Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, MrObsessive said:

The Batmobile----I wonder if this is the one with the engine as I remember there was a version with one and another without. I'd take the one with the engine.

The listing says "Snap," so that must be the simplified snap-kit of the Batmobile.  No engine, but it still looks pretty good.  The link below will take you to a review of the Snapper from That Other Magazine.

Polar Lights released several different versions of the Batmobile back around 2011.  If you want an engine, look for one of these:

Kit #POL-837: comes in a standard-sized kit box.  Has a 27-piece 429 Ford V8 with C6 automatic trans.

Kit #POL-881: Deluxe Edition. Comes in a long, flat box similar to the Round 2 "Art Box."  Optional 429 Ford or simplified "jet turbine" engine.  Also includes photo-etched stainless steel parts, resin figures of Batman & Robin, and other goodies.

http://www.scaleautomag.com/how-to-models/kit-reviews/2011/10/polar-lights-1966-batmobile-snap-kit

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Snake, I can see your comments on my end.

He mentioned the MPC tool though but I said that IMO the car is off shape wise

That's weird. All I can see is my two posts about not being able to post. Yes, I had a long post about what's wrong with the MPC body. 

Interestingly, I have a 1/24 diecast '69 Firebird (Chinese-made, of course) that rather obviously was copied from the MPC body and sized up a scale point. :blink:

5 hours ago, Roncla said:

And what about the Bruce Larsen Pro Stock Vega ?. Round 2 website  is still showing it as coming in 2017..... Its certainly on the slow boat from China. 

Maybe it will get reissued some day, but it's no longer happening. See also Barris' Bed Buggy, Elegant Farmer, Touch Tone Terror. It happens. Kits are announced, art work is readied, and there's an issue with the model itself.

Do the forthcoming Rat Trap Vega and the Ridge Runner Pinto share the same chassis and maybe engine, too? Not sure how generic the cars in this series are.

Here are the directions for both the Rat Trap Vega and the Ridge Runner Pinto.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/modified-asphalt--d/amt-rat-trap-vega-0/?view=roll#1

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/modified-asphalt--d/amt-ridge-runner-pinto-/

Same Chassis, Wheels, Tires, & Engine Block in each kit. Different Air Cleaners and Bodies, and decals. The one piece chassis is far easier to get together than the other AMT Modified kits. The One Piece chassis is IIRC, modeled after a famous East Coast Racing Chassis, but I don't remember the details.

Big Donkey Resin has loads of parts to personalize these kits, and his work is top notch. I hope that the sales are good enough to get the Vega Kit run as well.

Nothing really floating my boat on these, except possibly the wheel/tire pack.  I have a couple of the 69 Chevelles and the MPC 69 Firebird Coupe.  From a previous post, I even have the 65 Riviera, although I may check out to see if anything extra that is exciting.  Nothing else of interest.

Now, if AMT retooled the Gen 6 Camaro to a ZL1 with a correct LT4 "top end", that WOULD generate some interest.  Also would be nice if they could dig up the AMT Open Road Camper Van, the MPC Cosworth Vega and a 67 Chevy pickup.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

5 hours ago, alexis said:

Here are the directions for both the Rat Trap Vega and the Ridge Runner Pinto.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/modified-asphalt--d/amt-rat-trap-vega-0/?view=roll#1

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/modified-asphalt--d/amt-ridge-runner-pinto-/

Same Chassis, Wheels, Tires, & Engine Block in each kit. Different Air Cleaners and Bodies, and decals. The one piece chassis is far easier to get together than the other AMT Modified kits. The One Piece chassis is IIRC, modeled after a famous East Coast Racing Chassis, but I don't remember the details.

Big Donkey Resin has loads of parts to personalize these kits, and his work is top notch. I hope that the sales are good enough to get the Vega Kit run as well.

It might be fun to try to make a "late model street rod" out of one of these things. Big N little wheels/tires, some kind of a nosepiece with headlights, windshield, two seats.....

Hey, I've seen crazier ideas actually done in 1:1. :blink:

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Now, if AMT retooled the Gen 6 Camaro to a ZL1 with a correct LT4 "top end", that WOULD generate some interest.  Also would be nice if they could dig up the AMT Open Road Camper Van, the MPC Cosworth Vega and a 67 Chevy pickup.

Yes on the van and pickup!  Cosworth Vega?  That must be a really rare piece as I've never even heard of a kit of it, never mind seen one.

I am in for the Pinto Chevelle and Firebird. As for the Revell Chevelle, I have to see it first. Revell has been very disappointing to me lately.

Didn't someone make a decal for the AMT Chevelle tail lights that you used after filling the hole?

Edited by Sledsel

17 hours ago, Deano said:

Yes on the van and pickup!  Cosworth Vega?  That must be a really rare piece as I've never even heard of a kit of it, never mind seen one.

This is a Cosworth Vega- Twin cam motor, limited production. Shot this picture at the Petersen Automotive Museum this past summer.

IMG_0078.JPG

Edited by mikemodeler

50 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

This is a Cosworth Vega- Twin cam motor, limited production. Shot this picture at the Petersen Automotive Museum this past summer.

IMG_0078.JPG

Yep!  Knew about the real one, owned a 75.  Comment was made referring to an "MPC Cosworth Vega".  An alleged model kit.

16 minutes ago, Deano said:

Yep!  Knew about the real one, owned a 75.  Comment was made referring to an "MPC Cosworth Vega".  An alleged model kit.

I don't believe there was a Cosworth Vega kit and I can't imagine Round2 will tool up a decal sheet, a set of wheels and a complete engine to do one either!

3 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

If MPC had ever done a Cosworth Vega I would have already built a few. I have some gold decals from Keith Marks just in case I want to attempt one. 

I seem to recollect they did one in mid-70's but I didn't buy as I was too busy at work with a job change and new organization.  I recollect it as a one year only.  Maybe I'm dreaming,  Or maybe it was proposed and never showed up (Ghost Kit).  Anyway, would be nice to have a Cosworth Vega

On 11/19/2018 at 2:46 PM, alexis said:

Ahhh. That would make sense. Kinda two for the price of one. The Gremlin might be a third car in the series. I'm not sure.

The Gremlin kit has a dirt track chassis that was also used on the Mustang Modified and the old 40 Ford, Chevy, and Plymouth modifieds. It's different from the Pinto and Vega modifieds. It also has a truncated multi-piece body. You could always chop off the fenders of one of the recent stock Gremlin releases. There's also a resin Gremlin asphalt modified body available. It would be nice if they re-released the "Slammer Modified" since that came with several different hoods and firewalls, unlike the Pinto and Vega, as I recall. 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:44 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

I seem to recollect they did one in mid-70's but I didn't buy as I was too busy at work with a job change and new organization.  I recollect it as a one year only.  Maybe I'm dreaming,  Or maybe it was proposed and never showed up (Ghost Kit).  Anyway, would be nice to have a Cosworth Vega

I could swear I've seen the box, either in hobby shops back in the day or on the Net, but I carefully googled for it today and could find neither a kit box nor any mention of a kit. So I guess you and I must both be "misremembering" such a thing. :wacko:

On November 20, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Sledsel said:

I am in for the Pinto Chevelle and Firebird. As for the Revell Chevelle, I have to see it first. Revell has been very disappointing to me lately.

Didn't someone make a decal for the AMT Chevelle tail lights that you used after filling the hole?

Yes, Speedway Decals makes them.