Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 elcamino

Thanks guys .  I messed up with the cut really, the cut line is right at the panel line of the front door and along the cowl panel line. What I initially failed to realize is that the 67 coupe front fender is not the same in the lower portion, the area behind the front wheel, where it meets the door gap. To change that, I ended up hacking another 66 elco to get the lower fender portions, and then spliced those into the 67  front clip. After that, I set about making the tail lamps. I filled the existing ‘holes’ in the body with putty, then took the 67 chevelle coupe tail light panel and cut the ends off of it so I just had the part that the lenses went into. Then with carefull measuring ( I eye balled it), I cut matching holes into the body to fit the new tail lamp assemblies. I used the 67 coupe dash to retain the oddly placed tach ( unique to the 67 SS), and sanded off all the detail on the 66 elco interior door panels, and grafted the 67 door panels on to them to keep the proper pattern. I used the 66 elco kit chassis/engine etc. to complete the build. The wheels came from the 67 kit I hacked up, and the red line tires are AMT parts pack bits. Again, it’s not 100% accurate, but for me, it fills a gap in the elco line . I’ve already built a few 66 elco’s, and have 64, 65, and 68 kits to do, and have a few extra 68 kits to turn into 69 and 70’s versions.....some day. This project has been kicking around for a year or so, and the bug finally bit me to finish it. Thanks for looking?

Turned out beautifully. I did much the same a couple of years ago trying to replicate the '67 El Camino I owned many years ago. I ran into the same problems you mentioned. I thought the Revell '67 Chevelle SS and their '66 El Camino would have been much easier to combine but the Firewall and the inner Fenders are different but they should be the same. Oh well yours turned out great. Look at my Avatar for an idea of how my attempt turned out.  

My Dad had one in near the identical color. Had chrome bed rails and whitewall mud grips on the rear. Got to drive it down the gravel roads near my uncles house in the country. Loved that truck but my Dad bought and sold cars and soon it was gone. Thanks for the memories with a very nice build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...