Model Cars Magazine Forum

White 3000 Updated Done 1/1/19

Started my next project while waiting for parts from down under for the Convoy Mack build.  This will be a 1956 White 3000, loosely based on a truck I saw at a show some years ago.  I started with the Lindberg Dodge L700 kit as a donor for the chassis, engine and interior.  I have to say the Dodge L700 kit is probably the worst injection molded kit I've ever worked with.   The first chassis developed a bad warp somewhere in the assembly so I took very careful measures with the second one.  The BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH thing still warped, but not as bad.  Can't figure it out, nothing is stressed, parts just placed not stressed.....checked after every part.... then the next morning, a little twist in the frame.  Instructions are almost useless.  I do have a decent rolling chassis, waiting for paint.  Fuel tanks are from the Rubber Duck AITM kit.  I'm doing new tanks for that so these were surplus.  Cut down, need to mount and maybe add steps.  Cab is from Jimmy Flintstone, comes with the bumper.  Cleaned up well.  Tried  a primer I saw recommended in another thread but it just bubbled up so back to what's left of my Mr. Resin stock.  Now comes the hard part, trying to fit an interior (will use the Dodge kit parts) and mount the cab.  Once that is done, I should be able to get the cab into paint.  I have a paint scheme in mind, should look sweet when it's done.  I did drop the rear suspension on the chassis a bit, it still sits a little butt-high but not as bad as it was.

168361718.jpg

168361719.jpg

168361720.jpg

168361721.jpg

Edited by Warren D

Thanks, I thought about blocking up the front, but the one I saw a few years back had a slight rake to it so I lowered the rear slightly and called it quits.  At this point, I don't want to do any mods to the suspension, I'm afraid the little twist I have now will just magnify.  I already had the interior cut down, almost the same as yours, just have to start tweaking it and work on getting the cab to look right on the chassis without needing to do mods to the engine mounts.  Just a matter of time and some thinking.

13 hours ago, Pete68 said:

Warren

I don’t blame you I wouldn’t bother it either. What color are you going with?

I have a two-tone green in mind, red chassis which will make it easy as red is horrible to get covered.  What do you plan for the headlights?  I'm at a bit of a loss there, hate to buy an entire kit just for the headlights.  I thought I'd use the ones from the Dodge kit but they cast in one large piece.

I was looking at AITM earlier.  Probably be better than buying another kit, though I wouldn't mind a Mack DM....... 

I got my interior fit and the cab is now sitting right where I want it.  Went easier than I thought, just have to mod the dash.  Finishing the chassis is probably next, want to let the cab primer set up for a week before I start painting. 

Good idea to let it set up  specially since it’s  a resin cab if you have a hobby lobby near you they have the DM 600 that have those extra round headlights or you can just buy them from Dave there not on his list but he will sell them to you 

Looks great, I like the stance,  maybe some 22" rubber would fill  up the fenders  a little more.The L 700 is a great donor for exactly this type of vehicle.  I like to keep an eye out for damaged die cast trucks also for donor parts, the die cast White 3000  comes with a super detailed flat head six.

IMG_5736.JPG

On 11/17/2018 at 9:42 AM, Pete68 said:

You are welcome my sneaky friend, that’s going to be a beautiful truck. Are you going to put the front chrome hub caps on? 

Not sure about the hubcaps.  I'm looking around for something suitable but not finding what I want.  May leave them off for now and add them later if I find what I want.  Still have a long way to go before it's done.