Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

New page, time for an Update: 

ROUND 8 : FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30, 2020

Tom Geiger: Jeepster

Disconovaman: '65 Mustang convertible MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Spottedlaurel: '65 Corvette THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Straightliner59: Midget/Indy car MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Misha: Tall T coupe

TimJ: '99 Mustang Cobra EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '37 Ford

Oldscool: '66 Impala FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '69 GTX SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

vamach1: Mystic Chrome Cobra

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Superbird

Snake45: '66 Mustang

Eric Macleod: Packard Speedster Victoria

Dave Branson: 2008 Challenger FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to 2007 Camaro

Deuces II: '68 Dodge Dart

Cheyenne93: Chevy Suburban and trailer FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '69 Chevelle SEVENTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Monte Carlo

Dragcarz: Mustang Funny Car SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Now I'm making a mid-stream switch. My completion project will still be a '66 Mustang, but not the green hardtop I posted earlier. Instead, I'm gonna resto/rescue my old old original annual fastback, one of my very oldest survivors, and finish the rework I started over a decade ago and then lost interest in for some reason (probably because I wasn't that much into the "survivor" mystique at that time and was disappointed in how it was gonna turn out). Here's what I'm starting with. Since the pic was made, I've washed and polished the body and hood, and have started making the roof windows. Still need to come up with a rear bumper and pan, and either find the original front wheels/tires or decide on new ones. 

66MustangFBFS01.jpg

Man, the Monte Carlo is looking nice and I like the Fortunate Son Mustang too.

I'm declaring the 64 Mustang done...  atleast it's in the case. I still have to locate the door handles, mirrors, and other small parts that are in a sandwich baggy somewheres around here. ?

Why is it, that everytime I finish a kit I want to build another copy of the same kit?... Am I crazy for thinking like that? Probably... but I think I have another one in my stash. I'll have to go diggin for it... Later, fellers...

20200910_161301.jpg

20200910_155122_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Why is it, that everytime I finish a kit I want to build another copy of the same kit?... Am I crazy for thinking like that? Probably... but I think I have another one in my stash. I'll have to go diggin for it... Later, fellers...

No, I do that to the point that I’m building two at same time! It seems once you are into the kit you get a few good ideas!

Mustang looks good!

On 11/2/2018 at 10:42 PM, Snake45 said:

There are so many great projects underway in the "Bring Out Your Dead" thread, quite a few of which wouldn't take a whole lot to get across the finish line. I have a couple in that category myself (and earlier this year, I actually finished up three that would have qualified for the Dead thread). Anyone want to join me in committing to dragging one or more of these projects off the Shelf of Doom and actually finishing it by the end of the year? It could be fun! B)

Richard.....great idea!  The 56 pages of responses suggested you really hit the nail on the head with this one.  Here's mine....

This one began as a "how-to" project showing how easy it was to redesign and restyle a 1932 Ford street rod body in 1/24th scale styrene, vs. doing the same thing in 1/1 scale metal or fiberglass.

My recollection is that this one has appeared twice in print - a long-ago,detailed step-by-step on the body mods, and then a very brief appearance many years later in an article on an unrelated subject. Anybody wanna guess when and where these appeared??? 

And anyone wanna try to take a stab at listing some of the body mods (some of which admittedly can't be seen in this image, and others which are very subtle unless you have an original body nearby to compare to)? 

I've spent the last several weeks working on taking it from its most recent state as a painted body and a bunch of parts in a box that presumably could be used to complete the model, to the state pictured below where the model is now reading for final assembly, only three plus decades after first carving some styrene.

Thanks for looking! TIM

DSC 0999

On 9/4/2020 at 3:41 PM, cheyenne93 said:

Well the monte is now two tone. Get is sanded and cleared in a couple of days. turned out better than I was expecting.

20200904_162724.jpg

20200904_162912.jpg

20200904_162730.jpg

20200904_162811.jpg

Great looking two tone. I remember when the Monte Carlo could be ordered with this and the same treatment in Blue, Green, and Silver two tones. Really makes the car standout in the crowed.  

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Richard.....great idea!  The 56 pages of responses suggested you really hit the nail on the head with this one.  Here's mine....

This one began as a "how-to" project showing how easy it was to redesign and restyle a 1932 Ford street rod body in 1/24th scale styrene, vs. doing the same thing in 1/1 scale metal or fiberglass.

My recollection is that this one has appeared twice in print - a long-ago,detailed step-by-step on the body mods, and then a very brief appearance many years later in an article on an unrelated subject. Anybody wanna guess when and where these appeared??? 

And anyone wanna try to take a stab at listing some of the body mods (some of which admittedly can't be seen in this image, and others which are very subtle unless you have an original body nearby to compare to)? 

I've spent the last several weeks working on taking it from its most recent state as a painted body and a bunch of parts in a box that presumably could be used to complete the model, to the state pictured below where the model is now reading for final assembly, only three plus decades after first carving some styrene.

Thanks for looking! TIM

Tim, great to have you aboard! Where you been for (nearly) two years? :lol:

You do realize that this round ends at the end of this month, right--a little over two weeks? If you want in, I'd be happy and proud to add you to the next update. In fact, we allow one extension, so you can join now and carry on into the next round if need be. Now GITTER DONE! 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Tim, great to have you aboard! Where you been for (nearly) two years? :lol:

You do realize that this round ends at the end of this month, right--a little over two weeks? If you want in, I'd be happy and proud to add you to the next update. In fact, we allow one extension, so you can join now and carry on into the next round if need be. Now GITTER DONE! 

Richard....if all goes to plan, should be done by a week from now.....thx....TB

5 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking two tone. I remember when the Monte Carlo could be ordered with this and the same treatment in Blue, Green, and Silver two tones. Really makes the car standout in the crowed.  

The tan and gold I never saw until I bought mine. Then about a year later another one showed up in town. We had same wheels, only difference was the hoods, as mine was originally a turbo so had a scoop and his did not. For along time couln't figure out why so many people waving as we passed, till one day we both pulled into the same car wash. I think we both had to do a double take. ?

2 minutes ago, cheyenne93 said:

The tan and gold I never saw until I bought mine. Then about a year later another one showed up in town. We had same wheels, only difference was the hoods, as mine was originally a turbo so had a scoop and his did not. For along time couln't figure out why so many people waving as we passed, till one day we both pulled into the same car wash. I think we both had to do a double take. ?

I had a very similar experience years ago with my first El Camino. My wife had one of her girlfriends calling her to say that I was cruising around town with a pretty Blond and my wife had dark hair. One day driving thru our neighborhood we spot an El Camino that was a twin to mine and he had the Blond and he also had same Mustache as I did. We were nearly in divorce court by this time so it was my lucky day.    

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I can attest to this fact!

IIRC we even cut you a little extra slack because you had an injury that precluded modeling for a few weeks. B) But as a general rule, if you can't get a model finished in 6 months, get it out of here;  we're here to encourage you to GITTER DONE, not drag on forever. You can FAIL to ever get it finished all on your own without our help at all! B):lol:

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

IIRC we even cut you a little extra slack because you had an injury that precluded modeling for a few weeks. B) But as a general rule, if you can't get a model finished in 6 months, get it out of here;  we're here to encourage you to GITTER DONE, not drag on forever. You can FAIL to ever get it finished all on your own without our help at all! B):lol:

Very true! In spite of delays, I have finished at least three (I think), that may have continued to languish, had I not put them here. It's certainly given me extra motivation to get them done. So, it's all good. I think this thread has been inspirational for many of us! Thank you, for it!

Edited by Straightliner59