Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

This must be the season for the Mustang to drag across the BOYD finish line lol! I see I'm not alone...

I rebuilt the engine and  I'm working on the interior while looking for a box of slot car leftovers to complete this ole girl... It was originally built by me in 97 (yellow with tan flocking interior)... Several missing parts will have to be found and that may be a challenge on its own...? never fails I always come up short due to the non organized state of my junk or my brain one or the other...???

20200714_104610~2.jpg

37 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Several missing parts will have to be found and that may be a challenge on its own...

What do you need? There's a slight chance I might have it. That's the Monogram 1/24, right? I've got a project in mind that's going to require sacrificing one or another of the several Shelby kits I have on hand, so I MIGHT be able to help you out. No promises. B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

What do you need?

Thanks. To start with I'm missing the front windsheild and the front suspension. I've got a box of Shelby leftovers somewhere. I think the glass is in there and a complete chassis too...

I have the stuff but stopping to find it is more distacting than the wife telling me to " Come here for a minute" while I'm applying the final coat of clear! ? I'll look for the stuff and let you know if I can find it...

When I was younger I would write messages on the inside of my models. Like the date or whatever I was feeling at the time... I wrote the letters "Hi WHOEVE R" and "DONT DESTR 1/12/ 97". I guess when I got rid of it the first time I didn't plan on it ever finding its way back to me... ?

This Mustang's History...

I got the kit from Wal-Mart around 95 ish... 

Painted it red with white stripes on the hood and trunk (black inside and top). Displayed the car in my bedroom... got bored with it in 96 and desided to paint it yellow.  

Half way through the build my buddy comes over, sees it, flips out over it, so I gave it to him after it was finished. 

Fast forward...2003 I'm at a yardsale in my area and I see the familiar Mustang pace car box art and I think "I've built that kit before" unbeknownst to me that I actually built this exact one, til I popped the lid off and seen it! My old friend had left the state, moved away...and his mom was left with the model to sell at her yard sale...So for a mere 2 bucks it was once agian mine. ? 

20200714_122700~2.jpg

20200714_122710~2.jpg

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

When I was younger I would write messages on the inside of my models. Like the date or whatever I was feeling at the time... I wrote the letters "Hi WHOEVE R" and "DONT DESTR 1/12/ 97". I guess when I got rid of it the first time I didn't plan on it ever finding its way back to me... ?

This Mustang's History...

I got the kit from Wal-Mart around 95 ish... 

Painted it red with white stripes on the hood and trunk (black inside and top). Displayed the car in my bedroom... got bored with it in 96 and desided to paint it yellow.  

Half way through the build my buddy comes over, sees it, flips out over it, so I gave it to him after it was finished. 

Fast forward...2003 I'm at a yardsale in my area and I see the familiar Mustang pace car box art and I think "I've built that kit before" unbeknownst to me that I actually built this exact one, til I popped the lid off and seen it! My old friend had left the state, moved away...and his mom was left with the model to sell at her yard sale...So for a mere 2 bucks it was once agian mine. ? 

20200714_122700~2.jpg

20200714_122710~2.jpg

That's really awesome! 

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You started it last December? 

No, it was before that. December was when I was taking another swing at it, found out the spindles were missing then it ground to a halt and I got distracted by my Freightliners and now my diorama. If you don't think it qualifies, that's OK.

49 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

No, it was before that. December was when I was taking another swing at it, found out the spindles were missing then it ground to a halt and I got distracted by my Freightliners and now my diorama. If you don't think it qualifies, that's OK.

Well generally the rule is that you have to have started on it more than a year ago (the longer, the better) but haven't worked on it steadily and/or for several months (the more the better). If it's been on your "Shelf of Doom" for a few months, we'll let it in. B)

5 hours ago, gwolf said:

That's really awesome! 

Thanks! the plan was to get it back in shape as the original build (Red and white) but then the Breast Cancer challange came up and I needed a project for that, I decided it was the right car for the challenge but that was 5 years ago...?

I'm looking forward to seeing that Elcamino get finished!

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Well generally the rule is that you have to have started on it more than a year ago (the longer, the better) but haven't worked on it steadily and/or for several months (the more the better). If it's been on your "Shelf of Doom" for a few months, we'll let it in. B)

I see. While I have a few of those. They are not back in the queue yet. So... I guess I am out. I'll just encourage everyone else.

Update: 

ROUND 8 : FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30, 2020

Tom Geiger: Jeepster

Disconovaman: '65 Mustang convertible

Spottedlaurel: '65 Corvette

Straightliner59: Peterbilt truck

Misha: Tall T coupe

TimJ: '99 Mustang Cobra

Oldscool: '66 Impala FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

vamach1: Mystic Chrome Cobra

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Superbird

Snake45: '66 Mustang

Eric Macleod: Packard Speedster Victoria

Dave Branson: 2008 Challenger

No time for pic's in my WIP thread at present, but the '65 Corvette is progressing nicely and seems to be taking priority over my other builds. Spent quite a bit of time working out how to fit the LT5 and exhaust manifolds without destroying too much else, and the body has just received its first couple of coats of colour.

I've been working on Jeepster chassis, fitting the 4 cylinder into the V6 chassis. I did have to move the transmission mount location and redo the motor mounts. 

86F7D195-3360-4FD3-88C3-3664D4C78EB8.thumb.jpeg.27658cea9468301e24c27e08b721142b.jpeg

Someone on a board, I cannot remember what board, was asking how to mount an engine securely. He was focusing on building motor mounts on a kit that didn’t have any. So I’ll post my method here..

See above Photo.. notice the pin sticking up from transmission mount, and the corresponding hole in bottom of transmission.  I pin most of my engines in place this way, they glue rock solid and will never move. I like to use straight pins.

I also have motor mounts on this one, but they don’t have to carry any load. 

8F35A8F3-98F0-4CFC-A970-3B1D65574183.thumb.jpeg.112f01a37b193bc98f124973f472627c.jpeg

And here’s how engine and transmission sit in place. Not even glued yet, just sitting as I was fabricating the exhaust to chassis. Notice how exhaust curls around the motor mount and the pin I’ve inserted in it to accept the pipe. 

I’m trying to get both Jeepsters chassis complete and up on wheels this week. 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Someone on a board, I cannot remember what board, was asking how to mount an engine securely. He was focusing on building motor mounts on a kit that didn’t have any. So I’ll post my method here..................

Hmmm, that's given me some inspiration as to how to mount the LT5 in my Corvette.

2 hours ago, Pete L. said:

Don,

Nice work on the Challenger, I especially like the chassis treatment. Could you give us a little insight as to your method of painting ?  Thank you.

chassis was painted with Tamiya White Primer, and then a coat of semi gloss black, and then I used a newer product from Tamiya it in the powder series called weathering for car chassis. All painting was done with Tamiya with the exception of the clear coat on the body.

100_2969.JPG

100_2966.JPG

100_2965.JPG

On 7/15/2020 at 5:41 PM, dave branson said:

Well  I got the dash done and part of the interior should finish tomorrow

100_2908.JPG

Finiched the Interior tonite and applied the 3rd coat of Tamiya Bright Orange, hopeful will clear coat tomorrow and finish over the weekend.

100_2947.JPG

100_2948.JPG

I would like to enter this one next if I can. AMT 69 GTX. With Duplicolor Touch up paint Nissan Orange Mist. I used Quick Shine as a clear coat. Started it in 2013 and worked on it off and on since. Hasn't been touched in at least two years. It stalled at the foiling stage as a lot of my projects do.

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463 (2).JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

Edited by oldscool

22 hours ago, dave branson said:

chassis was painted with Tamiya White Primer, and then a coat of semi gloss black, and then I used a newer product from Tamiya it in the powder series called weathering for car chassis. All painting was done with Tamiya with the exception of the clear coat on the body.

100_2969.JPG

100_2966.JPG

100_2965.JPG

Don,

Thank you very much for the info...very nice work !!!

Well, I got the foiling done and it was a real PITA. Like picking fly specks out of pepper ?.Worst foiling job I have ever done due to the faintly engraved window trim and the paint wanting to chip off around the edges. I used a primer sealer when I painted it because I knew the Duplicolor auto touch up paint would etch the plastic. Don't know why it chips so easily.

Anyway, here are the not so great results. This is about four hours worth of work.

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

A few steps backward for me! I thought I had it all figured out but guess not!

In fitting the four cylinder into the V6 chassis, and once the transfer case was added into the mix, the tranny and transfer case are hitting the interior floor! So I have sanded down top of tranny and just redid the trans mount lower. And here I thought I was merely assembling the chassis and would’ve had it up on wheels last night! Argh!