Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

Here are a few car kits announced for a 2019 release:

AMT 1138  -- 1/25 1969 Chevy Chevelle Hardtop

AMT PP21 -- 1/25 Custom Caps & Wheels Parts Pack (4 each)

MPC 906  -- 1/25 Ridge Runner (Pinto) Modified Race Car

MPC 911 -- 1/25 1969 Pontiac Firebird Convertible

Polar Lights 960 -- 1/24 Coca-Cola VW Beetle (Snap)

Polar Lights 965 -- 1/25 Classic 1966 Batmobile (Snap)

AMT 1151 -- 1/25 Dyno Don Nicholson's Mercury Cyclone Eliminator II Funny Car

Edited by Casey

The AMT '69 Chevelle will be great to have again. That one's been among the missing for some time. The kit I had was one of several I lost when my place got flooded back in '11. I always thought that car was a tad on the small side.........not quite 1/25, but more like 1/26-1/27 scale.

I might be wrong, but just the size of the car when built compared to others just seemed small to me.

The '69 Firebird Convertible? I think I'll pass on that one as the body shape simply does not look right to me, coupe or convertible. We SORELY need a new tool '69 Firebird kit and a proper Trans Am is high on my list.

Revell, are you listening??

The Batmobile----I wonder if this is the one with the engine as I remember there was a version with one and another without. I'd take the one with the engine.

The '69 Chevelle Hardtop + the Beaumont conversion + Le Mans/ GTO dash = fun project .

I wonder what that Ridge Runner Pinto is supposed to "be" ? Drag race ? 'Modified' dirt track ? 

( I'm going to take a quick dip in the Revell '68 Chevelle pond here : I'm willing to bet that if its sales are satisfactory , a '69 would be the natural evolution of the Chevelle series... and perhaps a '70 , ad seq.

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The '69 Chevelle Hardtop + the Beaumont conversion + Le Mans/ GTO dash = fun project .

I wonder what that Ridge Runner Pinto is supposed to "be" ? Drag race ? 'Modified' dirt track ? 

( I'm going to take a quick dip in the Revell '68 Chevelle pond here : I'm willing to bet that if its sales are satisfactory , a '69 would be the natural evolution of the Chevelle series... and perhaps a '70 , ad seq.

Since the tooling for the Chevelle is complete, and everything gets tooled at once, multiplied by the fact they effectively paid next to nothing for it, any sales will be satisfactory and spin off the rest. 

Also Pinto would be this -

model-king-ridge-runner-pinto-modified.jpg.d10d45886f56b6b4e65f0edea821da5a.jpg

58 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Since the tooling for the Chevelle is complete, and everything gets tooled at once, multiplied by the fact they effectively paid next to nothing for it, any sales will be satisfactory and spin off the rest. 

Also Pinto would be this -

model-king-ridge-runner-pinto-modified.jpg.d10d45886f56b6b4e65f0edea821da5a.jpg

Thanks for the image ; don't believe that I ever saw this one during its first (or subsequent) run . For a future reference , what is this type of vehicle referred to as ? "Modified" ? "Circle Track" ? 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm still getting a 404 Page Not Found when I try to post quoting Mr. Obsessive's remarks on the '69 Firebird.

Snake, I can see your comments on my end. If what you wanted to bring up about the MPC '69 Firebird and its foibles, I wanted to mention that I've been investigating how one can transform some of the bodywork from the MPC 'Bird to the Revell '69 Camaro. Some surgery would be needed of course, but nothing major/drastic.

Of course, as soon as I attempt to start a project like that, Revell will announce an all new tool of a '69 Trans Am! :P

This was one of the cars I mentioned to Ed Sexton personally at the NNL East a couple years ago. He mentioned the MPC tool though but I said that IMO the car is off shape wise and his Camaro could serve as the 'bones' for new tooling. Same basic body shape, same chassis (they already have the '68 Firebird), and they could use the engine out of the '68 for that matter. Just a new interior, proper wheels and decals, and they'd be good to go.

So we shall see..............

2 hours ago, Roncla said:

And what about the Bruce Larsen Pro Stock Vega ?. Round 2 website  is still showing it as coming in 2017..... Its certainly on the slow boat from China. 

MPC828-Bruce-Larson-USA-1-Pro-Stock-Vega.jpg

I think the same thing whenever I visit Round2's site :  , "I've been hearing about this Larson 1974 Vega P/S for almost 10 years now... Where the hell is this thing ?!?"

Once it's released , I can pirate its chassis and use it under my '74 Vega annual !