Model Cars Magazine Forum

Topic full of information just vanished?

Ace-Garageguy

May I respectfully ask WHY the thread addressing various reasons that manufacturers may have for releasing what they do, but more importantly, contained MUCH VALUABLE INFO regarding upcoming offerings in 3D printed formats, and a video demonstrating what is possible TODAY in desktop printing, was apparently removed?

I put a lot of personal EFFORT into making relevant and respectful comments on that thread, from first-hand knowledge, and to have it all just tossed out frankly offends my sense of being valued here. Others made knowledgeable and insightful comments as well, as to the WHY of what makes it to market, as well as HOW.

Nobody was attacked or abused or criticized while I was watching. The desirability of one's having some knowledge of a subject prior to pontificating on it was mentioned, but in non-confrontational terms.

What's up with this? Did I miss something? And if so, why wasn't the "offensive" content removed, leaving information that could be valuable to the entire community intact?

NOTE: I am NOT criticizing decisions of the moderators, which I fully understand is expressly forbidden. I am ASKING for clarification, as all of us who post NEED to understand clearly EXACTLY what is consistently permissible, and what may go over the line of acceptable behavior.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I hid the thread to clean up some unnecessary comments to keep this thread of good info on track and apparently the hamster on the internet here at work died and I lost connection,I have since un-hid and I am sorry for any confusion of inconvenience this may have caused so with that please read on and add all the useful info to the thread and please keep it on track ..... I now return you to your regularly scheduled program ...

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Whatever the reason, we still keep rising to the bait.

Sometimes the only way to win some games is not to play.

The problem is, many of us have learned to not take the bait. But there are a ton of users that haven't, which starts the ball rolling. And then we have to jump in to stop the spread of misinformation and falsehoods, for the sake of the community as a whole.

The topic did come back, but is now locked after going further down the rabbit hole.

The things admins have to put up with sometimes. Thank you for what you do

At least the important 3D printing stuff is still visible. Maybe someone can start a new topic on it where it is free to expand into a truly worthwhile topic without the chaotic baggage attached to it.

I posted the links to the videos showing only the tip of the iceberg as to what's available in desktop 3D printing and short-run soft tooling in the hopes that, rather than continuing with another endless wish-list and criticizing of the companies that make the stuff we're addicted to, some of youse guys might see that the huge financial investment we've been led to believe is required to tool something new is now no longer necessary, and because of that, shortish and PROFITABLE runs of "significant" subjects are now entirely possible.

Any luck, the model companies are researching the stuff too...but just WHY it's taking so long to implement some of this tech is beyond me. Some of that stuff is years old now.

It is literally possible to set up in a garage to design, prototype, tool and produce world-class injection-molded kits...or at the very least, parts, and then bodies to update or backdate existing kits (or rebody as a related vehicle). Very high quality aftermarket parts could sell for market-friendly prices because the cycle-times are so fast compared to working with resin, too.

Seeing that first machine spitting out parts every 15 or so seconds is proof positive the concept is entirely viable. Imagine every part in that pile was a finned head for an old Ford, or something like a Moroso valve cover, or a S.C.o.T. blower or a red taillight or a clear headlight lens...or whatever you can wish for. 

Frankly, if I hadn't already pretty well planned out the rest of my own life building some of the 1:1 cars I've been designing since I was young, I'd take the plunge and set up as a model parts and eventually kit manufacturer myself.

But surely there's somebody else out there who has the combination of abilities and funding necessary to make it happen, and who isn't running on borrowed time.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

All of the current/future tech is very promising, but still runs afoul of the normal issue that isn't budging - licensing.

It could theoretically work for parts and bodies so long as you ran them on a small enough scale to be seen as cottage aftermarket, but as soon as you try to crank out something in a significant enough volume and/or size (aka a full kit) the Cease and Desist Police are gonna come knocking. 

The question then becomes does someone with the technical wherewithal, financial abilities to buy the machinery and not living on borrowed time (well that last part is impossible) then also have enough bank roll - or ability to crowd source the funding to cover that up front and per unit % fee that is going to be required.

Edited by niteowl7710