Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

After getting the new spray booth operational yesterday, I actually got some work done on the Jeepster.

I have swapped in a four cylinder, the base engine for this truck, in place of the kit’s V6. In the end it was more trouble than anticipated. I had modified the chassis by moving the transmission mount earlier, and today’s task was modifying two driveshafts to match up with the four, as well as the exhaust. I was happily surprised that the exhaust matched up pretty well.  So now all of that and the engine / transmission are glued in place. 

At this point it’s ready for wheels to mount and radiator to be placed. I will have to make the hoses. Still a long way to go!

Nice to see the Monte Carlo finished, it looks great!

As there are only a couple of days left of this round I thought I'd better pull my finger out and get the '37 Ford done. The build originally stalled when I had trouble getting the side windows to fit properly so I got some clear plastic packaging and made replacement windows for the rear. Even with the thinner plastic they still needed clamping to help them conform to the shape of the body.

50398965342_229fe72d0c_c.jpgDSCF1700 by timothy jones, on Flickr

As I started this seven years ago I thought I'd freshen up the interior too. First was to get rid of the poorly applied flocking.

50316966043_2f16b6055d_c.jpgDSCF1636 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Once that was gone the floor was painted violet along with the lower door panels and rear parcel shelf. The rest of the side panels and seats were given a fresh coat of grey.

50398805491_b4298d70cf_c.jpgDSCF1699 by timothy jones, on Flickr

50398802996_dbf052b574_c.jpgDSCF1698 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Once the paint had dried it was time to join it all together and do a bit of fettling to get the hood to sit right.

50398808721_8f96e68971_c.jpgDSCF1701 by timothy jones, on Flickr

There are only a few small parts left to add so it should be done by tomorrow night.

13 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Looking good! I did like the blue wheels, tho

Thank you, Jim!  I liked that teal color a lot, too. If one of the tires hadn't eaten a wheel, I would have kept them. As it was, I didn't even know what the color was, other than that it was Krylon. I like the magnesium, too, though.

23 minutes ago, TimJ said:

After seven years the '37 Ford is done. ...............

I've already got a few options lined up for the next round.

Nice work Tim! Looks really good, and you did far better than me on that front end panel fitment.

I've got my next entry sorted.

Good luck to those of you still making the most of your last few hours to get them across the line.