Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barris '70 Impala (finished interior 16th December)

geetee66

I was thinking of improving my airbrush skills and wanted to build something more or less OOB, and concentrate on trying out paint techniques. This popped up on eBay for £20.

38 years old and stil in cellophane! The box interior had that 'old' smell.

IMG_2743.JPG

The Barris decals are rub-on transfers and there's a sheet of self adhesive prismatic sticker material.

I'm not going to use either of these, as I intend to paint designs on the body.

I removed all the scripts and door handles. The mould seams n the body were feint but there were a few sink marks to deal with.

IMG_2748.JPG

I used the custom rear window and filled the gaps

IMG_2749.JPG

After a fruitless search for Pegasus wheels online, I opted for some nice rims from the AMT 60 Starliner kit, shod with narrow whites from the sorely missed Modelhaus..

IMG_2751.JPG

A big canvas for some creativity!

IMG_2752.JPG

Edited by geetee66

I've now given it a silver base coat, which will outline the patterns.

I have some decals I want to try and involve in the design, too. 

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

I made two line tape knives. 

I cut the chuck with a disc in my Dremel, so two blades fit side by side

IMG_2760.JPG

Also sandwiched a piece of 1mm card between two Stanley blades, for slightly wider lines.

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

Edited by geetee66

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd try out nail polish on this build. Never used it before, but it's proving to be very nice to work with.

and it's cheap. 

Plus, the metallic particles are a much better scale than automotive paint. I just thinned it 2 parts thinner, 1 part colour. It's touch dry within a few minutes and goes on really smooth ?

IMG_2802.JPG

Cool work!  I'll be watching.  I haven't figured out how to do such intricate work myself!

BTW, I had that same Chevy back in the day.  Mine was triple gold, 350 engine, got like 10 mpg!  It had a trunk you could put several bodies in!  

I sold it to a guy who had a floor buffing business because all his equipment fit in that trunk!

7 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

I'm enjoying watching this one come together,  paint design looks outstanding !

Can I ask what type of tape you use ?  And once sprayed, do you remove the tape straight away ?

Tamiya tape. It's the best I've found. I tried their flexible tape, but it kinks on tight radius curves.

The tape so far, is for the silver lines and will mostly stay put until the end. I've got to finish the silver lines, hit it with another colour and mask again. I'm hoping the nail polish will go down thinner than auto paint and avoid the stepping of layers.

thanks for the kind comments everyone 

2 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Tamiya tape. It's the best I've found. I tried their flexible tape, but it kinks on tight radius curves.

The tape so far, is for the silver lines and will mostly stay put until the end. I've got to finish the silver lines, hit it with another colour and mask again. I'm hoping the nail polish will go down thinner than auto paint and avoid the stepping of layers.

thanks for the kind comments everyone 

Looking forward to seeing your finished paint job. I've had good luck with flexible tape both on models and 1:1 cars by stretching the tape around tight curves.