Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

If I hadn't started on the Peterbilt, first, I'd have finished the Indy car easily. As it is, it's not going to happen. I am going to keep at it, and get 'er done! So, if you'll have me, I'm in for the next round!

Yes, you and Tom are eligible for your one extension into the next round, since this was the first go-around on your projects. B)

Great work, TimJ, our THIRTEENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! 

I just finished up the Mustang drag car, hope to have pics up in a little while. B)

Edited by Snake45

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Yes, you and Tom are eligible for your one extension into the next round, since this was the first go-around on your projects. B)

Great work, TimJ, our THIRTEENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! 

I just finished up the Mustang drag car, hope to have pics up in a little while. B)

Excellent news on all counts! Looking forward to seeing your photos! Congratulations to everyone who finished! Nice job, everyone!

Edited by Straightliner59

42 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Excellent news on all counts! Looking forward to seeing your photos! Congratulations to everyone who finished! Nice job, everyone!

Okay, here's mine. FOURTEENTH COMPLETION, GOTTER DONE! 

This is one of my oldest surviving models, originally built in 1966 and repainted/rebuilt as shown in '69 or '70. This is the seventh original AMT '65-'66 Mustang fastback I've restored/rescued in the last two years, and it was in by far the in the worst shape of any of them, both overall and the body specifically. It was a shameful mess. Now it's barely fit to sit on my Survivors shelf. 

66MustangFBFS11.jpg.459c03f5670f201e60e0aaa449d77565.jpg

Here it is alongside with the fourth AMT Mustang fastback I restored/rescued (earlier this year), which was also built as a drag car. It's better than mine in every way except for the roached-out rear wheel openings. (And I have four other ones that are better than either of these two.) 

66MustangFBFS16.jpg.786cc6a0f4d53fb220ef2a24bf4a7a24.jpg

66MustangFBFS17.jpg.3774129e3b8ad904cf7d4bcee8d1c90a.jpg

I'll post the final roundup of Round 8 tomorrow morning, to see if any more completions come in tonight. B)

Okay here's the final wrapup of Round 8, our most productive EVAH! with 14 completions! :D

ROUND 8 : FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30, 2020

Tom Geiger: Jeepster MAKING GOOD PROGRESS!

Disconovaman: '65 Mustang convertible NINTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Spottedlaurel: '65 Corvette THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Straightliner59: Midget/Indy car MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Misha: Tall T coupe MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

TimJ: '99 Mustang Cobra EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '37 Ford THIRTEENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Oldscool: '66 Impala FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '69 GTX SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

vamach1: Mystic Chrome Cobra

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Superbird

Snake45: '66 Mustang FOURTEENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Eric Macleod: Packard Speedster Victoria

Dave Branson: 2008 Challenger FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to 2007 Camaro TENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Deuces II: '68 Dodge Dart

Cheyenne93: Chevy Suburban and trailer FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '69 Chevelle SEVENTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Monte Carlo TWELFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Dragcarz: Mustang Funny Car SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Tim Boyd: '32 Ford Roadster: ELEVENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Nzanglia: '65 Mustang modified MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Anyone up for a Round 9? It would end December 31. So far it looks like we have a few extensions lined up already, and several others have expressed interest but not yet declared a specific project. 

ROUND 9: FINISH DATE DECEMBER 31, 2020

Spottedlaurel:

Dave Branson:

Tim Boyd:

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Anyone up for a Round 9? It would end December 31. So far it looks like we have a few extensions lined up already, and several others have expressed interest but not yet declared a specific project.......

Enjoyed being part of this, glad to get mine across the line.

For the next round you can put me down for a '55 Chevy. I'll get some current photos sorted over the weekend, but basically it's a circa 1990 issue Monogram Street Machine kit being built as a loose replica of the Two Lane Blacktop car.

It stalled on some things I felt were a bit tricky, but having seen some of what people are doing and contending with on here I just need to get stuck in and sort it. It's been several years, probably more than a decade, since I last did anything on it.........

Here's my entry for this round, an Airfix boxing of the MPC Burnout Bird funny car. I started this in September 2012, just after I got back into model car building and the last time I did anything to it was a few months later. I had to replace the kit decals for the body side with some checkers from a 'Vette Agin as I've found that old MPC decals don't take kindly to being asked to conform to curves.

50409181766_e1eee02a3e_z.jpgDSCF1713 by timothy jones, on Flickr

50409338697_47538fb8f8_z.jpgDSCF1714 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Dave, Nigel, and TimJ, got you on the list for the next update. That's seven officially declared in so far (assuming Misha intends to continure). B)

Nigel, did you have a Workbench thread going on that '55 Chevy? I have a vague recollection of such a project shown here, somewhere, sometime....:unsure:

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Dave, Nigel, and TimJ, got you on the list for the next update. That's seven officially declared in so far (assuming Misha intends to continure). B)

Nigel, did you have a Workbench thread going on that '55 Chevy? I have a vague recollection of such a project shown here, somewhere, sometime....:unsure:

Thanks Snake.

Haven't started a WIP thread yet. I did post an old photo on a thread somewhere else on here, something that was encouraging people to show their unfinished projects - I think that's when you mentioned the B.O.Y.D. topic and how I ended up here with the Corvette.

Just about to get photos of it today.......

7 hours ago, dave branson said:

that is looking real nice

Agreed, it has a great look to it.

Here's mine for this round:

50410278063_b2470a9d5f_b.jpg

1:24 Monogram 1955 Chevy kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50410982611_c65fe4be82_b.jpg

1:24 Monogram 1955 Chevy kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I'll start a separate WIP thread for it, but basically I started it in the early '90s after watching and enjoying Two Lane Blacktop (one of my favourite car films). Pre-internet days, so any images and inspiration were taken from me pausing my taped-off-TV VHS copy.

I made life slightly difficult for myself by starting with the Monogram kit, but I don't think I knew about the AMT '55 and I always had a preference for Monogram's offerings.

As I already have too many projects underway I don't think there'll be much immediate progress, but with a week off later this month and what looks like a quiet Christmas break I should be OK to get it finished, at last.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

I’m glad we are in a new round. I was feeling a lot of pressure, and now have some breathing room to do it right rather than quickly slamming it together!

My project had gone down that road to overcomplicatus. I started out just wanting to finish assembly of the kit. Then I decided to swap in a four cylinder engine, vs the kits V6. That was a lot more work than anticipated. I had to relocate the trans mount and then change lengths of both driveshafts and rework the exhaust system. It also required redoing the floor to accommodate the trans and transfer case. 

Then I addressed the thing that stopped my original build.. the way the box was molded to the interior and lack of inside side panels. That caused re-engineering everything! And when I walked away for a few weeks I forgot how this puzzle assembled!  

And not to forget that I am actually building two of these at the same time!  The red pickup is in this event, while the four seater convertible doesn’t qualify since it’s a new build cobbled together from my Jeepster parts box.  Play on!

F1CFE61F-E5D6-45A4-83A0-BE638A421D29.thumb.jpeg.cc80b7c2395ac4f5593c709ae7cee811.jpeg

Both Jeepster chassis mocked up. The red pickup has a four, the other has the kit’s V6.

5ED6BCFE-297C-4C57-BBC3-767463A5CD01.thumb.jpeg.ed6c42af71a5cba5b84fa0002fc9df32.jpeg

Re-engineered bed assembly with inside panels. It was just a void in the kit.

4E81356F-A49C-413E-9F71-A520D30EA076.jpeg.b74fb393b02862aacb43d50caa851ce7.jpeg

Re-engineered floor to fit 4 cylinder trans and transfer case.

E81BC0FE-C0C5-4557-BC57-034E8D4A7A27.thumb.jpeg.da7a5a964bbc68c3484ca38f6b502daa.jpeg

Body in first coats of paint, test fit of roof onto re-engineered interior etc.

B0E063C0-5721-4174-8F46-E27B9A334AD3.jpeg.e273c3fe1a7032cac09905a2747f3825.jpeg

Chassis with four glued in place with new driveshafts and exhaust in place 

4D941DA4-26C7-45B6-8B20-B8CFB84D789C.thumb.jpeg.322baa115c4ed5ff3c6e890d7679cd55.jpeg

Up on wheels. I ran out of paint, was fortunate that Pep Boys still had same color Duplicolor. Onward and upward!

On 10/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, Snake45 said:

Anyone up for a Round 9? It would end December 31. So far it looks like we have a few extensions lined up already, and several others have expressed interest but not yet declared a specific project. 

Spottedlaurel:

Dave Branson:

Tim Boyd:

Snake, the Superbird wasn’t calling to me last time around.... can I get an extension?

1 hour ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Snake, the Superbird wasn’t calling to me last time around.... can I get an extension?

No problem, Round 8 was its first go-round so you're entitled to one extension. I've added you to the list for the next update. GITTER DONE! B)

On 10/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, Snake45 said:

Spottedlaurel:

Dave Branson:

Tim Boyd:

Richard....when I retired at the end of 2013 I put together a list of my partially finished projects.  There were about 65 of 'em.  Since then, a few have been crossed off the list, but a number of others have been added!  

However, I did get two projects done and off my list, dating from 50 and 51 years ago: the restoration (in 2019) of my 4th Nationwide finish in the 1968 Dodge/Car Model/MPC Funny Car Contest, and (earlier this year) the restoration of the original body from my 1970 'cuda funny car with the "HydraSlide" frame that won Best Detail at the MPC/Car Model  "World's  Largest Model Car Contest" at the 1970 Detroit Autorama.   Those don't count here, I suppose, as they were once (in both cases, briefly) finished before each suffering catastrophic damage shortly thereafter....

For anyone interested, here are the in-depth details and tutorials showing how they were restored...and a few related pix....

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyds-car-model/

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyds-1970-mpc-/tim-boyds-1970-mpc-/

DSC 0201

DSC 0213

DSC 1111

DSC 0224

DSC 0599

(it was in much worse condition than it appears above....)

DSC 0210

(Final resto with original paint finish and decals from Detroit Best of Show recreated)

Thanks for looking....TIM

Edited by tim boyd