Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good To Be Home! (hospitals suck)

OldTrucker

Friday morning went to Granparent's day at our youngest granddaughters preschool.

On the way there had an event of chest pain that quickly subsided but left hy heart rate higher than normal.

Figured would get through the hour long event then hit the doctor's office on the way home but after easing off during their little show they were putting on my heart rate took off for the sky and chest pain returned.

I held out until they were done with their program and they got the kids out to the classroom and my son's moth-in-law called 911. So a 19 minute ambulance ride and admission to the hospital outpatient observation unit for the night.

All the other issues went away other than my heart rate occasionally jumping up and even that went down to normal, well below normal as when I sleep I will drop into the 40's. with the top BP number in the 90's.

Couldn't have anything after midnight because of having a stress test on Sat which didn't happen until 11:30. Then when the girl had me prepped she couldn't get a call back from the doctor that was supposed to be in attendance. Finally she got hold of someone in the department who informed her that the doctor had decided to scrub in on another doctors procedure. They wound up with a nurse and a "Fellow" that came in to administer the contrast and watch that they didn't kill me on the treadmill!:lol:

Later they called the doctor for the results so they could determine if I could go home or needed more tests and he insisted that I had not had the test yet because he was not there to do it.

After finally getting him to check he found the results HAD been sent to him and he said there was nothing abnormal in them and released me at around 4:00 yesterday.

I have a followup with my cardiologist on Friday which was an already scheduled appointment.

I still want to know why every 12-18 months I wind up in the hospital for this same issue that they can never find anything wrong!!!:(

John first of all I am glad you are okay and glad you didn't take a chance and did go to er because you never know ...... I too have had similar experiences about once a year and nothing shows,done all test minus heart cath and still nothing found but after test after test finally doc feels that mine are related to a combo of my acid reflux and stress mind ...mind you i am not suggesting that this is what you have and please do as you have been and don't take chances so you can enjoy them grand babies and so that they can enjoy you too :)

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

Friday morning went to Granparent's day at our youngest granddaughters preschool.

On the way there had an event of chest pain that quickly subsided but left hy heart rate higher than normal.

Figured would get through the hour long event then hit the doctor's office on the way home but after easing off during their little show they were putting on my heart rate took off for the sky and chest pain returned.

I held out until they were done with their program and they got the kids out to the classroom and my son's moth-in-law called 911. So a 19 minute ambulance ride and admission to the hospital outpatient observation unit for the night.

All the other issues went away other than my heart rate occasionally jumping up and even that went down to normal, well below normal as when I sleep I will drop into the 40's. with the top BP number in the 90's.

Couldn't have anything after midnight because of having a stress test on Sat which didn't happen until 11:30. Then when the girl had me prepped she couldn't get a call back from the doctor that was supposed to be in attendance. Finally she got hold of someone in the department who informed her that the doctor had decided to scrub in on another doctors procedure. They wound up with a nurse and a "Fellow" that came in to administer the contrast and watch that they didn't kill me on the treadmill!:lol:

Later they called the doctor for the results so they could determine if I could go home or needed more tests and he insisted that I had not had the test yet because he was not there to do it.

After finally getting him to check he found the results HAD been sent to him and he said there was nothing abnormal in them and released me at around 4:00 yesterday.

I have a followup with my cardiologist on Friday which was an already scheduled appointment.

I still want to know why every 12-18 months I wind up in the hospital for this same issue that they can never find anything wrong!!!:(

Time for a new doctor.

Glad you're OK for now, but the new Doctor and or Hospital sounds like pretty sound advice to me. Whoever the "Doctor" who was supposed to be checking you out goes and "scrubs in" with another Doctor sounds like they had a T Time. I went thru much of the same problems minus the Ambulance ride a few years ago. A single flight of stairs at work had me panting like I had just run a 4 minute mile. I ended up having a Stent in the LAD 2 Artery, the one they call the "widow maker".  I spent one night in the Hospital and walked out the next day. Your Cardio. Doctor should be all over this with more than a Stress Test. That only tells them how you're doing at that moment and not if there is any blockage. You have to follow this closely because it sound like the only person thinking about you is you.  

My biggest fear was kneeling over in front of all those little kids! Especially our granddaughter who was just 4 feet in front of us!

The doctor was one that was covering for my cardiologist this weekend. I see my regular guy on Friday and believe me he will get an ear full!

He is the best in town and always reissues me that I'm not in danger of dropping dead anytime soon from my heart!

As someone said I do have acid reflux. It already progressed into Barretts Esophogus and sometimes the chest pain gets so intense it plays with your head.

On 11/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, High octane said:

Time for a new doctor.

No Nick, I have faith in our Cardiologist! If it was not for him sending my wife to Northwestern for her last open heart in 2012 rather than letting the local surgeon do it here she would not be here today!(that right from his mouth) We dang near lost her up there so would have here for sure!

My wife had an appointment with him Monday and she told him what happened and he went right back out and she could hear him chewing the other Doctor's but out and then telling his PA "I never want to have him covering my patients ever again!" the came back in and apologized for what had happened.

Got a call this morning from the Doctor himself reassuring me that my tests were all good and he would discuss where to go from here on my appointment tomorrow.

Do what you gotta do, as I've noticed over the years that some doctors think that they can "walk on water." Well they can't and I'll tell them so if I feel the need. They also think that since they went to medical school their time is "very valuable."  And what mine isn't? If a doctor is running late for whatever stupid reason, their patients should be told this up front as soon as they check in with the receptionist. When I was working we had a "starting time" and we were there at that time or there's a good chance we would be "down the road."

39 minutes ago, High octane said:

Do what you gotta do, as I've noticed over the years that some doctors think that they can "walk on water." Well they can't and I'll tell them so if I feel the need. They also think that since they went to medical school their time is "very valuable."  And what mine isn't? If a doctor is running late for whatever stupid reason, their patients should be told this up front as soon as they check in with the receptionist. When I was working we had a "starting time" and we were there at that time or there's a good chance we would be "down the road."

We have seen this with some of our other doctors after the change in healthcare laws and doctors started leaving private practice and becoming what I call "company doctors"  and become part of the hospital or clinic "group"!

Now half the time you only get to see the doctor if the "PA" thinks it is necessary to. (unless you are like my wife and raise nineteen kinds of heck until they get him! LOL)

I don't know if it is everywhere but the doctor can no longer "direct admit" a patient to the hospital. They have to send them to the ER where that doctor reviews what your doctor diagnosed and then upon the ER Doc's check he makes the decision of whether you meet the 5 criteria that is now required for admission. Usually if you aren't in dire distress or half dead they put you in outpatient observation first.

Edited by OldTrucker

That is rough. There are implantable monitors they can use to catch the events, but I would get a second opinion. Maybe find someone up at Northwestern.

It’s frustrating when you don’t fit the common signs and symptoms. It takes a persistent doctor, and assertive patient to figure out what’s wrong. 

I hope you can figure out what’s going on and get well.  

A couple of years ago a local Hospital changed hands and many of the doctors that I had seen there left their practices at that Hospital. In the last three years every time I have gone to see the General Family Doctor I have seen three different Doctors as the "old" ones had left. The same thing with my Cardiologist. They do a cursory heart beat check and just refile my med's that they never prescribed in the first place. I guess I had better start looking also.     

I have had a few doctors leave because they were connected to a hospital. Usually before they would leave I would see them. I would ask them why they are leaving and the answer was usually they were not making their daily patient quotas. It went from the doctors caring for their patients to the almighty dollar because the hospital joined the Ascension Group. Although a called a so called non profit. Someone is benefitting from this group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(company)

Saw my family doctor yesterday who assures me after consulting with my cardiologist and looking al all my tests that I do not have any cardiac issues and am not in any danger of having a heart attack or other cadiac event.

The chest pain he says most likely are from the reflux and Barretts and muscular skeletal pain from being somewhat sedentary and too much time sitting at my work bench and computer.

Said unless I wanted to be back on steroids or pain meds the best suggestion would be getting out and walking as much as I can and to lose about one preson's worth of my weight and I can agree with that one!

Said it would help with my hiatal hernia and my blood pressure issues and with my hypoglycemia. Said a lot of the light headedness is due to drops in my blood pressure because of the bp meds and water pill that I'm on which also slows my heart rate especially when I'm sitting for extended periods.

The cardiologist says the chest pain the day I went to the hospital most likely was because my heart rate slowed and then skipped a couple beats when it picked back up and then raced to get the pressure back up.

Told me to cut down one of the meds to every other day.

At least I can go to thanksgiving at my son's with worrying I'll drop off in front of the grandkids!:lol: