Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

19 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I too got this kit in or around 1988 and I'm also 47... Like you I didn't pick it but I did think it was cool.  I wasn't that interested in the subject.  (other than seeing the retractable top work)...so my cousin suggested he could get the car together (I must've really wanted to see the top work) lol so I let him take it home with him to build it and I never seen it again lol... Fast forward about five years later at a car show I seen a real one working and I always wanted to get another one.  It is a cool model and you really did it proud... It's making me really want one now ?

Thanks Anthony! dang cousins, man! I would love to see an actual 1:1 version, but haven't so far. Did you get to see it operate?

Edited by gwolf
edit

Good to see the progress and completions on here.

I'm in for the next round.

Not 100% sure which one it will be yet, but I have several contenders. I'll have a look tonight, just need to see which is most achievable.

I have a bit of holiday later this month when we should have been going away, so hopefully I can use that time to push on with another project alongside what I already have on the go.

1 hour ago, gwolf said:

Did you get to see it operate?

Yes, I sure did... 50's engineering and design is really cool to see, it reminds me of better days.

Last year I traded a Mig welder to my cousin for his model collection that had been in his attic since around 95. I was hoping that kit would be in there (it wasn't) but there were alot of treasures I'm happy to have. Some of which are some of my stallled projects that I gave to him in the early days. 

09-31-45--4-345d7dc5de628302.jpeg

Okay, here's the wrapup of Round 7: 

ROUND 7: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2020 10 Completions!

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord (extension from Round 6) SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck (extension from Round 6)

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird (extension from Round 6) FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: Jeepster MAKING PROGRESS!

Gwolf: '59 Ford Galaxie EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

#1 Model Citizen: Caravan TENTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

89AKurt: VW Microvan THIRD COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Stinkybritches: Tamiya 1995 Cobra R SEVENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Snake45: AMT AWB '66 Mustang NINTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Demerovingian: 1930 Bentley

MeatMan: Dodge Little Red Truck FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Superbird McMonte: '69 B/M Camaro SECOND COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '62 Corvette FOURTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Bobthehobbyguy: Interest expressed but project not picked

Misha: Interest expressed but not officially declared, Tall T Coupe?

#1 Model Citizen's Caravan gave us 10 completions this round, a record! Our previous high was 9 completions in Round 1. 

So who wants to do it again? Round 8 now forming....B)

I'm in... I really wanna finish some of this stuff up for sure. I have a 65 mustang convertable I have to finish for a Breast Cancer awareness challenge it's only been stalled for 5 years...?  it seems like the easiest fix to start with.

So I'll start with this Mustang and hopefully be adding some other stalled kits as we go.

20200701_115044.jpg

Yes please, I'd like to have a go at round 8. Hopefully this will qualify?

IMG_2253.JPG.29abd87189b23b74c7b7349390148c94.JPG

I bought it around 30 years ago, remembering it getting a good review when launched. My housemate started it around 1991 but it never got finished. Bodyshell was brush-painted with red Humbrol enamel, but I stripped that some years ago (more than a year, that's for sure!). Is this enough to see me qualify?

Along the way the engine appears to have gone elsewhere (I think that's what I used in the Maserati 3500 GT long-term WIP, which I recently restarted), likewise the wheels and tyres - I think they ended up on a 1970 Buick. Current plans are a donor engine from either a Monogram 1992 Corvette ZR-1 or 1970 Chevelle, or maybe something from the parts box if I can work which ones are Chevrolet. I found some rather nice Cragar SS wheels in a Japanese Aoshima kit - they're wide, but with a little work should fit.

The gearbox crossmember had disappeared as well, but miraculously I found most of it in my odds and ends cabinet and the missing portion looks easy enough to make from scratch.

Since I'm considering the Model A coupe a long-term project. I have a couple of possibilities, and I may declare. Option one is an old Monogram Midget that I started converting to a "big car" almost 20 years ago. The other is a project I just dug out an started messing with, again, is a Peterbilt 352 cabover that I cut to make a day cab on a 120" WB chassis I started on too long ago to remember. I will have some time, tomorrow, to assess which is the better candidate. Meantime, here are some photos of the possibilities...

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

IMG_3301cr.jpg

IMG_3302cr.jpg

IMG_3304cr.jpg

IMG_3314cr.jpg

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Since I'm considering the Model A coupe a long-term project. I have a couple of possibilities, and I may declare. Option one is an old Monogram Midget that I started converting to a "big car" almost 20 years ago. The other is a project I just dug out an started messing with, again, is a Peterbilt 352 cabover that I cut to make a day cab on a 120" WB chassis I started on too long ago to remember. I will have some time, tomorrow, to assess which is the better candidate. Meantime, here are some photos of the possibilities...

IMG_3301cr.jpg

IMG_3302cr.jpg

I really like color combination!

So that's four in so far. Spottedlaurel, your '65 Corvette looks like a fine project. I have one of these almost ready for paint and need to drag it out for one of these sooner or later. 

BTW, I just took a count and it looks like the BOYD builds have resulted in 54 models completed that probably wouldn't have been without this project. That makes me VERY happy! Let's keep it going, gang--GITTER DONE! 

Count me in for this round Snake! I had too many tasks to join in last time, so now I’m ready to tackle my long overlooked Tall T Coupe. I’ll get some current photos up later today...

Congrats to all the completions that have been achieved, cheers Misha

A5603D01-36BA-4B70-895C-09D649E720B8.jpeg.7107fd20386846ca738fb8c98e081b0b.jpeg

First progress shot for the new round!

Finally got a decent coat of paint on the body.  Hood still needs a few coats to brighten it up. Completed four cylinder engine sitting in foreground, wired. 

Couldn’t find the transfer case so I grabbed a fresh one from a kit and assembled the three parts.  Otherwise the chassis could have been assembled. Will have to fit / fabricate the exhaust and drive shafts since the engine is foreign to to chassis 

On 7/2/2020 at 2:52 AM, Snake45 said:

So that's four in so far. Spottedlaurel, your '65 Corvette looks like a fine project. I have one of these almost ready for paint and need to drag it out for one of these sooner or later.

Cool, sign me up then!

I'll start a separate WIP thread for it, but will give the odd report on progress here. Made a bit of a start the other evening....

I've got more stalled builds than I know what to do with, some of them dating back to the 80's, so I'll be joining in this round with a Revell '99 Mustang SVT Cobra that I started back in May 2014.

50076756172_c62842083c_c.jpgDSCF1480 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I got as far as painting the body and basic engine assembly. It might not be the correct shade of green for a '99 Mustang but I like it and it's still one of the best paint jobs I've done.

50076755327_ed3dba7532_c.jpgDSCF1481 by timothy jones, on Flickr

On 7/1/2020 at 9:52 PM, Snake45 said:

BTW, I just took a count and it looks like the BOYD builds have resulted in 54 models completed that probably wouldn't have been without this project. That makes me VERY happy! Let's keep it going, gang--GITTER DONE! 

Count me in though I have to narrow down the dead.

You are absolutely right about never getting done without this project.  The Cord languished on and off for nearly 40 years but thanks to your push it got done. 

I appreciate you shepherding us through. 

OK Snake, I am in with this one as it's the only WIP that has already been foiled.

Revell 66 IMG_0441.thumb.JPG.f9bdf71cf646d5aa95b9d20501e155a5.JPGImpala OOB painted with Tamiya Light Blue Pearl.The body just needs the decals and a clear coat and the interior needs to be finished.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:29 PM, TimJ said:

I've got more stalled builds than I know what to do with, some of them dating back to the 80's, so I'll be joining in this round with a Revell '99 Mustang SVT Cobra that I started back in May 2014.

DSCF1480 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I got as far as painting the body and basic engine assembly. It might not be the correct shade of green for a '99 Mustang but I like it and it's still one of the best paint jobs I've done.

50076755327_ed3dba7532_c.jpgDSCF1481 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Tim, you're in! What's the paint on that Mustang? I've been looking for that exact color for a '69! 

Misha and Oldscool, I've got you down too. Unless I've missed someone, that makes 7. We need one more. 

9 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Count me in though I have to narrow down the dead.

You are absolutely right about never getting done without this project.  The Cord languished on and off for nearly 40 years but thanks to your push it got done. 

I appreciate you shepherding us through. 

I appreciate you participating-all of you. Y'all give me motivation to GITTER DONE too, and I now have 8 or 9 finished that wouldn't be without you!

Here's who's on so far: 

ROUND 8 : FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30, 2020

Tom Geiger: Jeepster

Disconovaman: '65 Mustang convertible

Spottedlaurel: '65 Corvette

Straightliner59: Peterbilt truck

Misha: Tall T coupe

TimJ: '99 Mustang Cobra

Oldscool: '66 Impala

Add my Mystic Chome Cobra to the list of models started and not finished due to Modelers Attention Deficit Disorder.  I built the burgundy one a long time ago (probably Testors spray) and the convertible is the Testors Color shift paint.  You guys know I am a diehard Mustang guy but there’s something about the older Mustangs that just seem to be more interesting with regard to the interiors colors and chassis from a model building perspective.  Anyway, I hope to finish something I already painted months or year ago as the backlog is probably twenty at the moment of various year Mustangs.  Assuming I go with plain old Ford grey interior for this convertible maybe the end of summer is not a stretch.

144998CB-8F99-44C1-A0DA-EFAC03116971.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

This one has been sitting for about 7 years. It’s a replica of my friend’s car.... that he has since sold.?‍♂️? I molded in the nose and painted it B5 Blue. I need to add the A pillar wind deflector on the driver’s side. The hood has been glued in place, so no engine. This is the Jo-han kit. Time to “Gitter done” 

99A4AFAC-1F86-4AF6-BC89-B9591220DBDF.jpeg

16E68C00-A119-4308-845B-664E91F9186A.jpeg

81869580-D84F-4FC2-9863-45A4165B5500.jpeg