Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Rod. Outdoor pictures added.

Lovefordgalaxie

I had this one in the works before starting on the '56 Ford I posted a WIP thread about, and just felt like finishing this one first. 

It's done according to my taste on non stock vehicles. 

Base kit is a Lindberg pace car I got with no decals and missing the up top. 

Did some basic bodywork to shave the side trim, than painted the body Mandarin Maroon (1940 Ford color) with synthetic enamel. 

Painted the interior plain insignia red. 

Lowered the suspension, using lowering blocks on the rear, and actually cutting the spring and moving the A arms like it would happen on the 1:1 car. 

Wheels are resin. Hubcaps are from the AMT '56 Ford kit. Tires are original Lindberg. 

Also shaved the emblems, hood "jet plane" and the deck lid handle/trim. 

The engine is the original from the kit, with heads and intake from my parts box. The oil filter was "machined" on the dremel. 

Also replaced the stock mufflers with Kadron glasspacks. 

If the car were a 1:1, it wouldn't be one less '53 Ford, as all mods could be reversed back to showroom stock. 

Hope you like it. 

1953 Ford Hot 019 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 003 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 005 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 006 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 007 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 010 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 011 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 013 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 015 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 017 copy.jpg

1953 Ford Hot 018 copy.jpg

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

21 minutes ago, espo said:

Relooking at this I notice the way you removed some of the side chrome. From the side the trim looks like a '52 Ford. 

Yes, that's true. I wanted to remove the side spears, and the rocker moldings, but still have at least one chrome detail. The Lindberg / AMT kit is kind of tough to de chrome. The side trim is all separate parts, and you have the fill their locating spots on the body, as opposed to just sand the trim off. Almost didn't do it. 

23 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Beautiful build as usual. Wish I had your skills.

Thanks!!

13 hours ago, peekay said:

Another beautiful Ford, Tulio. 

One of those rare customs that achieves elegance by subtraction rather than addition.

Thanks!!

I like a nicely done custom, but really dislike the ones that look like a Christmas tree, full of stuff and crazy paint jobs. I always preserve the car's structure stock, so it could in theory be reversed back to a proper '53 Ford.