Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Duesenberg Steampunk Roadster

David G.

I wanted something to bash on that I didn't have to care too much about how it came out in the end, so I grabbed a Duesenberg SJ Roadster from my junk yard and tore into it. 

I have no idea where I'm going to go with this. My only plan is to bring it back from the dead, hence, the "Zombie Roadster".  I don't know if I'm going the direction of a barn-find survivor or an actual Undead Duesy. Of course, I'm open to suggestions.

Here's where I start.

34_Duesy_01.thumb.jpg.254154a8ff25017da662d6e2e573f62a.jpg

Some disassembly required.

34_Duesy_02.thumb.jpg.aa9dc334f8a201cc118e272a88d0d292.jpg

Using wire pins in an attempt to straighten and reassemble the frame.

34_Duesy_03.thumb.jpg.22a3da8ce121a475fb649bd7592c66da.jpg

The frame has a bit of a bow to it. I'm not sure if I'm going to mess with that.

34_Duesy_04.thumb.jpg.f129d26f5a1dfd045321be600958da26.jpg

That's all for now.

Thanks for taking the time to look and as always, please feel free to offer suggestions and comments.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Update

2 hours ago, Howard Cohen said:

I have a friend who bought a 1:1 Duesie this year and it had been hot-rodded with an engine swap before he got it. I asked him if he was going to get an original engine and he said no, he is keeping it as a hot rod. So, it's a model, do something wild :) 

A real 1:1 and some dolt hot rodded it? Hmmm....so you take a $2,000,000 car in stock form, hot rod it (probably replacing the 285 BHP Strait 8 engine with a boring 350 SB) and turn it into a $300,000 car. Very, very smart. NOT. Let's pray to the Gods of authenticity that it was a replica.

Okay...now I feel better. 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:27 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Most excellent. I always enjoy seeing bodged models brought back. Here's hoping whichever way you go is a relatively smooth journey.  :D

Thanks Bill. The way I look at it, whatever I can make from this will be better than what I started with.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Maybe return it to it's former glory. 

Mmmmm... maybe not David, but thanks for the vote of confidence. Of course, I don't think that there was much glory to begin with.

3 hours ago, Howard Cohen said:

I have a friend who bought a 1:1 Duesie this year and it had been hot-rodded with an engine swap before he got it. I asked him if he was going to get an original engine and he said no, he is keeping it as a hot rod. So, it's a model, do something wild :) 

Some kind of wild is the way I'm leaning.

David G.

My first thought is a junk heap, like a diamond in the rough.  I recently got one of those kits, but the Weyman version.  Looks like a cool classic, but not thrilled about the wire wheels, spoiled with photo-etch.  Whatever you do, wishing you a fun build!

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

My first thought is a junk heap, like a diamond in the rough.  I recently got one of those kits, but the Weyman version.  Looks like a cool classic, but not thrilled about the wire wheels, spoiled with photo-etch.  Whatever you do, wishing you a fun build!

Thanks. I agree with you about the wheels Kurt, they are pretty clunky. But yeah, it will definitely be rough. 

5 hours ago, djflyer said:

If you're leaning toward the wild Clearly Scale makes an 'LS' based V12.  I think its 25th scale but should still do the job.

Thanks David, but my plans are for this one to be a parts box build, but I do have a Cummins Diesel, hmmm...

David G.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've been working on this one in fits and starts, but I've decided on a build direction:

Steampunk! 

I have the front wheels sorted and some of the chassis detail started.

34_Duesy_07.thumb.jpg.ce61e2699d427f7c226568fa89973eae.jpg

Next task is to stabilize the frame and work in the drive line. 

And, of course start searching for all types of cool Steampunk artifacts to incorporate.

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

19 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

Well I'm dang sure in for the ride!!   Very cool David!

David S.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:23 AM, jaxenro said:

The ultimate steampunk car will be watching this

17 minutes ago, carmad1957 said:

That's awesome! Gonna follow it along for sure~ The detail on the chassis is really nice- very smooooth

Thanks guys, I'll try not to disappoint you. ;)

David G.

OK, a little bit of an update:

I got the frame stabilized and the suspension bits mostly sorted.  The engine suffered a painting mishap so I decided too strip it and start over.

34_Duesy_08.thumb.jpg.30cd13f7019e693cd8accc36455dea30.jpg

Now on to the body work and other details.

34_Duesy_09.thumb.jpg.a1bc5b764c0b3ac6c8998896c9695d77.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

I scrapped the factory exhaust system in order to create something a little more "Steampunk". This meant that I had to realign those characteristic Duesenberg external header pipes in three dimensions with engine block as the only firm attachment point. Simultaneously, I was also creating the attachment point for each of the four header pipes with the collector, as well as keeping the collector in a workable relationship with the chassis, *and* making sure that the header pipes would properly pass through the ports in the fender.

34_Duesy_10.thumb.jpg.03cf429b64144205687b96bc834efd0f.jpg

Mission accomplished! I also got some proper looking paint on the engine.

34_Duesy_11.thumb.jpg.8026ec6b4de8eef2612b73a893b7502c.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to share any comments.

David G.