Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cruisin' Wagon - Ford's Street-'tude Pinto, done!

Faust

­­­ bring your sunglasses!s ever repopped, or at least not for a while. Check out this little forgotten bird at the link below, anWell, after a lot more work than I thought it would be, the Pinto Crusing Wagon is now done! Just like the real car, this one was lot of headaches interspersed with some chagrins. Thing is, it’s an old MPC, and I was expecting some trouble. Not as much as I got, but I sure didn’t expect a “Clean Getaway”, so to speak!

I’m really very glad to have a stock representation of one of what might be the lamer attempts to add performance through striping. I am now excited to get my hands on the ’77 Cruising Van that Round 2 just put out, so I can have two examples of Ford’s attempts to conjure up tapestripe horsepower!

Check out this little beast at the link below, and be warned: you’re likely not going to see this kit built often simply because there’s so much wrong with it. However, in the end, it is all worth it, because it’s a Pinto Cruising Wagon, and how much lamer does it get than that?

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/cars/round-2mpc-1-25-1979-pinto-cruising-wagon/

pinto-162.jpg?w=332

Thanks guys! 

As for the tires, Round 2 deserves at least 2/3 the credit. If there are two reasons to buy a Round 2 over the original, it's the new (always better or at least more accurate, it seems) decal sheets and those oh-so-great pad printed tires. Kudos to them for including such beauteous rubber, even with such a roach of a kit! 

I will admit, I do like how it looks. I'm not surprised it isn't build more, because it's a bear, but it does look neat all finished up. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Faust said:

Thanks guys!

Like most MPCs, it was a pain in the patoot, but seriously... where else can you get that much '70s pretentiousness in one place?

Gotcha Adam!  I am suffering through a pair of ancient MPC Jeepsters right now. I’m practically scratch building the bed to get a decent pickup outta one!

Can't say you're wrong, Tom... :)

The sad part is, nowadays, if I saw one, I'd think it was aweseome, just because seeing a survivor is neat, and they're so different from what's out there now. They're also so small and frail looking.

Why have small cars gotten so big and fat?