Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

29 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Pretty sure the Smokey & the Bandit T/A still has the "PC" incorrect GA State Flag on the decal sheet though, it's just not on the box art anymore.

Good to know if true.........how long will it be that all Swastika and rising sun decals are deleted from WWII aircraft kits??? After all it didn't really happen.....(I know EURO is already doing this)

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Good to know if true.........how long will it be that all Swastika and rising sun decals are deleted from WWII aircraft kits??? After all it didn't really happen.....(I know EURO is already doing this)

Many military kits have taken to a very simple "add a step" method of including Swastikas such as this example from Special Hobby in a recent Blohm und Voss kit.

sh72340reviewlp_5.jpg

I've seen decals done that way....OK I guess......

I don't build a bunch of WWII models but do enjoy now and then. Mainly after I married my wife. Her Dad was in Europe from the start of US involvement and was there until 1961. He freed a few of the concentration camps and told me in detail stories of his stay in Europe. Clouding the past, WWII the most, is a insult to all who served abroad and at home.

Sorry....off the box.....thanks 

The swastika ban has been law in Germany since the 40's. If anything the trend lately has been relaxing on it (see the recent Wolfenstein video game decision)   If your products move though Germany in any way they cannot have swastikas in any form, they will be seized at customs.  Seen it happen.  It's law and it's been law for a long time, it doesn't have anything to do with being "PC".  As I said, the trend appears to be relaxing towards allowing them in a historical context.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

I inquired about the MPC Larson Vega a short time back and this was their response:

Hi Tom,

Time constraints, cost and the desire to ensure the required new tooling is done as well as possible has delayed this project. The item is cancelled from the price lists but will be developed as time and resources permit. Once the project is complete and a release is imminent, it will be announced again under a new item number.

Doug Ridge
Customer Service
Round 2. LLC.
4073 Meghan Beeler Court
South Bend, IN 46628
1-888-910-2889

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

AMT 1151 -- 1/25 Dyno Don Nicholson's Mercury Cyclone Eliminator II Funny Car

d1e5e47a-2d3d-4da3-be44-3a73e5d6e2b2.jpg

Are you saying this is coming back? 

I'll buy and build one out of pure nostalgia, although the kit isn't the least bit accurate (although parts of the body are actually better than the '90s kit). 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:02 AM, Brett Barrow said:

The swastika ban has been law in Germany since the 40's. If anything the trend lately has been relaxing on it (see the recent Wolfenstein video game decision)   If your products move though Germany in any way they cannot have swastikas in any form, they will be seized at customs.  Seen it happen.  It's law and it's been law for a long time, it doesn't have anything to do with being "PC"...

Thanks for clearing that up.  Lots of countries have similar laws, nothing to do with being PC, as you said.  When I worked in Saudi Arabia, I went in a toy store where the owner had taken a black marker and edited out the Balkenkreuz on the box of every Airfix German WWII aircraft.  Public display of the Christian cross was illegal there.  Other toy and hobby stores didn't do that, so maybe that owner just wanted to make sure he didn't get on the wrong side of the Religious Police.

We should be glad we're not building models in Hungary.  That country bans the swastika, the hammer-and-sickle, the red Soviet star, and any symbols that call to mind the Fascist Arrow-Cross government during WWII.  Probably along with some other banned stuff that I forgot. 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:02 AM, Brett Barrow said:

The swastika ban has been law in Germany since the 40's. If anything the trend lately has been relaxing on it (see the recent Wolfenstein video game decision)   If your products move though Germany in any way they cannot have swastikas in any form, they will be seized at customs.  Seen it happen.  It's law and it's been law for a long time, it doesn't have anything to do with being "PC".  As I said, the trend appears to be relaxing towards allowing them in a historical context.  

If I ever start building armor, I'm going to replace all the swastikas with angry face emojis.

Image result for mean face emoji

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

If I ever start building armor, I'm going to replace all the swastikas with angry face emojis.

Image result for mean face emoji

IIRC, there really aren't all that many swastikas on German armor. Maybe on flags, but on the tanks themselves, not so much. Iron crosses sometimes, but even those weren't on everything. 

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

IIRC, there really aren't all that many swastikas on German armor. Maybe on flags, but on the tanks themselves, not so much. Iron crosses sometimes, but even those weren't on everything. 

To be pedantic about it, as usual:  the square-edged cross on German armor (and aircraft) was the Balkenkreuz.  The Iron Cross is the German medal later made popular by surfers and Tom Daniel. :lol:

You're right, the Germans in WWII rarely painted swastikas on tanks. They did use big swastika flags for air recognition, to make sure German vehicles didn't get attacked by their own Stukas.

The pic below is a contrary example.  This captured T-34 has the whole commander's hatch painted with a swastika.  The painting is crudely done, probably by the crew in the field.  After about mid-1943, as the tides of war shifted, that would have been too dangerous.  By then, that swastika would most likely draw the attention of a Russian IL-2 Sturmovik. Or "flying tank."

balk.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof2

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

To be pedantic about it, as usual:  the square-edged cross on German armor (and aircraft) was the Balkenkreuz.  The Iron Cross is the German medal later made popular by surfers and Tom Daniel. :lol:

I knew that. Just didn't know how many others here did. B)

On 2/12/2019 at 11:51 PM, 1972coronet said:

Not to open a crate of oranges here , but...  That iconic symbol has its roots in other cultures ; cultures which predate the devil out of the convoluted mess that the ß . et al. , employed . 

That's all that I'm going to say about that .

It was an Indian symbol of good fortune. Dates back to around 500 bc.

• 4 weeks later...

AMT 1130  -- 1/25 1923 Ford Model T Roadster Street Rod

AMT 1131 -- 1/25 1965 Chevelle Surf Wagon

AMT 1146 -- 1/25 1953 Ford Victoria Hardtop with Coca-Cola machine

AMT 1149 -- 1/25 1963 Chevy Impala SS

MPC 914 -- 1/8 Schwinn Stingray 5-Speed Bicycle

MPC 918 -- 1967 Pontiac GTO Race Version with Starting Light

MPC 919 -- 1969 Dodge Charger R/T Snap - Coca-Cola

1 minute ago, Robberbaron said:

Would this be the Street Rods kit that was only issued once back in the '70s?

Yes.  The '23 roadster shares some parts with the delivery van and depot hack (another one-shot issue).  The rod version chassis parts were shared with yet another one-shot kit, that awful, awful '34 Ford three-window coupe...