Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbee!!

mitchy

Hi All

After a few years of rediscovering RC car models (which are all on the shelf as static models one day to be run..) I have returned to scale modelling, a hobby I was deeply involved with as a lad (I now have my own growing lads).

My first recent scale purchase is my old favourite Tamiya 1:24 Morris Cooper S, which is presently being built in dribs and drabs, tweed grey paint curing as we speak... This is my mule, to practice detailing and paint finishes - I now have an airbrush which is a leap forward.

Next up, an eBay cheapo; Tamiya 1:24 Cooper S Monte Carlo, no.177, LBL 6D, of which I must have built 5 or six as a teenager. Quite the obsession.

I have just found a Tamiya 1:18 Lola 1968 T160 TS re-release (of 1995 vintage), and it looks like a chance bid on another one is going to be successful. There's nothing like repetition, eh?

One of these fine Lolas will remain in its (least marked) box for the time being, meanwhile the other shall be ...slowly.... built in Team Surtees' red box art with a ton of added details and realistic finishes, much of which will be experimentation. I shall be trying some rubbing metalizer from C1 Models which looks promising for the bare aluminium chassis, some guitar strings for general hoses and some scratch built engine and suspension parts. Hopefully a few tutorials may spin off from the build.

It looks like a beautiful model, with plenty of options for detailing and refining. There are some lovely and not so lovely builds on the internet, for reference. Tamiya kit number 10004, so its one of their very earliest plastic model kits, AFAIK.

As it happens I was at my model supplier today, buying some polystyrene tubing and other accessories, and I accidently stumbled upon the one car I have not been able to find at a good price anywhere - Tamiya's 1:24 AUSTIN mini Cooper S! I can now make that Italian Job mini I have been planning for thirty years! But that is another story.

I have been browsing some modeller sites, and I like what I see here, so here I am.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...