Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

I hate to say it because I use to not buy anything but AMT but now they are just selling box art the kit inside is junk. even with the discount at Hobby Lobby you are still paying 18.00 plus tax for a box of flash and warped parts. You can pay the same and get a nice new tooled kit from Revell. AMT has great selections but need to work on the tooling and QC. I will say the new tool AMT kits are great. I am through venting Happy Modeling!

I don't mind the CC branding as long as it doesn't cost me any more. I bought two of the recent CC branded '32 Ford SDs and will build them without any CC junk on them. The decal sheets in them are NICE, though, if you're a CC fan (which I'm not), and sooner or later I'll find someone who'll want to trade me something cool for one of them. 

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I don't mind the CC branding as long as it doesn't cost me any more. I bought two of the recent CC branded '32 Ford SDs and will build them without any CC junk on them. The decal sheets in them are NICE, though, if you're a CC fan (which I'm not), and sooner or later I'll find someone who'll want to trade me something cool for one of them. 

We just need  some Captain and Coke decals. :)

Who issued that Peerless originally? I had one from a show vendor in CA that came in an unmarked box, his story was he bought a shipment of them as unclaimed freight and was blowing them out at $10 a pop. It was silver with maroon trim and very pretty (but got left behind in the move to IL :().

19 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Maybe they know we're all broke from taxes so they gave us a month of new releases that no one cares about?

February is Chinese New Years, so pickings are always slim in March/April while the factories spool back up. There were multiple releases in Dec/Jan/February and outside the 1% here most people won't realize when what kits got where in terms of there being only three automotive releases in March & April.

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Trek has always been a gold mine for the kit makers.   Personally, the Discovery is one of the few Trek designs I do like.

Discovery is actually heavily based on a preliminary design of the Enterprise for the first Star Trek movie of 1979.

Star-Trek-Planet-of-the-Titans-Adams-McQuarrie.jpg

Edited by Classicgas

17 hours ago, Classicgas said:

78 Dodge is good. Waste of plastic on ST Discovery. I do wish round2 would include gauge decals like Revell.

There are quite a few R2 reissues that have gauge decals.

I've scavenged them off decal sheets for the ones that don't.

I'd like to see them included on all, and the way they know that is to drop them a nice email, without calling their stuff a 'waste of plastic'.  

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Discovery is actually heavily based on a preliminary design of the Enterprise for the first Star Trek movie of 1979.

I know, and it's original purpose was for a 1978 Star Trek TV series that eventually got turned into the movie.  I've always liked the McQuarryprise, and it's why I like the DIscovery.

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

It's a interesting design. I think it would have been a good design for Enterprise. I have no love for what I see on the show ST Discovery.

I'd have to say, my favourite Trek series is The Orville.  Yes, sometimes it borders on the downright purile, but they seem to have a better handle on what Trek is about than the writers of Discovery.

I'm of two minds about Discovery.  On the up side, it certainly looks pretty, and I love that they're tried to make aliens actually look alien.  It doesn't look like Old Trek, but of the many virtues of that show, production design wasn't one of them.  Even Roddenberry leapt at the chance to change things up when he had a movie budget to play with.  My biggest irritation is the writing,  which is a dog's breakfast of nostalgia bombs and lame attempts at drama, with storylines apparently laid out with the aid of an ouija board.   Then again, The Next Generation's first couple of seasons were pretty rough too, so I'll willing to cut them a little slack for now.   I don't have to pay extra up here to watch it, which may colour my decision to be a little more forgiving. 

However, The Expanse still blows both series away, and someone should look into releasing some model kits based on it.  I can't be the only one who would like the Rocinante sitting on my model shelf.

Rocinante.jpg

And yes,  maybe not every choice is what you want, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of plastic.  I know I've been skeptical of some of Round2's choices,  but someone, somewhere is fulfilling their childhood dream of a 1979 Pinto model, and that's okay.

I just get grumpy when they charge Tamiya prices for old AMT kits, and they don't even bother to clean up the moulds a bit.

I'm TOS. Watched a couple seasons of NG, one of Voyager, 1/2 of Enterprise, 1 episode of DS9. Saw 2 JJ films, hate it.  I really didn't mean a literal waste of plastic, I'm sure there are those interested. It would be interesting to modify it into the Mcquarrie ship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 3:06 AM, Luc Janssens said:

If it sells to those interest groups, why not? it might even pay for something I might be interested in...

This just in.....

For 2020, Round 2 will be issuing their entire catalog in Coca Cola livery!!!!!

Speculators, start stocking up!

19 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

This just in.....

For 2020, Round 2 will be issuing their entire catalog in Coca Cola livery!!!!!

Speculators, start stocking up!

The Trans Am bird in your avatar will be modified to hoisting a bottle of cool refreshing Coke to its open beak!