Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barris '70 Impala (finished interior 16th December)

geetee66

Finished applying the colours and peeled off the tape, today.

Gonna let it all dry and harden properly, before it gets a light wet sanding and a clearcoat.

I think I'm going to do another wild paint job on my next one. I really like the experiments in colour etc.

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

• Like 1

Looks incredible, great job !  Looking forward to your next one already !

I gotta try this myself again one day, I experimented on an old body before but had trouble with the paint lifting when removing tape. Looks like you had none of that.

You gotta start playing around with felt and try interiors next it's great fun ! !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Holy Moly Guy!!  That is the nicest version of a LowRider type

paint job I have ever seen!!!   Color choices are gorgeous, and

all the lines and swirls come together perfectly!

If that was a experiment, I will trade you my '70 Impala body,

and you can start over!?!? 

David S.

On 02/12/2018 at 6:51 PM, mod3l Lover said:

Holy Moly Guy!!  That is the nicest version of a LowRider type

paint job I have ever seen!!!   Color choices are gorgeous, and

all the lines and swirls come together perfectly!

If that was a experiment, I will trade you my '70 Impala body,

and you can start over!?!? 

David S.

LOL!

Thanks everybody! I'm glad you approve.

I have two 59 Impalas and a 62 Catalina in my stash, awaiting similar treatment. I'm itching to get started on the next (or maybe a wild paint job on a slammed BMW Isetta? Yes, really. It's next)

This paint session taught me a lot and there's still more techniques to try. This was my first attempt with nail polish. I'm very pleased with how it flows in the airbrush.

I mixed it about 1.5 thinner to 1 colour. Coarser metallic colours need about 2:1 or the needle clogs up. I sprayed at about 12 psi.

if you haven't tried airbrushing nail polish, I urge you to have a go!

It's SO much better than rattle can paint. It goes on thin, dries fast, and you can get some amazing pearls and flakes. I got two bottles for £3 at the local pharmacy. ?

8 hours ago, iBorg said:

The question everyone has......how did you prevent the tape from lifting the paint?

It did break up a tiny bit with the candy paint. But that's probably because I decanted it from a rattle can and it goes on a bit thicker than nail polish. I left it a bit too long before I removed the tape. 

But the nail polish is a thinner layer, so dries very quickly and the tape can be removed easily after a few minutes, leaving a clean line. Also, the angle which you pull the tape, makes a difference. I pulled it flat along the line, rather than up and away from the surface.

Edited by geetee66

Thanks again for the interest in this build, guys!

Found some nice custom seats from the extra parts in the 65 Pontiac GP kit, along with a centre console.

Flocked the carpet and replaced the kit wheel with one from the parts box. Added a turn signal stalk and chromed the column with a molotow pen

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

• Like 1