Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

Since we have a couple new joiners, time for an update: 

ROUND 7: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2020

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord (extension from Round 6)

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck (extension from Round 6)

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird (extension from Round 6) FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: Amish Buggy

Gwolf: '59 Ford Galaxie

#1 Model Citizen: Caravan

89AKurt: VW Microvan

Stinkybritches: Tamiya 1995 Cobra R

Snake45: Revell '69 Nova, AMT AWB '66 Mustang

Demerovingian: 1930 Bentley

MeatMan: Dodge Little Red Truck

Bobthehobbyguy: Interest expressed but project not picked

Misha: Interest expressed but not officially declared, Tall T Coupe?

Hey I warned ya!  I’m not feeling the Amish Buggy custom, and I’m missing some of the paints needed to pull it off, so I’m changing horses! 

42E188A9-4EF4-4741-BD51-7D59A6623DC3.jpeg.77f30d72242b84456fd799ad664cce68.jpeg

I pulled this Jeepster down from my unfinished project shelf the other day. There’s parts from what looks like several kits to complete it. 

I remember what shelved it.. this was pre Internet and I was using an original Jeep brochure for reference. Somehow they had the drawing of the engine in gold. Once completed and wired, I took it to my club meeting where I was informed that was incorrect. So I was ticked off and put it aside. 

Looking at it today, I have a box of parts Commando versions with extra engines that don’t belong in that year Jeep anyway.  So I will do another engine on the proper color, which I have in stock. I will save the gold one to use in a street rod or something. That would be an interesting engine in my next T Bucket!

So I will start this one today!

27 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Hey I warned ya!  I’m not feeling the Amish Buggy custom, and I’m missing some of the paints needed to pull it off, so I’m changing horses! 

42E188A9-4EF4-4741-BD51-7D59A6623DC3.jpeg.77f30d72242b84456fd799ad664cce68.jpeg

I pulled this Jeepster down from my unfinished project shelf the other day. There’s parts from what looks like several kits to complete it. 

I remember what shelved it.. this was pre Internet and I was using an original Jeep brochure for reference. Somehow they had the drawing of the engine in gold. Once completed and wired, I took it to my club meeting where I was informed that was incorrect. So I was ticked off and put it aside. 

Looking at it today, I have a box of parts Commando versions with extra engines that don’t belong in that year Jeep anyway.  So I will do another engine on the proper color, which I have in stock. I will save the gold one to use in a street rod or something. That would be an interesting engine in my next T Bucket!

So I will start this one today!

Sounds like you have an engine painted gold that is ready to put into an Amish buggy...

Don't be sad but I've took a turn on the truck... as mentioned I have been altering the Crew Chief blazer 4X4 frame. I swiped the wheels and tires from the Baja bronco and I removed the top trim off the cab. I'll repaint that once I'm done with the frame work... More struggling on the way...

20200428_202033.jpg

My next BOYD project is this 1962 Corvette. I painted this one in November 2018. It was to be a replica of a Corvette I photographed back in 1980! I was 12 years old. My parents house backs up to the parking lot of the West Islip high school. From my bedroom I would always check out the parking lot to see if they were any interest in cars. I spotted this Corvette and grabbed my camera and ran across the parking lot and took some pictures. From running all that way, I guess it made my handshake and the pictures did not come out so well. But I put them in a photo album anyway and always wanted to build a model of that car. With the 62 Corvette being issued by Revell, I thought it was time to give it a go. So I paint the body and then went to my apps printer to print out the decals for the fenders. But I could not get my apps to play with any of my computers anymore. MicroMark came out with a white cartridge for an HP printer last year. I bought it in October of last year but hadn’t set it up until a couple days ago. I printed out the decals and I’m ready to roll again!

2824DDE9-21BE-4E1A-974B-C6838020BD5E.jpeg

C715927F-6693-40D1-BF72-486DE44EE68A.jpeg

29679F07-DE71-455B-A9B3-31163B2C9F50.jpeg

11 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

69 Chevelle is released by Revell. I need that Motion car

The Camaro turned out sweet... That would make a great "Baldwin Chevrolet" delevery diorama maybe build a 67 or 68 COE flatbed for hauling...

At first I was dissappointed at the announcement of the Revell 69 Chevelle... I guess in order speed up the release they decided to use the existing 68 body without the vinyl top... I had heard awhile back that the 69 would be vinyl top for the option to swap bodies... I know the top was added to the 68 and it turned out great but It would've been much easier to have that body to swap. I guess, where's the fun in that though right? ?

Enough changes to justify an update: 

ROUND 7: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2020

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord (extension from Round 6)

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck (extension from Round 6)

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird (extension from Round 6) FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: Jeepster

Gwolf: '59 Ford Galaxie

#1 Model Citizen: Caravan

89AKurt: VW Microvan

Stinkybritches: Tamiya 1995 Cobra R

Snake45: Revell '69 Nova, AMT AWB '66 Mustang MAKING GREAT PROGRESS ON THE MUSTANG

Demerovingian: 1930 Bentley

MeatMan: Dodge Little Red Truck

Superbird McMonte: '69 B/M Camaro SECOND COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '62 Corvette

Bobthehobbyguy: Interest expressed but project not picked

Misha: Interest expressed but not officially declared, Tall T Coupe?

19 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The Camaro turned out sweet... That would make a great "Baldwin Chevrolet" delevery diorama maybe build a 67 or 68 COE flatbed for hauling...

At first I was dissappointed at the announcement of the Revell 69 Chevelle... I guess in order speed up the release they decided to use the existing 68 body without the vinyl top... I had heard awhile back that the 69 would be vinyl top for the option to swap bodies... I know the top was added to the 68 and it turned out great but It would've been much easier to have that body to swap. I guess, where's the fun in that though right? ?

You’re right, it would be nice if the 69 had the vinyl top. Correct me if I’m wrong, but did one year have chrome trim along the bottom too?

Last night I was in an online group build/chat session for another 6 or 7 hours! Made some major progress on the 62 Corvette. I had set up my new printer earlier this week and printed out the white lettering for the front fenders. 

This is one layer of decals on the front fender. This would be great for putting a color over the lettering to do maybe let’s say red or blue. But it’s a straight white I thought it could be a little brighter especially on a black car.
1B1E43B9-6D90-4A77-9CDA-1245108E0632.thumb.jpeg.f67f2942c5d6f8a51d0ba66f4f0712b3.jpeg

3A6C450D-B9EF-40A7-B4FC-771E0DF73984.thumb.jpeg.e061c2ab45e73001c3b86e9739b7f418.jpeg

So I decided to lay another set of decals over top. Before I matched up the registration, it occurred to me that they looked very much like the picture I took back in 1980!?

2DB4F789-E725-4C05-9B13-EF0E62DA199F.thumb.jpeg.d3b9a8e9b3c578dfe428ddb0894dcf11.jpeg

Unfortunately, the original picture I took in 1980 had total camera shake!?‍♂️

B2426335-BB4A-4640-AF3C-3C5B57EE1481.jpeg.59932e3e2d9e0278712738c790dfc09c.jpeg

The picture below shows two layers of decals. I think they look much better.

4566F283-959A-4F84-8AFA-63E9B827550C.thumb.jpeg.cfe713cf38173e2bfa16e4c39d837d5f.jpeg

I go back to work tomorrow morning for two weeks, 24/7. I hope to get this one done in the next few hours before I have to pack!

Edited by Superbird McMonte

22 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

but did one year have chrome trim along the bottom too?

I think both years had some sort of trim... 68 more common than 69 though. I like the 300 Deluxe, I had a chance to buy one a few years ago... should've bought it, 68/69 Post Chevelles are pretty rare...

Screenshot_20200502-084525~2.png

1968-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-396~2.jpeg

5 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

From the photo I thought it read "Bad Dream" lol

Where can I get software to print white ink on my laser printer? That is nex level technology right there, it looks awesome!

you need an HP254DW printer and the white cartridge that goes in place of the black one. The white cartridge is quite pricey. As much as a refurbished printer. $200+
I got everything for MicroMark

Edited by Superbird McMonte

2 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

You’re right, it would be nice if the 69 had the vinyl top. Correct me if I’m wrong, but did one year have chrome trim along the bottom too?

The '69 Malibu had the chrome trim strip, but the SS396 did NOT. The '68 SS had it. The AMT '69 SS kit has incorrectly had it for decades, carried over from the '68 kit. The original '69 El Camino didn't, though.