weeks later...

How y'all BOYDers doin'?  After many tedious hours of bodywork and tweaking, I got my '66 Mustang AWB to where it was ready for the first coat of primer. Doesn't look horrible but I got a few little things left to fix. Next step is to search the Snakepit for a suitable paint I THINK I have something that will give me what I'm looking for...sure hope so because I think Hobby Lobby is still locked down. 

66MustangAWB034.jpg.0ebe947affeda9f624acfb4f8b24c8ff.jpg

66MustangAWB040.jpg.88fc20b1fc95b971aeb4de9e2111b388.jpg

Meanwhile, after tearing the Snakepit up, I gave up trying to find the missing seat for the Revell '69 Nova, which was holding that project up. It finally occurred to me that I have MANY copies of the AMT '72 Nova kit on hand, purchased just 'cause it's a "parts mine," so I dug a pair of seats out of one of those. The upholstery pattern doesn't quite exactly match the Revell '69's, but (channelling Memphis Street Outlaws JJ Da Boss) Guess what? I don't care! :lol:

Driving on. GITTEM DONE!  B)

69Nova001.jpg.979fafd6ba30c6ec99b94037606144bc.jpg

NIce work on the Mustang!

I haven’t touched mine. I’ve been preoccupied with my 50 Chevy pickup charity builds which I should able to finish tomorrow.

Then we will see. Fair warning, I may be changing horses. A combination of being distracted by new shiny objects and trying to build with supplies on hand!

My turn...the 1/12 AirFix 1930 Bentley Supercharged....I started this thing 3-4 years ago and stopped because nothing fit...the instructions sucked...it would show an arrow like put this here, but never designated left or right..up or down...nothing exact...3 steps later you realized it was supposed to go on the top not the bottom! After prying apart pieces and snapping parts off to realize the left was the right and the right was the left...this kit went back in the box...then to the back of the model car closet where the sun don't shine and paint overspray will never get to it! Fast forward to Coronavacation...and now that after a few models under my belt...I feel  like the man after this thread...yeah...like I'm eating a York Peppermint Patty..standing atop the NNL stage...with the wind blowing through my hair (I'm bald)...I'll give it another try!

IMG_7334.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

I'd like to jump in with this. I started it a while back and botched the paint and put it in the purple pond, which means the bodywork melted away. Threw it in a box where its sat.

I started on it this week and while going through posts I thought it'd be fun to join in.

Its a Little Red Truck conversion to 4WD and styleside bed. The bed was rough with ill-fitting taillights so that's really the focus now.

I had previously destroyed the front grille and fabricated a new one that I'm now molding in.

I think I'll be going to a satin paint this time for the body. I'll leave the chassis as is. Hopefully it won't look goofy.

Thanks.

LRT Conversion Restart.jpg

LRT Conversion Chassis.jpg