Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Fair 2018

BVC500

27 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Maybe they would consider tooling a current generation Mustang GT.   No longer just a domestic market product, the 1/1 has been the best selling sports car in the world for the last three years.   Separate, fully detailed engine a must, of course.   On the other hand, I shouldn't get carried away on new kit speculation, right?.    

TIM  

Maybe Revell global will do this one....cuz yes they're fairly common in my neck of the woods too....and Revell Germany almost always have a Mustang in their product catalog.

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

As long as it has a full, stand alone, detailed engine, I'll be first in line.   Count me among those surprised, but very pleased, to see this.   TIM   

I dont think there's a full engine, sorry Tim. To me in the pics I can see the top of the block (intake) and the plenum that sits on top of that. With the cover that goes in the back most of the engine is invisible anyways. Like the new NSX which has a full engine, once built, you can only see the top, and to me that is what it looks like they did with the Ford. Remember the Nissan GT-R35 and the Aston Martin DBS. 

018553654_973386825047474176_n-vi.jpg

As for an LM version, I'm sure SOMEONE is going to produce a detail up set for the Revell kit and you'd be able to use most of that to convert the Tamiya kit into an LM. Or, just kit bash a Revell kit in with the Tamiya. 

As much as I like the GT, and I'll buy a bunch of them, I would have still rather have seen Tamiya do the Toyota TS050 Le Mans car. To me that would have been a sure thing with it being the first Japanese car to win since the Mazda in 1991 (oh which they kitted.)

Edited by Jhedir6

For anyone keeping track at home this is Tamiya 24346 - aka the "Missing Number" kit. So that mystery is solved.

I don't begrudge the choice, but with both the TS050 and Mazda 1:1s on display, a cynical part of me thinks they could have gotten at least as much mileage out of doing a TS050 and then reissue the Mazda so you could have both Japanese Le Mans winners on the shelves at the same time. Studio27 did a C/F sheet for the Mazda this spring, so support still exists for a kit that hasn't seen the light of day in over a decade. Plus Tamiya would probably move a few additional 050s for people who wanted to do other WEC races outside of the 24hrs.

Edited by niteowl7710

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

As long as it has a full, stand alone, detailed engine, I'll be first in line.   Count me among those surprised, but very pleased, to see this.   TIM   

It looks like its going to more top half engine detail only ,  just enough so you can see something thru the engine cover glass.

9 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

C'mon Chuck, how about a rant over it being 1/24th and not 1/25th scale and not a $5 gold box Walmart special...:D

This has got to be tough for them, its a "murican" subject, being made by one of those evil furrin companies, but its in 1/24th scale too:lol:

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I dont think there's a full engine, sorry Tim. To me in the pics I can see the top of the block (intake) and the plenum that sits on top of that. With the cover that goes in the back most of the engine is invisible anyways. Like the new NSX which has a full engine, once built, you can only see the top, and to me that is what it looks like they did with the Ford. Remember the Nissan GT-R35 and the Aston Martin DBS. 

And the Boxer twins( Toyota 86/Scubby BRZ)  they have just the top half that was molded to the inner wheel wells, much like the Aston if recall.

Just looking at some of the parts trees now and I can only see what looks like 3 engine pieces.

I also see the halo's for the seats in white so will be easier to paint the interior. Dash looks like 3 pieces as well so another plus.

I also see two rear wings so up and down positions, big check, and I can see the supports as well. 

No tires in the photo, maybe didnt get enough from the factory for the display, they have some on the build ups tho, but I doubt they have the Michlen badges on them.

Overall I think it looks like a good kit, and the end of January being of February isnt that far off.

Edited by Jhedir6

Personally I'm surprised and delighted for this kit, even more so because it's Tamiya doing it. Totally out of left field, hope they do a new Mustang! If anyone is bothered because it doesn't have full engine detail,  the new Revell LeMans version has a full engine/transmission. Kitbash away. Just saw the built engine/transmission by Sasha Muller on Facebook. Dave Thibodeau raved about how good the Revell kit is when he built a test shot last summer.

Every Tamiya kit that I've built that has only visible top end detail looks complete to my eyes. I can't seem to get my 1/24th scale IPMS-grade mirrored lightscope down under the cylinder heads to find the freeze plug and pesky coolant leak...:lol:

$54 MSRP is about $40 less than their similar Ferrari kits that have full engine detail.

This GT should be popular enough the aftermarket can respond to any serious critics & super-detailers. I hope there's an accessory p/e set like Tamiya & others offer for most new-tool kits like this.

I can't wait to get both GT kits on my bench. A couple of my built Revell GT snap kits and my extra Welly GT diecast are going to be re-homed during the holidays in anticipation.

40 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Personally I'm surprised and delighted for this kit, even more so because it's Tamiya doing it. Totally out of left field, hope they do a new Mustang! If anyone is bothered because it doesn't have full engine detail,  the new Revell LeMans version has a full engine/transmission. Kitbash away. Just saw the built engine/transmission by Sasha Muller on Facebook. Dave Thibodeau raved about how good the Revell kit is when he built a test shot last summer.

Every Tamiya kit that I've built that has only visible top end detail looks complete to my eyes. I can't seem to get my 1/24th scale IPMS-grade mirrored lightscope down under the cylinder heads to find the freeze plug and pesky coolant leak...:lol:

$54 MSRP is about $40 less than their similar Ferrari kits that have full engine detail.

This GT should be popular enough the aftermarket can respond to any serious critics & super-detailers. I hope there's an accessory p/e set like Tamiya & others offer for most new-tool kits like this.

I can't wait to get both GT kits on my bench. A couple of my built Revell GT snap kits and my extra Welly GT diecast are going to be re-homed during the holidays in anticipation.

I agree Bob it's going to be a nice kit. 

For those interested in saving a few $$ Chris Baskett at UpScale Hobbies is taking preorders on these and has a very nice price listed. https://upscalehobbies.com/pre-order/2007-tamiya-ford-gt-model-kit-124-scale.html

I too hope Tamiya will do a detail set and CF set like they did with the FXX. If not, I'm sure Studio 27 or HD will have one not too far into the future.

All of the Stateside pre-orders seems to be in the $45 range, so this is probably going to be about $30-32 in Japan (have to wait til tomorrow morning for those pre-orders to open since this kit was announced on a Saturday morning over there).

If Tamiya was doing any accessories they would have been announced with it, so it looks more like the NSX in contents.  But Hobby Design and Studio27 aftermarket exists to C/F and P/E that one up to your heart's (and sanity's) content.

18 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

I’m happy with the kit looking at the sprues. I’m very pleased with the multiple piece mirrors for example. Looks like the made it so you didn’t have to mask off so many pieces.

Ben

Nice catch Ben, I didnt see that. Will be nice too if you want to CF the stems too, or just paint them black and the mirrors body colour.

• 3 weeks later...