Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model T Speedster #12 (RAJO-Powered Vintage Beach Racer)

misterNNL

This is another AMT model T speedster model I built last year that was inspired by the wide coverage in magazines and internet coverage of their coastal beach racing events. This is based on a scrap AMT '25 Ford coupe body I had in my stash of stuff. I cut that body into 16 separate panels. I narrowed it to match the frame width and added a flat panel at the rear. The turtle deck is part of a Flintstone made resin body. The body was also shortened to a knee crunching status.The engine is semi scratch built with a hand made RAJO head and custom intake manifold. The wheels and tires are Flintstone resin parts.The number is an homage to the number of forward speeds of the car would have as it has 2 three speed transmissions linked in series and a 2 speed rear end(3x2x2=12).The floorboards and firewall are basswood. Steering wheel is again a thread wrapped part to simulate a common 1920's practice of wrapped wheels. Seat is a resin item also(source unknown now). Dirty green paint is flat green rattle can Krylon rusted and heavily weathered with acrylics. Additional details include mechanical brakes and the rounded track style nose piece friction shocks.Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Photos are by Tim Boyd and are used with his permission.

DSC 0355

DSC 0354

DSC 0356

DSC 0366

DSC 0365

DSC 0368

For additional overall and detail shots, click here for 11 more images...

Edited by misterNNL
Forgot to add proper credit for photos

6 hours ago, Ryansrust6 said:

Very cool done real well what are the wheels and tires from they’re great

I got those wheels and tires from Jimmy Flinstone resin. Simply access his web site and search under wheels and tires for some really neat stuff with reasonable prices.Thanks for all the positive comments.

8 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I got those wheels and tires from Jimmy Flinstone resin. Simply access his web site and search under wheels and tires for some really neat stuff with reasonable prices.Thanks for all the positive comments.

I just checked Flintstone's website and his item number is JFW 8. He lists them as rat rod wheels and tires. The set of four sells for $ 10.00 plus shipping.

Edited by misterNNL

Thanks brother builders! A lot of the fun was incorporating many of the individual details from the real speedsters I found images of in magazines or on-line. A lot of those parts were scratch built as they are not available from current kits.

Edited by misterNNL
Forgotten details