Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Fair 2018

BVC500

I've read that the Supra will debut at the Detroit Auto Show, not LA Auto Show, so I don't think Tamiya will front run Toyota with a Supra announcement at this time. Surely, it'll be produced in the future. It could be the TS-050 car, since Tamiya does that in RC form, but not a guarantee since not all RC cars become static kits. Guess we'll just have to wait to see in 3 more days!

Edited by BVC500

I don't object to the oddity of it all, bit why on earth would Tamiya kit an obscure German economy car? I mean given the Trabant and whatnot, that seems to be more a Revell project.

Considering how few new automotive kits Tamiya actually does anymore, they have to stick to subjects that are either important in Japan, or have instant recognition world wide. Not something that people outside of the EU have to look up on Google.

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I don't object to the oddity of it all, bit why on earth would Tamiya kit an obscure German economy car? I mean given the Trabant and whatnot, that seems to be more a Revell project.

Considering how few new automotive kits Tamiya actually does anymore, they have to stick to subjects that are either important in Japan, or have instant recognition world wide. Not something that people outside of the EU have to look up on Google.

Not sure if the poster who hinted at the NSU TT was being sarcastic or not, but that is indeed a very obscure and random car. I think something that will cater to their Japanese base is more likely, like the TS050 or Supra, or even a new Ferrari kit.

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Couldn't agree more.

6 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Europe's a big market, and what's a weird foreign car here could be a big deal over there.

Ehhh I won't debate the size of the European market - although it doesn't seem to be able to keep Heller solvent for more than a year at a time, regardless the car in question only had 63k copies made over an 8 year time period, so even in Germany it can't have been THAT popular a car.

4 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Ehhh I won't debate the size of the European market - although it doesn't seem to be able to keep Heller solvent for more than a year at a time, regardless the car in question only had 63k copies made over an 8 year time period, so even in Germany it can't have been THAT popular a car.

Sort of like how nobody could possibly want a Dodge Charger Daytona,  seeing how they only made about 500.

Tamiya seems to have done very well selling racing cars of all sorts, even small ones that aren't very well known here.

6 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Sort of like how nobody could possibly want a Dodge Charger Daytona,  seeing how they only made about 500.

Tamiya seems to have done very well selling racing cars of all sorts, even small ones that aren't very well known here.

The Charger Daytona is also a car based on another car, that was specifically designed to be a race car. Which was basically so successful it was banned.

Not a 1000CC 4 door economy car that they stuck a 1200CC engine into, made 2,400 of, to field to middling success in hillclimb racing (cause ya know there's so many of those kits floating around).

If Revell announced it at Midnight on New Years Day, I'll be first in line to buy one because it'll look great next to a pile of Trabants. 

However it's bordering on patently ridiculous that Tamiya would kit one on a whim over a mound of more obvious, more Tamiya choices. 

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Like a Fiat 131 rally car?  Considering the other little Europeanb racing cars they've done, it seems like a pretty Tamiya choice to me.

In any case, the good folks at Tamiya have been at this for a while, and I'm sure they have a better idea than you or I what their market wants.

You're right we should totally base a 2018 decision based on a 1/20 kit from 1978.

My late best friend won many road racing championships racing a NSU 1000TT. I co-drove in endurance races. They shared their engines with the Mammoth motor cycle. I'd buy one. Been looking for one for years.  The NSU Spider was the first Western production car in the world to be powered by a Wankel rotary engine. I also raced one of those, once.

Edited by wisdonm

4 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Welp, unapologetic Yank that I am, I had to google the NSU.  What a funky, stunted love child of a Corvair and a BMW 1600 that thing is!

Tamiya does it, I'll be shaking my head (and slapping one in my private warehouse host paste).

Same thing I was thinking! Another car that comes to mind when I think of a "German Corvair" is the VW Karmann Ghia Type 34. That thing has Corvair written all over it!