Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paasche Airbrush suggestions

I am looking to get a new airbrush. I have it narrowed down to the following models. Paasche VL, TS and TG. My budget is less than $100. I have tried the Master made in China stuff and it is pure POO. So I am looking to spend a little more, but need it to stay under $100. What would you suggest.

image.png.f41295d3ccbfc59d94b941047989063d.png

I have a VL and like it a lot. The double action is nice for some effects. But it has an adjustment for both the minimum and maximum amount of paint. That flattens the double action learning curve a lot. Getting the set makes a lot of sense and it gives you all the accessories you’re likely to needs for a while. 

I have had a VL for 30 years, and it has worked a lot in those 30 years, and only replaced 1 o'ring and a tip in all that time.

It has auto acrylic running through it that whole time, and soaks in auto thinners when not in use,

so the internals are very hardy with solvents.

What do you plan to paint with the airbrush?

If you are primarily going to use it for cars, the H will be a good choice.  Do you also ever build Aircraft, tanks, figures, or anything which would require fine lines? If so, then there are other airbrushes to consider.

If you are willing to try used, there are almost always used  H and VL airbrushes  on ebay pretty cheap. 

The main use for it is car and truck painting. I do not need super fine details, but I do like the double action. I have a cheap china DA and I loved it for the few months that it worked. I almost always use Acrylics and so it is cleaned with mild soap and water.

I have 2 others, both single action and I am just not as fond of them.

If I go single action, then I am limited to what it can do, however if I go with a good Double action then I can expand my skills and maybe add more details to my work.

The TG looks great and I know I would use it, but I think the VL or TS are closer to the budget I want to spend. I really like the large gravity feed cup of the TG and the fan tip for large jobs, yet the fine tips for details.

Yet another vote for Paasche H, which will do anything you need to do in Model Car World except super-trick '60s or lowriders type paint jobs (and some very advanced weathering). 

I've owned a Paasche H for a few months now but have never used it--but I have used its marketplace/functional twin, the Badger 350, for over 30 years of model car work with complete satisfaction. 

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

The TG looks great and I know I would use it, but I think the VL or TS are closer to the budget I want to spend. I really like the large gravity feed cup of the TG and the fan tip for large jobs, yet the fine tips for details.

I have a Talon TG but  I have not used it very much. I like the large size of the nozzles and aircaps. Even if you drop the parts on the floor, they are easy to find.  The thing which seems different about the Talon than other airbrushes I have used is the taper of the needle; you need to pull the trigger back pretty far before the paint starts to flow. 

If you are an Amazon prime member there is an offer up now for the TG where you hit subscribe and save and get 40% off with the coupon that generates. The regular price at Amazon is$98 for the 3 needle set plus fan air cap at Amazon to begin with  so that is a substantial deal ( $58 with free shipping). The TS has the fan cap as well fwiw but is not listed in this program. I think that set is $89..

The Badger Patriot 105 is on this deal as well, though you weren't asking about Badger airbrushes. With the 40% off I guess that brush would be around $40.

All that said , I use a Paasche H with #3 head set mostly. Also a Badger 200 that is 40 years old, both are single action. I use either one with the color cup or with jars of mixed paint depending on the volume of paint I need to run. Incidentally, I can paint the mesh of a 1/25th scale chrome grill with the Badger 200 and fine needle/ nozzle without masking, so double action not really required though I guess it would be good to clear the head if starting to get tip dry. I don't know if the TG would be as comfortable getting into small details like that quite honestly.

Edited by Dave G.

31 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Well, I do also have the Badger 200 (old style). and a Badger 350. Maybe I should get a hose that fits my compressor and a couple of sets of tip and nozzles for that. I guess the 200 would work for now and do what I need to do.

I upgraded my 200 last year, I used the old hose and got a Badger to 1/4" adapter and put a standard 1/4 coupler end on that to fit my portable shop compressor ( never a fear of low air supply lol). and I bought the upgraded medium and large nozzle sets with appropriate needles. My fine nozzle set I kept original because it's always worked ok. I wanted to try the new pedal style nozzle sets, Glad I did.   It's still not double action though, you have to manually dial flow down and up. and with the cost of all the upgrades you can buy a new Patriot 105 by the time all is said and done. 

By the way I use a color cup on my 200 fairly often, especially with the fine needle combo. I use one on the H too but more so on the 200 because the 200 is my detail gun.

I just wanted to rejuvenate my old 200 is all. It works great. So does the Paasche H.  I bet the Badger 350 does too.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Well, I do also have the Badger 200 (old style). and a Badger 350. Maybe I should get a hose that fits my compressor and a couple of sets of tip and nozzles for that. I guess the 200 would work for now and do what I need to do.

You are well equipped. Maybe you can get some fresh needles  for your Badger airbrushes.  To use your current hose, you just need adapters you screw on to the airbrush.  Or you can get a Quick Disconnect setup.

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/t/air-source-accessories

If you still want a Double action gravity feed, check out the Patriot 105

The Patriot 105 is also on 40% coupon at Amazon prime and smile as well, can be had for about $40 on the subscribe and save program.I believe the medium needle is standard in it but you can buy other tips and needles if a need is found. It has a smaller color cup than the TG.

All Badgers use the same hose, Paasche has a different thread but adapters can be gotten either way..

20 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I've been thinking on what you have written here. You seem to want a detail gun. Then outfit your 200 with a fine tip and needle if you don't have them and have a good detail gun. I use the medium on my 200 to do acrylic colors on interior parts and sprue tree parts overall but the 350 or an H can do that just as well.. I go with a color cup and fine needle on the 200, mix the paint into almost a wash, then turn the flow of both paint and air way down ( you almost can't see the paint coming out till the tip is almost on the part) to paint inside the grills.. On the outer rim of the grill I put a light coat of glycerin and just rub it off after if any over spray hit it. The body and large surface parts like the hood or trunk parts I use the H but you could use the 350 just as well I bet.

I think a fine tip and needle combo at Amazon is around $12- $15, no more than $20 if you have to buy them separately.. Probably US Airbrush Supply is similarly priced for these parts. You want the needle and nozzle for the Badger 100, 150 and 200. Don't confuse the 200NH in there because it's needles will also fit the 105 and 155 and this is a different system from your older style 200 that you said you had..

Edited by Dave G.