Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC Please Put Out Significant Kits

regular guy

21 minutes ago, dbostream said:

I am fine with R2 reissuing old kits but sure it would be nice with at least one new tool each year. I wonder if we will ever see the MPC Toyota 2000 GT again it is really expensive on Ebay.

This is one of the few truly collectible kits I own-   I was amazed to find it and didn’t even know it existed. As such, I’ve always considered it ripe for “remastering” when the technology existed, much like the few JoHan originals I’ve been able to acquire. 

1 hour ago, regular guy said:

But yeah. Round2 should put out more Wow! kits and less dreck.

What you call "dreck" is what other people may call their Holy Grails. Just because it's not exactly what YOU want, in the exact format YOU want it in doesn't mean that it's worthless to the hobby.

" What you call "dreck" is what other people may call their Holy Grails. "

Putting excitement in car kits means RACING!

Racing goes back to horse racing.

The car replaced the horse.

So we have drag racing and track racing.

That's what kind of kits they should put out.

Stock and customs are okay. Race cars are the big boys.

1 hour ago, regular guy said:

Well, that's your opinion.

That and a buck 95 will get you a medium doubledouble at the closest Tims.

6 hours ago, regular guy said:

I agree with Can-Con.

This is purely your opinion.

I have zero interest in racing subjects & I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one.

Almost any stock kit can be modified relatively easily into a race car.

Few race kits can be easily modified into a stock version.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Some "Dreck" I would love to see reissued :

- MPC Supra / Celica (c.1985)

- MPC Chevette 

- MPC Monza (preferably in 1978 livery)

- MPC 1978 Chevy C10 two-wheel-drive 

- MPC 1978 Vega (with the Pro Stock parts included)

- MPC Econoline Van (both the 1/25 scale and 1/20 scale ; the latter with all stock parts included)

That list leaves me cold.

To be positive about the whole thing I'll say this.

AMT has a well rounded catalog. MPC is more racing oriented.

Sure. Like that list. SOMEBODY out there will buy those.

Round 2 is a business. So that's the way they keep the doors open.

It is pointless to say what Round 2 should make on a forum. It will have almost no effect on what they make.

I like the 1/16 Petty Charger. I'll says that.

I reserve the right to say something is a waste of plastic. Probably never will but I'll protect my right to say it.

If somebody starts hopping up and down about it. Oh well!

This is a topic that could go on forever, in my opinion Round2 is doing alright, they are mixing in the reissues with all new tooling. The thing is that the all new tools they are developing at this point are SciFi, which obviously is what is selling well for them ! They are releasing a series of kits for the auto diorama builders so it’s not all in one pot, and I must say that they are trying. Most importantly they are putting out a lot of long gone kits that are otherwise very pricey on the internet sites and are remaining viable! The market for plastic models continues to shrink so I am content to see what they are releasing next ! Would I love to see new car and truck tools , you bet but I am realistic to know that they will be few and far between . Probably will see a few of the few new muscle cars, writing or emailing does work they do listen EG : AMT Kenworth W925 back .... that’s my two bits!

" they are mixing in the reissues with all new tooling."

That's true.

All the ones I'm interested in are reissues. Never looked at it that way.

" putting out a lot of long gone kits that are otherwise very pricey on the internet sites "

That is cool when they do that.

So there are reissues and "long lost reissues". I do warn them against getting to obscure with that though.

I think it is prioritizing "long lost reissues".

I would rather have some of the funny cars than dune buggies and Corvairs. High horsepower not low horsepower first.

But have to consider other people's interests. I suppose.

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

Since you are not running any kit manufacturing company (or are even employed by one), you don't have to consider anything or anybody.  You opinion doesn't matter either way.  You can flap your jaws (or your typing fingers) here all you want, and you will not be accomplishing anything.  If you want to even try to make a difference and have some of your exciting racing car models released, contact the model companies and let them know what you want.

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree with Can-Con.

This is purely your opinion.

I have zero interest in racing subjects & I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one.

Almost any stock kit can be modified relatively easily into a race car.

Few race kits can be easily modified into a stock version.

Steve

I'm with Steve

7 hours ago, regular guy said:

That list leaves me cold.

Your wants leave me cold, but there is plenty of room for subjects I don't like.

4 hours ago, regular guy said:

"

Seriously?

Me...I appreciate the ones AMT has reissued for us but wish they could/would reissue these for us....been after them for way too long and cant afford the old originals....and we once had these in our family in 1 to 1 scale once...

MPC 71-75 Dodge vans

MPC 71 Dodge Demon

MPC 68,69,70 Bonneville HTs

MPC 69,71,72,73 Impalas

AMT 71 Pontiac Ventura/Sprint

MPC 69,70,71,72 Pontiac Grand Prixs

MPC factory stock 70/71 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler or GT

AMT 66 Buick Skylark

MPC 65,66 Dodge Monacos

and others.  Being a mostly factory stock builder its easy to see why Id want these plus my family had owned real ones of them once id like to make replicas of them with.

Well I like to build Factory stock, But who cares? If a kit interest me I'll buy it, Hot rod's such as the bucket T's -32 Ford hot rod roadster don't tickle my fancy, But then neither do the custom only kit's. I do like to have a Stock option be it 2 n' 1 Or a 3 n' 1 kit... I build the car model as it came off the assembly line,  While others would go Low rider, Custom, Hot rod, Weathered, Ect. The SIMPLE fact is If there is a kit that we don't like we have the choice not to BUY IT!

As a shop owner, I can say for certain that, among domestic kit manufacturers, factory stock kits outsell race car kits by a factor of nearly 3 to 1. 

Now, if I factor in my imported kits, then there's a more even balance as I sell a fair number of Tamiya, Fujimi, Hasegawa, and Ebbro kits. Does this mean that the domestic kit manufacturers should start producing vintage Formula One and Sports Car Racing kits? 

" start producing vintage Formula One and Sports Car Racing kits? "

You hit the nail on the head!

Just realized why I am dissatisfied with most of what gets put out.

A lot of experience with cars!

Then I have too much life experience to pay too much for an old rare kit.

Real world parts and supplies win out over paying money for a model kit with me.

So here we sit!

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Pyro did some '30s vintage Chryslers and Plymouths, but they wee in 1/32 scale.   I imagine trying to make a 1/25 kit out of them would be a major undertaking.

I certainly wouldn't object if Round2 were to bring back MPC's beautiful but finicky '32 Imperial.

Some of those 1/32 scale kits even have engines.  At least the 1987 issue of the Lindberg '32 Plymouth roadster does (kit #2143).  I'm guessing that was a PYRO re-pop, like the rest of Lindberg's 1/32 car kits.  

I just checked the PYRO '32 Plymouth 4-door sedan in my stash and it does not have an engine.  That's one of the oddball PYRO "Table Top Series" kits I really wish Lindberg would re-issue, if possible.  We can't have enough 4-door sedans, of any vintage.

" I'm guessing that was a PYRO re-pop, like the rest of Lindberg's 1/32 car kits.   "

I figured out to look at the original boxart to get fired up about the Lindberg kits.

I'll post the old Lindberg 32 Roadster boxart.

The 1/32 kits have some good subject matter in there.

It's the subject matter with Lindberg. You can't be a nut about the actual kit.

Edited by regular guy

Holy moly this topic is something special to wade through, not gonna lie. My 2 cents, I genuinely hope one day sooner rather than later our hobby gets revamped, retooled and reinvigorated via the fast encroaching new affordable means to manhandle plastic into the shapes we like 'em to be. 'til then the billioneth re-release of X will have to do along with the occasional new tool kit from the American kit manufacturers. I'm knee deep in 3D printing and CAD myself and got high hopes for what that'll bring us when it becomes even more commercial than it already is, and all the stuff Ace Garage Guy posted honestly is nothing short of truly fascinating, amazing stuff.

But seriously though, buddy, these kinds of topics... I cant tell you to stop but man, its like you enjoy getting your soap box kicked out from underneath you every single time, this is what, the 7th in like 6 months?

Edited by echoxrayniner
Spelling is hard