Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

On 5/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, Classicgas said:

It would be great but I'm just not going to count on a major kit manufacturer doing a 4 door.

22 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Well , 30-odd years ago MPC did just that with their 1978 Monaco...

11 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Yes, but you can pretty much count on one hand the 4 door plastic kits.

Oh really?? :huh: As 1972 mentioned, MPC did just that with the Monaco, but there are several major kit manufacturers making 4 door kits in several different forms no matter what genre or era of vehicle you are into. If you can count these on one hand you have a LOT of fingers on that hand, because just out of my personal collection I have 36 different kits that are 4 door vehicles, and it you want to stretch it 38 since I also have a Johan Cadillac ambulance and an Ecto 1 but did not include them since they were more a commercial modification, but they do still have 4 doors! There are also many others that I don't have in my collection such as cars from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and probably even more than that, so you better have a LOT of fingers to count all the 4 doors on one hand! :lol:

20190601_194405.thumb.jpg.cfaba125b359aef5f729bfe580fe84e9.jpg

11 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I think I'll buy the Supernatural Chevy and use it as a lazy stand in for a Dirty Mary Crazy Larry 70 Chevy............most will not notice....

Ummm...the Impala in "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" was a 66 the last time I checked. :huh: I believe it would be noticed too if the car was actually a 70. 

The Impala from"Dirty Mary Crazy Larry":

i028163.jpg.2184665cee3c3a9966d2705c75ad211f.jpg

5004v_4105.jpg.8044060838c611fec33423344cf9e31d.jpg

And a 1970 Impala 4 door:

84b20e19e0b23b80c34f093a8d34baff.jpg.2c429a8dd979248a99ab8ffc93ccf901.jpg

1970-chevrolet-impala-gold-4-door-sedan-4-door-70-v8-edelbrock-85k-miles-5.jpg.1aa102af5fed6431dafbfd9831ada468.jpg

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very interesting! Assuming that they really come out with a 4-door body, I'll be converting one to a 2-door. If the roofline doesn't look acceptably close to a real 2DS, I'll do it anyway, perhaps as a phantom "Bel Air 2DHT." 

I'm also hoping to convert one to a 2-door sedan.  1967 was the only year that the Bel Airs shared their taillight design with the Impalas instead of the Biscaynes, so converting one to a Bel Air would save time vs. fabbing Biscayne taillights.

13 hours ago, highway said:

Oh really?? :huh: As 1972 mentioned, MPC did just that with the Monaco, but there are several major kit manufacturers making 4 door kits in several different forms no matter what genre or era of vehicle you are into. If you can count these on one hand you have a LOT of fingers on that hand, because just out of my personal collection I have 36 different kits that are 4 door vehicles, and it you want to stretch it 38 since I also have a Johan Cadillac ambulance and an Ecto 1 but did not include them since they were more a commercial modification, but they do still have 4 doors! There are also many others that I don't have in my collection such as cars from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and probably even more than that, so you better have a LOT of fingers to count all the 4 doors on one hand! :lol:

20190601_194405.thumb.jpg.cfaba125b359aef5f729bfe580fe84e9.jpg

I was referring more to mainstreamer type vehicles from the 50's and 60's, sedans, etc.  Not suv's and related ilk, nor 20's and 30's cars. I have little interest in more modern subjects. The likelihood of a 4 door Chevy sedan is not good. I realize there are a number of 4 door vehicles out there. Heck, we have a hard time getting a manufacturer to give us a mainstream version of things like Nova's or Chevelle's. It happens but not often. I saw far more 4 door versions of a lot of the cars I grew up with than I did 2 door high performance versions. Not too mention Round 2 does not have a good track record of issuing new kits nor adding parts to existing ones. That 4 door would require a new body, interior and glass, and that is highly unlikely.

Edited by Classicgas

1 minute ago, Rusty92 said:

Still no updates on the Impala. Maybe they will show it off today? The coverage is spotty it seems

Yeah,   I've checked the Round 2 and Wonderfest FB pages, the only thing I've seen is Round 2's FB person confirmed it's a 4dr and the trunk doesn't open.   No pics yet.

6 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I was referring more to mainstreamer type vehicles from the 50's and 60's, sedans, etc.  Not suv's and related ilk, nor 20's and 30's cars. I have little interest in more modern subjects. The likelihood of a 4 door Chevy sedan is not good. I realize there are a number of 4 door vehicles out there. Heck, we have a hard time getting a manufacturer to give us a mainstream version of things like Nova's or Chevelle's. It happens but not often. I saw far more 4 door versions of a lot of the cars I grew up with than I did 2 door high performance versions. Not too mention Round 2 does not have a good track record of issuing new kits nor adding parts to existing ones. That 4 door would require a new body, interior and glass, and that is highly unlikely.

In your two comments I quoted, you said 4 DOORS and did not specify anything other than that! All of the kits in my picture fit what you specified in those previously quoted posts and unlike many here that seem to not realize there has been life after the 50s, 60s or 70s, I build anything from the 1886 Daimler Benz I have in my collection all the way to modern. I also have resin conversions I purposely left out that are 4 doors because you did specify plastic kits...wait, I forgot...resin conversions require one to buy more than just one kit...

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Round 2's FB person confirmed it's a 4dr and the trunk doesn't open.   No pics yet.

I’m hoping that a lot of modelers buy it (seems that it will sell well) and that also a ton of SPN enthusiasts buy it also. Even if they don’t build models they will buy it. My mother and father love the show and are building a 1:1 version of it. So I plan on doing 2 of the kit. One of the car when I found it for them and one of the finished product. 

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah,   I've checked the Round 2 and Wonderfest FB pages, the only thing I've seen is Round 2's FB person confirmed it's a 4dr and the trunk doesn't open.   No pics yet.

Do you think they will covert the 2 door molds like they did on the Monaco??

I'd think they probably tooled up a new body, interior and glass. Permanently altering the original mold wouldn't make sense for future reissues. Just too bad they used such ugly wheels on the series car, imagine it with a set of Torque Thrusts or daisy mags or anything but those cheapo truck wheels.

Does that '70 more door still have the '67 roof stamping?

Jayzuz, I'm preaching that 4 door thing for forty years now.
Until very recently, I was ridiculed for it.

Edited by Junkman

4 minutes ago, Junkman said:

The 69-70 4dr ht roofline looks more upright and squared off than the ‘67-68. 

16 minutes ago, Junkman said:

No. The roof skins are different between the 67-8 and the 69-70. Now the Station Wagon and Convertible roofs were the same from 65-70.

I want to do a 1965-66 4 Door Hardtop.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

8 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That’s a shame about the trunk since it’s one of the defining features of the show car. I’m hoping that someone will resin cast a trunk with the weapons for it.

5 hours ago, highway said:

In your two comments I quoted, you said 4 DOORS and did not specify anything other than that! All of the kits in my picture fit what you specified in those previously quoted posts and unlike many here that seem to not realize there has been life after the 50s, 60s or 70s, I build anything from the 1886 Daimler Benz I have in my collection all the way to modern. I also have resin conversions I purposely left out that are 4 doors because you did specify plastic kits...wait, I forgot...resin conversions require one to buy more than just one kit...

I knew exactly what he was talking about, guess I'm one of those who don't realize there has been life after the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I guess it sucks not to be you!

12 hours ago, highway said:

I guess I should have clarified myself better in my original comment. My main focus in my comment was mainstream far more common sedans that just are not covered well. How many 30's to 70's 4 door or even 2 door mainstream bare bones kits have been done? The kind our parents and grandparents largely drove? That sector is largely uncovered in my opinion. Show me a plastic 4 door 55 Chevy, 66 Buick Le Sabre, 69 Impala, 72 LTD. You are not going to find them. That is why I am not holding my breath for a 67 anything sedan. And nice little jab that some of us don't build resin. So what? Not everyone had miles deep pockets.

Edited by Classicgas

On 5/12/2019 at 12:55 AM, Scott - Elm City Hobbies said:

Tentative schedule of the releases.

AMT
1:24 Peterbilt 378 Long Hauler Semi Tractor - OCTOBER 2019

You mean 359? because the 378 Long Hauler is an Italeri kit?

Guys, I think we don't see a lot of mainstream 4-doors 'cause they just don't move off the shelves.

That said, I'm certainly up for the '67 Chevy sedan if they do it right.  Can't see why anyone would have a malaise wagon festooned with wood decals, either, but I'd certainly be all over a new kit just for the laughs.  If Round 2 ever develops plastic Bluesmobile/Service Monaco kits from the diecast patterns, I'm certainly there.