Model Cars Magazine Forum

molded in frames

m408

I have a couple of kits where the frame, exhaust system, gas tank etc... are all pre molded in. I would like to detail them a little. Seems like it would take a super small brush and a hand much more steady than mine, or hours of masking.

Any suggestions?

That's it exactly. A fine brush and a steady hand. Masking would be tricky, with all the ins and outs you'd have to contend with. Liquid masking wouldn't be much help either, because you have to paint it on with a brush...so you'd still only get as straight a line as you could paint anyway!

Best way to detail a chassis like this is to take your time, use a good brush, and don't worry about being too perfect. If you make a mistake, you can always go back and clean up the color separation line by touching up with the color you "over-ran".

And remember...it's the bottom of the model. Nobody's going to see it unless you show it to them! ;) Unless you're entering a contest, don't worry about a few imperfections.

That's it exactly. A fine brush and a steady hand. Masking would be tricky, with all the ins and outs you'd have to contend with. Liquid masking wouldn't be much help either, because you have to paint it on with a brush...so you'd still only get as straight a line as you could paint anyway!

Best way to detail a chassis like this is to take your time, use a good brush, and don't worry about being too perfect. If you make a mistake, you can always go back and clean up the color separation line by touching up with the color you "over-ran".

And remember...it's the bottom of the model. Nobody's going to see it unless you show it to them! ;) Unless you're entering a contest, don't worry about a few imperfections.

Thanks Harry. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. ;)

Good tip! The ink washes will settle down into all the grooves and recesses where you're most likely to have slightly wavy painted edges and "straighten out" your color division lines, while at the same time giving the chassis a realistic look.

If you take your time detail painting, and then add black washes, you should wind up with a chassis that looks great... ;)

Liquid masking wouldn't be much help either, because you have to paint it on with a brush...so you'd still only get as straight a line as you could paint anyway!

You can actually trim liquid masking with a knife to get a neater edge. You have to apply a pretty heavy coat, and it can be a bit finnicky, but it can be done. It's nothing I would do on a whole chassis though, I'm lazy so I think the wash method sounds more attractive. ;)

You can actually trim liquid masking with a knife to get a neater edge. You have to apply a pretty heavy coat, and it can be a bit finnicky, but it can be done. It's nothing I would do on a whole chassis though, I'm lazy so I think the wash method sounds more attractive. :(

which leaves us right back where we started because you can cut as straight a line as you could paint righ ?

my advise would be to paint the more recesses places first

and when possible paint the lighter colours first aswell

this leaves the most important dividing lines for last

but with everything practice helps

just do the best you can and i garantue that five models later you will be notably better at it

I usually spray the main color(s) then pick out the details with a small brush. Yes it takes time and yes a steady hand helps, But with a little practice you can do a reasonably convincing job. Also fine line sharpies can help to clean up uneven lines. Here are a few of mine to show you how I do them. Hope this helps.

Ed

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

which leaves us right back where we started because you can cut as straight a line as you could paint righ ?

Not really. It might be just me, but it's easier to cut a straight line, especially when you have lines to follow. I find it way easier to get a straight line using BMF and a knife, rather than using paint and a brush.