Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gulf Gas Service Truck Cannonball Run entry

65 Chevy Stepside... It was built to compete in this year's Cannonball Run Community Challange. It has a 6cyl  from the 60 Chevy Amt kit and wheels from the Revell 57 Chevy Sedan. 

The idea for the truck is as if it were pulled from behind an abandoned Gulf station and Resurrected with all the new parts nessasary to make it reliable and cool. New Drivetrain, bumpers, grill, wheels and tires... 

Keeping with tradition on the Cannonball theme, I scratchbuilt a fuel tank that I feel is much needed in a point A to point B race like this. I'm not sure how many gallons this tank would hold but I'd say alot... which is why I slightly lowered it more in the rear to give the illusion that the tank is full. 

Thanks for looking sorry for all the pics but I kinda like how it turned out. lol!

20181106_132317.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-170904.png

Screenshot_20181107-171317.png

Screenshot_20181107-171352.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-171003.png

20181106_132150.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-171449.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-171206.jpg

20181106_123323.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-171115.png

20181107_175545.png

Hey, Thank you to everyone for the Nice comments... I started on this kit back in April and I didn't put alot of stress on myself to get it finished by Dec 1. I put a lot of thought into it though, I hope it shows... It was a fun build at my leisure which I usually don't build in that style. I always say I do my best work under pressure. lol! Thanks agian guys, 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love it, weathered just enough to look accurate without being overdone! The updated driveline and detailed underside is perfect. Not sure how you got that picture of it sitting in front of what looks like a real Gulf station, but that just adds to the realism! Great job overall, envious of your weathering skills.

Thanks guys!

On 12/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, mikemodeler said:

Not sure how you got that picture of it sitting in front of what looks like a real Gulf station, but that just adds to the realism!

Thanks for the Interest and support. I just found an image of a real gulf station, resized it to fit in the background and positioned it behind the truck. Then I edited the picture by trimming the edges and antiqued the tones to give it an old timey look.

It was the Reveil Surprise that I had planned for in the beginning. I tried finding an image of an abandoned station but the ones I found were so far gone that you couldn't tell it was ever a Gulf station, So I chose one that still is in business since the 50's.

Screenshot_20180924-101527.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...