Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 89 Batmobile

ScaleAsylum

This is the batmobile I'm working on, I'm planning on making all working lights that and a display base to simulate the seen in Batman after Batman and Vicki Vale escape the Joker and are in route to the batcave on a dark wet, woodland road with plenty of leaves blowing around.

20181109_215950.thumb.jpg.0bfd8e8d1520361c39af5ddcd005e794.jpg

I haven't got the paint job done yet, still trying to get the color mix just right.

Been playing with the idea of putting a bit of pearlex in some satin clear for an overcoat, to give the reflections the magic that's on the big screen. The right mix of red, blue, and green pearl is essential.

Here's a shot of the dash before fiber optic installation. 

1541819837752345634175310811695.thumb.jpg.faa69479e7f21d79c04df9c90098a539.jpg

For some reason I had to reduce the quality of the dash pic, to get it to upload... sorry.

Any input or constructive criticism welcome!

Any ideas out there on anything that could enhance this build further?

17 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Dash looks super detailed!

Thanks, I'm hoping to have the whole thing lit with fiber optics that change colors, pulse and flicker.

First, I have to get the wheels resprayed and then mix the body color.

Edited by ScaleAsylum

On 11/10/2018 at 4:21 PM, ScaleAsylum said:

For some reason I had to reduce the quality of the dash pic, to get it to upload... sorry.

For some reason the forum doesnt like portrait images, convert them to landscape & they'll upload.

Like what your working on, I did the same many years ago, added lights to my build. Cant wait for your next update!

51 minutes ago, da_ashman said:

For some reason the forum doesnt like portrait images, convert them to landscape & they'll upload.

Like what your working on, I did the same many years ago, added lights to my build. Cant wait for your next update!

Thanks for the tip. Hope to have more updates soon!

I'll be following this, good start so far.

A note on the paint of the movie car, it was actually painted a very dark green. The car was painted the very dark green simply because black is the most difficult colour to capture in a photo and on film as it plays havoc on lighting.  

38 minutes ago, vintageford said:

Hers a good conversation on color.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/keaton-batmobile-color.50114/

Looking good on the dash.

Yea I've read all that entire thread looking for the right mix.

I've tried several mixes and methods on plastic spoons and I think I've found one that I like.

Will be laying down color either today or tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Rider said:

I'll be following this, good start so far.

A note on the paint of the movie car, it was actually painted a very dark green. The car was painted the very dark green simply because black is the most difficult colour to capture in a photo and on film as it plays havoc on lighting.  

I believe it's got a few layers of Metallic green, blue, and red under a few more thinned out, almost translucent coats of semi gloss black.

But in 1/25 I think the effect will either be too much or non existent sadly.

But I'm gonna post what I wind up with.

I'm starting the gloss black "returns" car after this one.