Model Cars Magazine Forum

Road Warrior vs Convoy Mack comparison info please.

Is anyone familiar with the differences in the two rigs from these movies? I believe that the RW rig is a R600 and the Convoy rig is a RS700 (RS712LST). Can the Convoy rig be used (without a ton of work) to replicate the Road Warrior truck? Is there another Mack model that would be an easier conversion?

I know that AITM has resin parts available to convert a Pete 359 to the Duel rig. Does anyone make the parts needed to convert the Convoy Mack to Road Warrior?

If this subject has come up before, my apologies. I searched the site using the Search function here and by modelcarsmag.com road warrior mack as per instructions in the Q&A section. I used both StartPage (Google) and DuckDuckGo as my search engines. I got nothing.

Edited by DPNM

3 minutes ago, towman1271 said:

The Mack R685 would be your best starting spot.. Like Anton said you would need to move the steering wheel to a right hander and get another air cleaner for the left side.  They are also the tall Australian  type.  Auslowe has resin air cleaners in that style

th.jpg

Thank you for the input Anton and Dave. I did realize that the dash had to be changed . The R685ST sounds like the best way to go. Not having that kit I do not know what it's dash looks like. A lot of times these conversions can be done by cutting the dished in "passenger" side and grafting it onto the opposite side. No that difficult I wouldn't think. I was afraid of a lot of body hack and whack.

Looking at the Auslowe site I'd guess that I'd need the 16" Cyclopac air cleaner (AC2) but I'm not sure which of the Ram tubes to use.

https://www.auslowe.com.au/shop/category/aircleaners-accessories-/383

I'm gonna have to watch the movie again to refresh my memory and pause it to look at different aspects of the truck. It is my favorite film.:D

I was going to suggest checking out Auslowe's site, lots of left-right conversions and other stuff to modify American truck kits into Aussie trucks.  The R685 will be a better start, as said above, and more economical.  The price on the AITM Duck kit is steep if you don't need it.  Not that it isn't a good kit, I have one under build, but why do more than you have to?

9 hours ago, DPNM said:

Is anyone familiar with the differences in the two rigs from these movies? I believe that the RW rig is a R600 and the Convoy rig is a RS700 (RS712LST). Can the Convoy rig be used (without a ton of work) to replicate the Road Warrior truck? Is there another Mack model that would be an easier conversion?

I know that AITM has resin parts available to convert a Pete 359 to the Duel rig. Does anyone make the parts needed to convert the Convoy Mack to Road Warrior?

If this subject has come up before, my apologies. I searched the site using the Search function here and by modelcarsmag.com road warrior mack as per instructions in the Q&A section. I used both StartPage (Google) and DuckDuckGo as my search engines. I got nothing.

The Rubber Duck truck in the Convoy movie was a Western RS700L and the Road Warrior truck was a R600 so there are some differences between them, the main problem is that the old MPC/ERTL Convoy kit is a DM600 with a short hood and offset cab so it's completely different and not usable for any of these movie trucks if you want to do them correct.
So the R685 is a better starting point if you want to do a Road Warrior truck...and Auslowe have most of the parts you need to do the truck right as mentioned before.

The amt r series is the best starting point. The engine and gearbox from the dm600 would be the accurate part of the driveline. You could alter the dash from the DM600 to right hand drive. The road warrior has a steel dash and a narrow cab. You could narrow the cab or order a different cab and hood from aitm, or modify the dm600 cab with the front part of the amt r series. Hopefully this helps.

Ben

I went to a model show/swapmeet today and scored this. The dragster isn't important to this conversation but the Mack is. Both are sealed. Now I will not need to try to convert my Convoy rig. Thank you to all who helped me. It is greatly appreciated. This project is on the back burner for now but I have a better start thanks to you fine gentleman. I'll need to place an Auslowe order too.

potbellys 001.jpg

As far as the Convoy kit, they fetch good prices so you might as well sell it and make some bucks...because you can't build a correct Convoy Rubber Duck truck from it anyway without modifying it heavily.
I bought one back in the day when it was new and the only usable parts for a Rubber Dock truck are the duck hood ornament, the bull bar and the roof air foil, the rest is wrong.
You are better off getting the AITM Convoy resin kit instead if you want to do the Rubber Duck in the future.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, eldiablo78 said:

set 2 was made by Mahenoguy from Australia from the web site https://www.madmaxmovies.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 ,

and search for this thread ( Lost diorama opening chase ).

P3184681%20-%20Copy.JPG

P3184682%20-%20Copy.JPG

P3184699%20-%20Copy.JPG

P3184710%20-%20Copy.JPG

P3184712%20-%20Copy.JPG

I found the post on this eldiablo78. I can't think of enough good words to say how well this was built. Golly!!! It's breathtaking.

From his post it sounded like his models were stored in his shed which is what burned. What a loss. Tragic.
I tried to post a direct link here but it didn't work. I believe I found the Mahenoguy post on page 2.

I have a diorama scene that I've been gathering pieces for, it's still a project I haven't decided to start yet.

Edited by DPNM