Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stock? Almost!!

Lovefordgalaxie

Built this one a while back. I had left the grille all chrome, and the headlight bezels also in chrome. 

The other day I decided to give those parts the "stock" treatment, and paint them body color, even tough the body color was not available by the book on a '40 Ford V8 (non Deluxe). 

Guess I ended with a sleeper. 

1953 Ford Hot 030.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 031.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 032.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 033.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 034.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 035.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 036.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 037.JPG

1953 Ford Hot 038.JPG

When it comes to '40 Coupes I'd definitely take a Standard over a Deluxe. This is absolutely beautiful! 

I'm pretty sure that even though Maroon wasn't available on Standard models the dealers would let you special order a Deluxe color if you insisted or had a business that required a specific color.

Thanks guys!!

10 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

When it comes to '40 Coupes I'd definitely take a Standard over a Deluxe. This is absolutely beautiful! 

I'm pretty sure that even though Maroon wasn't available on Standard models the dealers would let you special order a Deluxe color if you insisted or had a business that required a specific color.

i'm with you on the V8 being nicer looking than the Deluxe V8. 

Ford, at least here, was notorious for being flexible on paint colors. 

Guy I know has a '49 Coupe that came from the factory painted Miami Cream, a convertible only color. The color code reads E for special order. 

Last car I built is a '53 Sunliner painted in Majestic Maroon, a Lincoln color. 

You just had to have the patience to order the car, pay the fee, and to wait the delivery. 

10 hours ago, Deuces said:

Looks like a 2-speed Columbia rear axle on that model.... I always wondered how the real ones worked..... ??

Yes, all Revell '40 Ford kits come with the Columbia. 

Working was simple. There was a vacuum operated solenoid, that would engage a secondary set of gears (planetary gear set) that would add ratio to the original Ford ring and pinion relation. 

It was basically a overdrive, and that's why it faded when Ford started offering their own overdrive. 

download (3).jpg