Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real "Period Correct" Speed Racer Mach V

Art Laski

This model was intended to be a quick build to participate in the Theme class at the Spirit of Speed Model Contest held at the NHRA Museum last Sunday, November 4th. I have a hard time building for contest themes because I am usually heavily involved in some long term build, and just don't usually have time to build for them. But in this case, I had some time, and had a kit and an idea I had kicked around for a while, "What would Speed Racer's Mach V look like if it were a real race car and not a cartoon?". Well, I thought I would find out! I decided to make it period correct with details on the race cars around the mod to late sixties, also when the series was first running. Details and styling cues were borrowed from the GT 40, of course, as well as the Lola T70 and 427 Cobras.

I started with the Polar Lights 1/25 scale kit (which actually looks a little smaller), and had some HRM GT-40 wheels and tires I got from my friend Randy Ditton at Mode Builder's Warehouse (www.modelbuilderswh.com). I had to open up the rear wheel wells and add flares to fit the tires, but the fronts fit right in. I also decided to flip the headlights over, since no real race cars had them on the underside at the time. 

I thought about making it rear-engined, but the proprtions were off to be able to do that, so I scribed a hood, added a hood scoop, and side pipes to represent the engine being up front.

I added a roll bar and re-did the interior, and added Pro Tech accessories for the windshield nuts and spoiler bolts, hood pins, and fuel cap (available at scaleproshop.com). 

See the WIP HERE

Hope you like it, and thanks for looking!

1541657320877-vi.jpg
1541657318091-vi.jpg
1541657314302-vi.jpg
1541657323547-vi.jpg
1541657332246-vi.jpg
1541657336349-vi.jpg
1541657339418-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

You took an otherwise uninteresting kit and really made something great out of it. The way you finished the body and decals make it outstanding. For myself it's the way you did the interior and all of the fine detailing that really make this such a standout. 

Looks cool to the extreme. 

I'm not a fan of the headlights on top, as the original position is kind of a trademark of the car, like the M on the hood, and the overall design, but I understand why you changed it, and I would end doing the same thing. 

The execution os top notch. Paint, finish, all are great, and the car looks very believable, and not just a fictional piece.

This is pretty freakin' COOL!!! I wasn't sure I'd like it at first (not that my opinion matters) but you completely made me a fan of this build!! I'm going to start on one of my full-detail Aoshima Mach V kits pretty soon as a result of this beauty! Thanks for sharing the build!