Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fires destroy 2 resin casters

I expect there to be a tremendous amount of Classic and Custom cars lost also.

Ray Goulart '50 Olds was also destroyed in the fire.

46053364_10217594137876207_2776638585258901504_n.jpg.446c074e59d2494f360d0dda2254f938.jpg

Gary Cerveny lost 30 cars in the Southern California - Malibu fires.

46096825_10217458744763112_4793032109033783296_n.jpg.fe1d7a9fc71bf7100a1b82f7a5a0a0a8.jpg46112820_10217458745043119_8702762755800694784_n.jpg.a5080b8082fec6452e359d0427720ec3.jpg

The fires will have a big impact on our hobby as well as the lives, livelihood and property of others. Sad times indeed

Paul and his wife Suzi had 20 mins. warning to get out. Both of them lost homes and jobs; Joe worked at the Ford dealer there and it's gone too.

There's a Gofundme page that's been set up for Paul. I know someone who is going to set up a similar page for Joe.

https://www.gofundme.com/paul-fisher-fire-relief?fbclid=IwAR0n3Vun0Isa_rLXxeAQHEIUUVA_GynGZbhy-B25oEHiUvIawkfZhOf8ibM

28 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Paul and his wife Suzi had 20 mins. warning to get out. Both of them lost homes and jobs; Joe worked at the Ford dealer there and it's gone too.

There's a Gofundme page that's been set up for Paul. I know someone who is going to set up a similar page for Joe.

https://www.gofundme.com/paul-fisher-fire-relief?fbclid=IwAR0n3Vun0Isa_rLXxeAQHEIUUVA_GynGZbhy-B25oEHiUvIawkfZhOf8ibM

Thank you Bob for the info.

13 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Very tragic situation! Did you suffer any damage, Brian?

Well, I'd rather not say and just focus on our beloved casters loss.  I can't help but tear up for them.

But lets just say based on my convos with local fire fighters and what I've seen first hand, don't be surprised if over 1,000 structures are gone.

I wont be posting any builds for a long while.  In fact I may not never build again, I'm just unsure.

And I've never heard smoke/fire growl at me before.

You know, all the telco copper/fiber is burnt down not to mention power.  I don't see any recovery for years to come.  Nothing will ever be the same, so very tragic!

I've lived through all the fires, earthquakes and mud slides here and have never ever seen this sort of carnage before.  Now up North where Paul and company got rocked, they are in way worse shape.

I feel sooo very very bad for them.

Edited by aurfalien

That is such a horrible situation there....my heart goes out to them all and prayers do too.  One month before my wife and I got married her mothers house burnt to the ground early one morning...she lost her mom and stepdad in it but at least her three young brothers got out an upstairs widow and were pretty much ok.    Going through that with her was very hard..cant imagine what they all are going through.

Edited by disabled modeler

Horrible news but thanks for the update.  Those pics from Zuma Beach took me right back. I used to work in Agoura Hills. Sometimes for lunch in summer, we would drive straight down Kanan Rd. thru Malibu Canyon to Zuma.  Get us a hot dog from one of the vendors and look at the scenery. (I lived in L.A. for many years until re-locating in 2015. )

Malibu Canyon was always a tinder-box, just waiting to go up in flames. Miles and miles of dry scrub brush. If we got heavy rains the previous winter, that just made more brush grow.  No rain and the stuff got drier and drier. The place couldn't win.  Fires often started in Malibu Canyon. Back in 1993 a massive fire burned up a big, beautiful park full of old-growth trees in Thousand Oaks. My gf at the time lived close to that one, and we walked thru that park after the fire.  It was eerie.

There was always a fear that fires from the Canyon would "jump the freeway" and burn into Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills and Westlake Village. Which seems to be what happened this year.  Awful.

The loss of life and property is staggering, and very sad.

I took one of the best drives I've ever taken when I was in LA on business a few years ago. Drove through Topanga Canyon on 27 down to the coast and then took the PCH through Malibu. Beautiful area, great curvy road to drive on. Hope to make it back there someday, but now the landscape will be quite different for sure,

Thoughts are with those that have been affected by this.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my friends had a call yesterday from Joe Vondracek from Quick Skins. Joe told him that his home miraculously survived the fire, one of 14% of homes in Paradise that didn't burn. However he's still not allowed to go back yet, his area is still cordoned off by authorities, but at least some good news for Joe. 

On 11/13/2018 at 4:37 PM, aurfalien said:

Well, I'd rather not say...

But lets just say...I wont be posting any builds for a long while.  In fact I may not never build again, I'm just unsure...

Damm Brian. Glad you're OK. 

I hadn't looked at this thread since the day it went up, but seeing you asking for advice on (apparently) replacement tool purchases on another thread, I kinda got the feeling you might have been hit.

This is unbelievably awful. Again, glad you're OK. You seem to have a good attitude about everything, and you (and everyone else who was in the path of a fire) have my sincere hope that things out there return to a semblance of normalcy ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, aurfalien said:

Hi,

Would any one happen to now how Paul Fisher is doing?

The last I heard from my source is that Paul has decided not to offer kits any more but to devote his time to only building masters for others in the industry.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

The last I heard from my source is that Paul has decided not to offer kits any more but to devote his time to only building masters for others in the industry.

Hi and thank you very much for the reply.

A seemingly sound decision for him.  Customer facing fromage can be just that, ie; a lot of stinky cheese.

I wish him the very best as he is a stand up and fine craftsman.