Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford Galaxy 500 XL

thecrossguy

Hello all. Well it has been a long time since I’ve last posted or even built a model. Yesterday I went to the Oregon Society of Scale modelers show in clackamas or at Denny’s. Entered two models. A 58 Edsel and a 54 Hudson Hornet which took 2nd place in factory stock. So that reignited my desire to build again. Here’s a picture of the two I entered in the show. And the project I am starting on. 

EE0AFCDB-F424-4A4E-970F-171EA3015001.jpeg

BC5897A2-42EA-4C19-92B2-2AD2920F90F7.jpeg

Nice work. Can’t wait to see what you do with the Galaxie. Even though that’s a old tool I have special attraction to that kit. The very first glue kit I ever built was the Cruisin USA version back around 1980, plus I have a 1:1 65 LTD 2dr in the garage.

• 10 months later...

Ok so slow going on this one. Life, Work blah blah blah. But here is an update. It took me a while to accept the fact that the engine was black for around halfway in to 1965 then ford went to blue. Okay fine. Not the worst thing ford has done. I was going to try to keep a stock color but I think I'm set on Root Beer Pearl from HOK. As for the interior...still undecided. Need to go back to the drawing board and figure that out.

IMG_3104.JPG

For the interior color, Tamiya Champagne is a nice match for many of the light tans/golds used in that time period, and would go well with the brown exterior. Use a non-metallic flat light brown for the carpet and some of the instrument panel, and don't forget to hit the champgne with semi-gloss to tone down the shine on the interior so it'll look more like vinyl.

Charlie Larkin

I was able to get a little bit done today. Got the engine partially glued together. I really don't like the carbs that come with the kit. I was looking at some fireball carbs but not sure what to go with.

Also I may remove the exhaust on the chassis and go with the side pipes.

I like the champagne color for the interior Charlie. Maybe root beer dash and accents with champagne?

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

Alrighty so after really looking at the motor and not liking it I ordered a 427 engine and some fireball carbs. Got the engine de chromed with bleach. Gonna wire it and such. I was thinking of finding a tubbed chassis and doing a drag car but that might be out of my capabilities. 

Attending the Oregon Modelers Society Car show today so probably won’t get much done. 

DFB76EE9-A767-4F42-B8C0-46EBDEF27A6B.jpeg

Edited by thecrossguy

17 hours ago, thecrossguy said:

Alrighty so after really looking at the motor and not liking it I ordered a 427 engine and some fireball carbs. Got the engine de chromed with bleach. Gonna wire it and such. I was thinking of finding a tubbed chassis and doing a drag car but that might be out of my capabilities. 

Attending the Oregon Modelers Society Car show today so probably won’t get much done. 

DFB76EE9-A767-4F42-B8C0-46EBDEF27A6B.jpeg

Don't use the valve covers that come with the Revell, they look like SBC covers and not tall enough. Other than that it is a nice engine.

B&L Resin makes some nice FE covers. They can also be found in the Revell Thunderbolt and the original issue AMT 64 Galaxie

website 1 022-850x850.jpg

5 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Don't use the valve covers that come with the Revell, they look like SBC covers and not tall enough. Other than that it is a nice engine.

B&L Resin makes some nice FE covers. They can also be found in the Revell Thunderbolt and the original issue AMT 64 Galaxie

website 1 022-850x850.jpg

Yeah I was gonna use the ones from the 65 kit. I also used the oil pan and I might use the manifold. Got the holes drilled out for the spark plug wire. Broke another bit. ugh.

22 hours ago, thecrossguy said:

Yeah I was gonna use the ones from the 65 kit. I also used the oil pan and I might use the manifold. Got the holes drilled out for the spark plug wire. Broke another bit. ugh.

Yea, the kit ones have the right look, but always seemed narrow to me. JMO

Alright so I got the body painted, Hood, Trunk and firewall as well. Some parts didn't stick very well and you can see silver. I may sand it down some and spray another coat. It is House of Kolor RootBeer Candy. The paint is a couple years old so not sure if that has something to do with it. First time I've used it since I ordered it a couple years ago. Hoping to get the chassis together and then work on the interior.

IMG_3189.JPG

Edited by thecrossguy

Thanks everyone. Didn't get much done as some other stuff came up. I was able to get the interior painted champagne. Just need to tape off the accents and get those painted. Also need to sand down the body a little more and spray another coat.

And I am slowly getting the chassis together.

Alrighty I got another coat on the body done. Gonna clear it today. Working on the suspension on this kit is a pain. Parts don’t fit right. So that’s taking longer. Working on the interior now. What do you guys and gals think of this color combo?  Champagne and dark copper. 

69B650C3-6216-4CCA-87B3-2A3CA07C7CBF.jpeg