Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

As promised, Proof of Completion. I see I forgot to hit the door handles with my beloved Silver Sharpie before pics, not the first time I've made that mistake. DOH! :angry:

I don't often use foil on a model but I did on this one--on the cove trim, the front fender spears, and the front, rear, and cove Corvette emblems. Windshield frame and some other trim is my also beloved Deco Color Premium Silver Leaf marker, which is 90-95% as good as Molotow but much cheaper, more durable, and easier to work with. 

59Corvette15.jpg.774b0a1027aa1c37f34d2a98ceb1d7f7.jpg

59Corvette18.jpg.a20daf8ab29e1d078ab76609e947a6b6.jpg

59Corvette21.jpg.62daaac8729c5c9673bb2950c15bed1a.jpg

After I built the AMT snapper '53 Vette a couple years ago in polished white plastic, I decided it might be fun to do a whole series of Vette roadsters in polished white plastic with red interiors. This '59 is the second in the series. The next one will be an AMT '63, and then either a Revell '68 or an MPC '75. 

59Corvette22.jpg.f89d25a7155d50b9d1c4525c88ae067f.jpg

59Corvette27.jpg.fde1c9927a8214a96db69a76ff731cd0.jpg

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Will there even be a next round? We barely had enough to make a go of it this time, and only five completions.  If you want a next round, sound off now! :unsure:

Count me in with the Porsche 934!

On 1/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, Snake45 said:

Will there even be a next round? We barely had enough to make a go of it this time, and only five completions.  If you want a next round, sound off now! :unsure:

Five completions is five more models out of boxes!  

I'd say let's go for it.  I have models that still need finishing! (and probably always will!)

51 minutes ago, dave branson said:

So is thing happening again, if so I will be in just have to which 1 to work with .

I’m guessing this thread has died. The op has not started a new round that would have started on New Year’s Day. He required a minimum number of participants per round and apparently there were not enough. Sad as this had been one of the most productive & interesting threads on the site.

5 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

I’m guessing this thread has died. The op has not started a new round that would have started on New Year’s Day. He required a minimum number of participants per round and apparently there were not enough. Sad as this had been one of the most productive & interesting threads on the site.

Agreed. I completed three old, stalled projects, based solely on the fact that I threw my hat into this ring, with them. It helped me remain focused on them, rather than just breaking out something new  to play with.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, dave branson said:

looks real 

Thanks Dave, that's quite a compliment.

It will be a shame if this thread dies as I've got three stalled builds over the line in the last couple of rounds. I think we're a couple short of the required eight entrants for this round to go ahead. 

10 minutes ago, steveracer said:

Not sure what this is.  But I can make an assumption.  

Or--here's an idea--you could go back and read Page 1 of the thread, or at least the first few posts....:unsure::lol:B)

ETA: Actually, posts 3 and 7 on Page 2 (from me) pretty much lay out the rules here, such as they are. B)

Edited by Snake45

D987D240-5754-4CA3-9B43-D86C28EB8BAD.jpeg.3603188973521437260555853b23ee14.jpeg

Okay, count me in with the Gullwing Studebaker!  

This is ancient, even the photos and my last attempt to resurrect it are from 2006. 

You can figure the kits involved were the 1953 Studebaker and Mercedes Gullwing. This was my first attempt at major work and I fell short in several areas I can fix today.. so it’s time!

74D0A196-7035-41DB-BD38-9C3700819A33.jpeg.e6c0d3ba5f8d58d6a859728836157de0.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like now. I had stripped the bad paint job off.  The bodywork sucked, the doors don’t exactly fit, nor had I figured out how to hinge them. I’m not looking for perfection, just to let it out of the box!

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Or--here's an idea--you could go back and read Page 1 of the thread, or at least the first few posts....:unsure::lol:B)

ETA: Actually, posts 3 and 7 on Page 2 (from me) pretty much lay out the rules here, such as they are. B)

Yea. Went back to p1 and referenced a prior event so I stopped there. I’ll see what I can find in page 2. 

I’m in too, that’s if I qualify. I had this in mind for the next BOYD round I hadn’t worked on this trailer in 15(?) years, until I had given up hope for a new BOYD round & primered the underside of the lower deck just this morning!? Will that disqualify me?8725E658-D79E-4418-8407-2421779F380F.thumb.jpeg.0c714fa5746ab7574fa6c7dede626d7a.jpeg06FA1B59-2A75-4F40-9EBD-68AE1B86679F.thumb.jpeg.faa711f0ac113cd2ac923072737dafb8.jpegAMT Auto Transport
I plan is to use it as display & eventually get a Dodge tractor under it. 

3 minutes ago, #1 model citizen said:

I’m in too, that’s if I qualify. I had this in mind for the next BOYD round I hadn’t worked on this trailer in 15(?) years, until I had given up hope for a new BOYD round & primered the underside of the lower deck just this morning!? Will that disqualify me?

No, especially since we're late getting started. I'll put you on the new list I'm putting together. B)

Well, this Camaro was started in 1977 or 1978, and the paint has been curing for that long.  Thing is, I am almost done with it as I have revived the build before I read this thread.  Can I play?

Alternatively or in addition, I have this TR8 that I started about the same time.  LOL, this is a curbside kit that now looks like this....

Do reconstructions count?  I have some of those to complete.

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Okay, here's the recap of Round 9, and a roster of Round 10: 

ROUND 9: FINISH DATE DECEMBER 31, 2020

Tom Geiger: Jeepster THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Straightliner59: Midget/Indy car FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Misha: Tall T coupe MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Nzanglia: '65 Mustang modified MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Dave Branson: '66 Barracuda

Spottedlaurel: '55 Chevy FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

TimJ: Firebird funny car SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Superbird

Snake45: '59 Corvette FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

ROUND 10: FINISH DATE MARCH 31, 2021

Misha: Porsche 934

Spottedlaurel: '59 Cadillac Hearse

Gotnitro?: '53 Ford Crew Cab

Tim J: '70 Chevelle

#1 Model Citizen: AMT Auto Transport Trailer

Dave Branson: Undecided

Tom Geiger: '53 Studebaker Gullwing

Steveracer: '77 Camaro

Snake45: Undecided

So we do have the traditionally required 8, and I'm of course in for 9. Not sure yet what I'll do. 

1 hour ago, steveracer said:

Do reconstructions count?  I have some of those to complete.

Rebuilds/restorations/rescues/reconstructions of old built models don't count, UNLESS the re-work started over a year ago and was abandoned, same as any other project. B) I've got you down for that Camaro; Welcome aboard! B)