Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help narrowing a model

I have a standard Corvette C7 kit, I am looking at making it into a Pro Mod C7 Drag car. 

As you can see from the photos the pro mod has a much narrower and sharper nose compared to the normal kit. How do I go about creating this? I understand I would need to cut part of the centre out of the front to bring it together and narrow it up. But how would I get the sharp nose, using a filler and shaping it? 

I have attached a photo of the kit, the real life pro mod and a model that someone has created to do it. 

Any help and recommendations are highly appreciated!

51Sc6-IvxyL._SX466_.jpg

42516490_1882666651770083_6484514951753891840_o.jpg

Corvette-Pro-Mod.jpg

I'm not so sure that it's just a matter of narrowing the nose. It appears more 'stretched out' and angled than the stock one. It may just be a matter of adding some plastic and putty and reshaping it that way. One major hurdle you may have however is also stretching those headlight lenses which match the angle of the nose. That may require vac forming new lenses altogether.

Just my 2¢ worth. ;)

Yeah, I dont know that the front is narrowed as much as it is stretched. It looks like the front wheels are moved forward about a quarter inch then the front is at least a half inch to an inch longer than the stock one. If you do decide to narrow it I'd make the cuts right along the lower edge of the hood bulge.

Hard to tell from the 1:1's pic but if indeed that car is narrower than the standard C7 'Vette, what Rob said is correct. You're in for a LOT of major work!

If you're a novice I strongly recommend TONS of practice before attempting something like that.

For the faint of heart it is not! :o

I agree with all of the above posts.  if I were doing this, first I would google outline drawing of c7 vet and also side and top views if possible of 1 to 1 and model-then play around in a drawing app and something like photoshop.   as I don't have photoshop I use office.   I might even print out some of the outline drawings and cut them to see some of what has to be done.  during the process I would spend significant time just looking at the model body I have and THINKING.  good luck and post in progress pics if you tackle it.

2X on the side and top views.  I'd get two bodies (maybe even three) rather than trying to use flat sheet plastic for the stretched areas.  And, I'd think it through; you won't necessarily splice pieces from one body into the other.  You might have to cut the two bodies at different points and join the two "long" pieces together to get it to "flow".  For the narrowing process, I'd work from a center line as opposed to narrowing anything by a specific amount.  Some of the narrowing will involve V-shaped pieces being added or removed to change the taper of the front end.  Definitely not a beginner project. 

I can easily see why you would be attracted to this Pro mod build. Absolutely beautiful design. Modifying an existing kit would be a monumental task as others have already stated. If someone could model it on computer it would be possible to have it 3D printed by Shapeways and end up being 100 percent accurate. Best of luck with whatever path you choose and be sure to document your build and share it here in the on the work bench forum.