Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Photographs

I picked up these photographs at Motor City NNL from a man who bought a collection from Oscar Koveleski. The captions will tell you about the photographs and your eyes will keep busy as you search out stuff, such as Chuck Miller's display and my 20th scale model display in the Toronto shot (maybe hidden somewhere in the background) :)  There is lots more to see than just models :) 

Bruce Owen 1974.jpg

Detroit 1974 - 1.jpg

Detroit 1974 -2.jpg

Toronto 1974.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, vamach1 said:

Somewhere I have some color slides of a MPC contest at an auto show in Washington DC in the 1970's..  Anyone know if there is any easy way to convert them to digital pics?

My former Canon printer had a slide adapter that would scan slides and negatives. My new one does not. You should be be able to get that done at any print shop. 

On 11/14/2018 at 4:27 PM, vamach1 said:

Somewhere I have some color slides of a MPC contest at an auto show in Washington DC in the 1970's..  Anyone know if there is any easy way to convert them to digital pics?

Rex, if you can't do it, I can - my scanner has an adapter. PM me if you find the slides.

On 14/11/2018 at 3:27 PM, vamach1 said:

For about $75 CDN, I picked up a decent slide converter. Plug it in to the computer, and it turns them digital. I am happy with the results.

Here's an example. BTW, I'm the little guy behind the Matador.

1976 May - 003 - Matador.jpg

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

For about $75 CDN, I picked up a decent slide converter. Plug it in to the computer, and it turns them digital. I am happy with the results.

One slide scanning tip: let your software do an 'auto color correction'. I was amazed when I first tried it :)

Rob

On 11/15/2018 at 9:57 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Rex, if you can't do it, I can - my scanner has an adapter. PM me if you find the slides.

I will look for them.  No close ups that I remember but it should be interesting to some of us old timers.

Color slides were mailed on Monday.  Hope to see them on this thread next week.

Edited by vamach1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, iamsuperdan said:

1976 May - 003 - Matador.jpg

Is that a "cyclops" driving light on the front bumper?  I don't remember ever seeing that (except on a Tucker of course). :)

My mom worked for a lady who owned the same car (same colors too).  I always thought it was a cool looking car. One of these days I'll build my Matador kit.

16 hours ago, peteski said:

Is that a "cyclops" driving light on the front bumper?  I don't remember ever seeing that (except on a Tucker of course). :)

My mom worked for a lady who owned the same car (same colors too).  I always thought it was a cool looking car. One of these days I'll build my Matador kit.

Yeah, my dad put a single driving light on the car. He had a soft vinyl cover for it too, black and white checkerboard pattern. I have a kit my dad built back in the 70s that was painted like this. I recently found an original issue Matador X kit, still sealed, that I'm going to build like this car. Including the cyclops light of course.

:)

17 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

I notice Ontario plates on the Matador,....Is that Lakeside park Dan ?..(..."willows in the breeze...")

I live just up the street....

It could be, but I have no idea. We moved from Mississauga to Edmonton in 1978. I was only 5, so there's not much I remember from out there. My parents might know where that photo was taken. I always have questions about these old photos, so when they come over on Sunday for our little Grey Cup gathering, I'll bring it up. :)