Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Fair 2018

BVC500

I've heard a bunch of speculation, including a LaFerrari Aperta.  But nothing from anybody with a good pulse on what's happening.  Will be interesting.  I like Rob's idea of an LC 500, but Tamiya doing an 812 Superfast would be REALLY something, but highly unlikely.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

My speculation is the new Supra, which is finally being debuted for actual real they say at the LA auto show. I'll believe it when I see it. There's been a "missing"/skipped over product number in the 1/24th lineup for awhile now, while Toyota has dragged their feet endlessly on debut of the (fugly) Supra.

Some speculation elsewhere on Toyota TS-050 as well.

I'd be pleased with LaFerrari Aperta & FXX-K Evo modified reissues.

LC 500 would be fun...

LaFerrari Aperta would make sense.

I'd like to see Tamiya's take on the Porsche 918 Spyder.

Would also be great to see them do another SUV or truck. Years ago, they did the Jeep Wranglers, Grand Cherokee. They did a Mitsubishi Monterro and the Toyota Land Crusier. Would be cool to see a new kit in a similar vein.

I doubt anything really cool like a Koenigegg will be done.  If they do the Supra, which the show car looks really nice, that should appeal to the ricer crowd.  Since they did the 300SL, doing the Ferrari Lusso would be a hit.  Just giving my two cents.

I'm hoping not another Ferrari. I'd like to see them branch out to other subjects.

I think the Supra is likely but am hoping for the TS-050. With Toyota's Le Mans win this year and the first for a Japanese manufacturer since the Mazda in '91 the TS-050 makes a lot of sense. And they've already done it for their mini-z series so they have the licencing. 

toyotats050hybrid1366x768-vi.jpg

Edited by Jhedir6

I'd be surprised to see anything come out of their little Open House they do, historically they haven't announced anything new, and it's just been a featuring of their fall releases. The Heritage Z should be getting released just prior to the "Fair", so I would expect all the 1/24 attention to be focused on that "new" kit.

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Would also be great to see them do another SUV or truck. Years ago, they did the Jeep Wranglers, Grand Cherokee. They did a Mitsubishi Monterro and the Toyota Land Crusier. Would be cool to see a new kit in a similar vein.

With Meng covering the American market for trucks, I agree that Tamiya should come out with more rest-of-world truck and SUV kits.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'd be surprised to see anything come out of their little Open House they do, historically they haven't announced anything new, and it's just been a featuring of their fall releases. The Heritage Z should be getting released just prior to the "Fair", so I would expect all the 1/24 attention to be focused on that "new" kit.

Well on Tamiya USA's FB page they clearly state a "all new 1/24 scale kit announcement" so assuming they dont mean the 370 a new tooled kit would be welcome. But you might be completely right too. Guess we'll see next week.

4 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I'm hoping not another Ferrari. I'd like to see them branch out to other subjects.

I think the Supra is likely but am hoping for the TS-050. With Toyota's Le Mans win this year and the first for a Japanese manufacturer since the Mazda in '91 the TS-050 makes a lot of sense. And they've already done it for their mini-z series so they have the licencing. 

toyotats050hybrid1366x768-vi.jpg

X2 on that one. I would be happy even it is a curbside.

There isn't a current Toyota or Lexus that looks good enough to build, in my opinion. If they were to do an old FJ40, that I could see buying. Overall I would like to see some SUVs, pickups or older Japanese or European sedans and coupes. Maybe do a Magnus Walker Porsche tie-in, that would be cool!

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

LaFerrari Aperta would make sense.

I'd like to see Tamiya's take on the Porsche 918 Spyder.

I second that. I’ve always wanted them to make a 2005 Montero or 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2.

Even a newer Toyota Tacoma or 4 Runner with gear options would be awesome.

8 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

My speculation is the new Supra, which is finally being debuted for actual real they say at the LA auto show. I'll believe it when I see it. There's been a "missing"/skipped over product number in the 1/24th lineup for awhile now, while Toyota has dragged their feet endlessly on debut of the (fugly) Supra.

LC 500 would be fun...

I reckon you might be onto something. 

Ben

They'e already done a Vanquish, but more Aston's would be good.

Hasegawa is doing Paganis, so why not a Koenigsegg?

For my personal wish list, I could certainly go for a Lusso, and some '70s vintage Maseratis like the Ghibli would be very nice

1920px-Maserati_Ghibli_green.jpg

As for more modern cars,  two recent concept cars I thought were really nice, First The Peugeot Onyx

612901.jpg

And if we're going to have Ferraris, how about the Monza SP2?

ferrari-5.jpg

If Tamiya wants to do some local stuff,  How about this Mazda Vision Coupe?

Mazda-vision-coupe.jpg

12 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

LC 500 would be fun...

You're probably right, Bob, about the Supra given the circumstantial evidence, which is probably a good thing for me - i.e., one less kit to stash in the closet to be maybe built in 30 years.

I'd love the Ferrari Monza SP2.

I'd probably buy an Aperta, though I don't think they'll do that. It would be a fairly easy transkit, which I suggested to Plamoz, who has been very quiet since March about new products :(

Edited by BVC500

17 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Well on Tamiya USA's FB page they clearly state a "all new 1/24 scale kit announcement" so assuming they dont mean the 370 a new tooled kit would be welcome. But you might be completely right too. Guess we'll see next week.

A touche, I admit I didn't really pay attention to that post since they normally don't do anything at this event. Well if it's really ALL NEW, I'm tossing my guess in as the TS050 Le Mans/WEC car, they already have both Toyota and Gazoo Racing licensing. The latter is supposedly impossible to work with, but Tamiya already managed to with both the Mini4WD TS050, as well as the 1/24 Toyota 86 Rally car that Mr. Toyoda infamously drove. 

Edited by niteowl7710

On 11/9/2018 at 3:59 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Years ago I remember hearing that the American SUV's Tamiya made were suggestions made by their German distributor,  which makes sense since the Wrangler, for instance, is Euro spec.

Edited by Luc Janssens