Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

Got the interior on the Camaro assembled last night and a little chassis detailing done. This kit is far from being a nice kit. I test fit the bumpers, neither the stock or the custom bumpers really fit at all. Stock bumpers are a true 1/8 inch too wide and the customs don't match the body curves at all.

Measured the wheel base several times, and I swear the body wheelbase is shorter than the chassis. The wheels don't look right in the wheel wells, no matter where I position the body on the chassis.

Oh well, I will soldier on and get it done.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, Pat Minarick said:

Maybe wood spokes???

When I was turning wrenches at a Cadillac dealer around 03 or 04, we had a customer with 24 inch spinners on their Escalade, The spinning part had actual wood grain inserts.

2 hours ago, ksnow said:

Oh well, I will soldier on and get it done.

Improvise! Adapt! Overcome! THAT's the kinda fighting spirit I was talkin' about! (Just to quote two completely different Clint Eastwood movies.) B)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right? The rear spoiler was way too wide for the body. I found an old thread on this kit, and the builder sectioned the spoiler to make it work. This is my first try at anything like this. So far, the end pieces fit well. Once the glue sets, I'll fit the middle piece. My race car just wouldn't look right without a spoiler.

If this goes well, I might just try it with the chin spoiler, also too wide. And off center.

For some reason, I can't get the pictures to load. I'll try again later.

2021-04-21_16.31.11[1].jpg

Edited by ksnow
pic added

2 hours ago, ksnow said:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right? The rear spoiler was way too wide for the body. I found an old thread on this kit, and the builder sectioned the spoiler to make it work. This is my first try at anything like this. So far, the end pieces fit well. Once the glue sets, I'll fit the middle piece. My race car just wouldn't look right without a spoiler.

If this goes well, I might just try it with the chin spoiler, also too wide. And off center.

For some reason, I can't get the pictures to load. I'll try again later.

It sucks when a kit doesn’t go together the way it should. You would think the manufacturers would correct these errors before putting them on the shelves or at least before the 1st reissue! 
However, I thought you had planned to build it like your friend’s, without a spoiler (if that helps... 😁). 

Yeah, that was the original plan. After reaquanting myself with how, um, basic, this kit is and how many compromises would have to be made, I scrapped that plan. New plan is to model it in the idea of a spectator drag car, something a guy found and fixed/built up enough to race at the local short track.

Oh, and there's no way I am even going to attempt to use the trans am - esque 40 year old decals.

I felt pretty confident after cutting and fitting the rear spoiler, I tried the front spoiler. I looked on the net at lots of short track/dirt track type camaros, and placement of the front spoiler/splitter seemed to be anywhere from way out on the edge of the bumper to way back next to the wheel wells. I decided somewhere in between gave me the look I was after, and still allowed the spoiler to be attached before inserting the chassis.

20210422_202832[1].jpg

1 minute ago, ksnow said:

I felt pretty confident after cutting and fitting the rear spoiler, I tried the front spoiler. I looked on the net at lots of short track/dirt track type camaros, and placement of the front spoiler/splitter seemed to be anywhere from way out on the edge of the bumper to way back next to the wheel wells. I decided somewhere in between gave me the look I was after, and still allowed the spoiler to be attached before inserting the chassis.

20210422_202832[1].jpg

Look perfect

Thanks Chaz. I'm actually having more fun with this build than I thought I would. Trying out new things, with no real worries if it doesn't turn out the way I expect it too.

I shaved all the badges off also, figured those wouldn't last long on the race track.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:34 PM, Whosurdaddy209 said:

Do you have any issues with the red plastic bleeding through the paint, the hood of my 67 vette has a red hugh, and I believe it's from the plastic being cast in red, but I don't know how to fix this problem, I tried to catch it in pics as best I could, in person it's very noticeable

I had that issue with a Dodge Caravan. No matter what I tried the red bled through and I was painting it white! I finally gave up & found one molded in white. About a month  ago I took a look at the red bleed through Caravan & it no longer has its pinkish hue! Oddly the rear bumper still looks pink (don’t remember what the front bumper looked like. I usually paint all parts at the same time so not sure why the discrepancy.) I know I had tried everything suggested: black primer, silver paint, even a stain blocker. Still looked pink until I now 🤔 I had heard once that setting  bare red plastic in a window or somewhere that it’s exposed to uv light will leach out a lot of the “problem”. I may have tried that with just the body but don’t know why it still looked pink when I first painted it but not now. Maybe after going through all that I was just seeing pink!

BTW The Vette looks great!

The red plastic on Dodge Caravan is evil!  I had one painted light blue with all Duplicolor paint and primer. All was well until someone suggested I give it a clear coat with Testors Extreme Clear. Somehow that reacted and pulled red all the way to the top.. awful!

On 4/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, Pat Minarick said:

I hope the edges will clean up after this dries for awhile. I like the colors and will get some clear on it later this week. 20210418_133413.thumb.jpg.027b928dea88937317e84a128e5ee51c.jpg20210418_133407.thumb.jpg.319d33221156a52eaed6cf7f25a8160d.jpg16187711186971818027562331510635.thumb.jpg.b95ab94b1304747f34ebfb56053da634.jpg

That wood grain looks absolutely sublime. Its also nice to see someone else using Gamesworkshop outside of Wargame painting. Im making really good use of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade on my current build.

3 minutes ago, NZanglia said:

That wood grain looks absolutely sublime. Its also nice to see someone else using Gamesworkshop outside of Wargame painting. Im making really good use of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade on my current build.

Thanks, I use their paint alot especially on my interiors. I sealed the wood grain with dull cote today ,so i will be able to clear it ftis week.

This week I have made good progress on Bumblebee. The subframe mechanicals for the head waist and torso all done. The fitting of parts is tricky as the plastic as a bit soft and the push fit plugs are tight even before you add paint into the mix. The ink washes and a bit of toning down of the various shades of metal are giving me a pleasing result. I finally found some Molotow. Very expensive over here for a low budget modeller such as myself but well worth it. With a clear red over the top the tail lights look very nice. Today I got the next batch of parts ready for detailing. These will form the structure and inner details for the lower legs and feet. 

IMG_20210426_163133.jpg

IMG_20210426_163145.jpg

IMG_20210426_163151.jpg

IMG_20210426_163231.jpg

Snake put me in with this PT Cruiser try to get it done this time. Started this when it first came out, trying to make it look like something Chip Foose would ddo if he built one of these. Body was lowered on chassis and body was painted with  MCW Panther Pink. Rims & Tires are from Fujimi. 

006.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

001.JPG

009.JPG

004 (2).JPG

010.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

6 minutes ago, dave branson said:

Snake put me in with this PT Cruiser try to get it done this time. Started this when it first came out, trying to make it look like something Chip Foose would ddo if he built one of these. Body was lowered on chassis and body was painted with  MCW Panther Pink. Rims & Tires are from Fujimi. 

006.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

001.JPG

009.JPG

004 (2).JPG

010.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

Cool! I have a 2006 PT Turbo GT convertible in red!  I have a couple of this kit set aside to build my car. What’s holding me up?  The car was changed a bit for 06. The headlights and bumpers are different. Wheels are different and the interior is completely new.. both upholstery patterns and dashboard shape.

Another good weekends worth of progress. Lower suspension weathered and assembled. Rear wheels and tyre assembly fitted. Optional upper actuators, front rims and energy displacement unit painted base silver and drying in preparation with detailing and weathering. Hopefully by next weekend I will be on to the body panels. 

IMG_20210502_155830.jpg

IMG_20210502_155835.jpg

IMG_20210502_155856.jpg

IMG_20210502_155953.jpg

I am ready to put paint on the camaro body, wife chose the color. Interior is all done. Chassis is finished and i did some mild weathering.I'm headed out for two weeks for work, so I won't be getting any modelling done for a while. Hope everyone else makes good progress.